The Simple Complexities Behind the Fear of Commitment.

The Simple Complexities Behind the Fear of Commitment.

A Poem by Jeanmarie Flaherty
"

"This is this, and that is that, and he claimed I was a fairytale but I knew I was only Alice."

"

 

His footprints, all of them,


~though he claimed only two~


scattered themselves over my heart


as walking spoke of minutes and heartbeats broke clock hands and


moving


was impossible when every impossibility had been washed away


yesterday.




Call me crazy, I scattered, like mice through the kitchen when the lights turned on, and every single one of me


~though I claim to be whole~


shattered through voices like mirrors laughing at


seven years.




He turned me, you know, to discover upside down, and I loved it there


~though I claim to be sane~


existing through the strands of my hair, as sunlight scattered through the arrogance of red and summer sunsets, but you see...


the shadows brought upon by his hands were delightful and my heart skipped twice, honest with the way he made me feel, on the floor...


upside down....


and insane.




He kissed me, wholly, on the mouth before my skin felt fear, every goose bump rising to the promise of his lips...


for he could take me and erase me...


and count every second I twisted


turn me towards mirrors that scoffed at my luck while I wished for every year that curled me underneath


him


and broke my legs like the hands


that


knew


time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Jeanmarie Flaherty


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

each line leaves a footprint, keeps the reader interested.
all i can say is i truly dig it...your style forms beautifully, writings i could see myself reading over and over again.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You tell a story with your words. You say they are just you, but they are so much more. This was wonderful. The clock is a ticking....yes, a wonderful way to explain the fear. Beautifully written. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

your writing is very visual. a pleasure to read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoyed your style and the complexities of this poem... a great look into how relationships and love can change very quickly from something so perfect to the reality that perfection is impossible... This is outstanding and going in my favs.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The magic of your poetry completely unwinds time for me. When I read your words, words that are so ethereal and fluid, there is no movement around me... Only your words. Just brilliant in all respects!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
5 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 4, 2008

Author

Jeanmarie Flaherty
Jeanmarie Flaherty

The Gulf, FL



About
I am reality, I am art, I am every dream I've ever had and the corners of my childrens lips when they smile. I am tears and laughter, I am shoulders and knees, I am a writer, a photographer, a mother... more..

Writing