Oddly Enough, I've Bent My Mind Backwards, Into Him.

Oddly Enough, I've Bent My Mind Backwards, Into Him.

A Poem by Jeanmarie Flaherty

He's apparently...



not.all.there.


I'm losing something delicious, I'm locked in Wonderland and these doors are insecure, there's crumbs from the coffee and drops of cake on the counter, there's no way to clean an irrational mess...


there's no towels that are dry enough, I've drenched the bathtub with tears.



Kitchen floors are never reasonable and I'm missing out on something that could be mine, our bedroom is laughing at midnight and I'm not dreaming this time, the walls aren't lying, the sheets are...


cold.


I'll reflect on this someday while I completely ignore the filth of the city, I'll walk behind buildings that scream the same words he has, I'll caress cold cement lovingly as my skin becomes distant and it'll feel so much like home,


it'll feel like I'm right back next to him.


I see the lights dim and I wonder if he's aware it's only a matter of time, these rooms should be empty but they sing his name and I'm not sure of those photographs, they don't belong to me, I'm trying to figure out, these days, how not to care...


I'm watching closely how he does it...



He'll tell me one more time how he feels, he'll make me smile and I'll dream of knitting us blankets, I'll listen while he sleeps and decipher the secrets he's trying to keep...


I'll tell him I care, no matter how irrational this gets,


I'll smile and bathe in the tears he was incapable of cleaning up


and I'll wonder, as I crack the glass that encases all the hours we shouted this, I'll wonder how our words acquired the audacity to stick to walls,


I'll wonder how


I can still mention myself


beautiful.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2009 Jeanmarie Flaherty


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Within the touch and sweat of love there are the ever-tumbling questions of devotion. Always looking for the final grip, the hold of faithfulness and satisfaction. Never repeating; ever-learning; exploring something new.

Your poem is inspiring. It sticks to the walls of the mind like memories.

Very nice.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

brilliant, completely and utterly brilliant, my first response to words like these is usually a giant curse word to go with my jaw dropping, it is always a pleasure to meet with words like these

I looked at the title on the writings page several times before I got here, I'm so glad I came by.

Posted 14 Years Ago


usually there is a division between what is said and what we sense is being said. And that is what this poem senses I think. It focuses on the friction and confusion. Perspectives are always interesting. We wonder what is true...did he keep secrets, or did she just believe he did? You of course don't answer that, it's simply the polemic that you introduce...the dilemma.

I liked your use of imagery, that you effectively use keywords (like ''filth'') that convey emotion with the reader. And in the end, only one thing to me is important...that I enjoyed reading your work of prose.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The sense of conflict is well captured here...

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well written. Nice job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Great writing. You tugged at my arm asking me to stand for just a second to hear this...appealing. You wove metaphor through as great writers do...it's the way they see.

Keep it up Jeanmarie Marchese.

Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Well done, dear! I loved every moment of this. I love when people take a poem idea and form it in the way they want as opposed to living by some "unseen rules". As if there's a wrong way to do poetry. This is amazing and I'm glad I checked it out. Great imagery and fantastic read.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Within the touch and sweat of love there are the ever-tumbling questions of devotion. Always looking for the final grip, the hold of faithfulness and satisfaction. Never repeating; ever-learning; exploring something new.

Your poem is inspiring. It sticks to the walls of the mind like memories.

Very nice.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Really enjoyed this piece. Pulled me in and held my mind throughout. Well done!

Cheers!
FF

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Z
It is rare to read a poet and get sucked into the world created by him/her because the descriptive language is strong and fluid. You execute this masterfully. The raw emotion is pouring out of this poem, but not in a cheesy way at all.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.

You are a complete master at such vibrant imagery, words that play with reality, colors that are fresh and uncontrived... Brilliant writing, and such emotion that grips the mind and spirit instantly... You amaze me.

Craig

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

405 Views
11 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on January 23, 2009
Last Updated on January 23, 2009

Author

Jeanmarie Flaherty
Jeanmarie Flaherty

The Gulf, FL



About
I am reality, I am art, I am every dream I've ever had and the corners of my childrens lips when they smile. I am tears and laughter, I am shoulders and knees, I am a writer, a photographer, a mother... more..

Writing