The Questions that Arise in the Calm Before the Storm.

The Questions that Arise in the Calm Before the Storm.

A Poem by Jeanmarie Flaherty

I believe it was on Tuesday, when the Florida breezes questioned your whereabouts,


my daughter had her hand wrapped tightly around my fingers, index and middle, and we walked, slowly, as the spanish moss giggled, dancing around our feet,


I looked to the sky, I whispered my reply, I told the wind I'd get back to her later, I requested she not ask me again until...


Thursday afternoon.



You smiled, there was a ripple in the atmosphere, I tried to count your teeth only to separate myself from the situation, my toes were covered in sand-tainted soil that I had hoped to grow rose bushes in...


(four feet tall and covered in blooms, they'd be delightful, they'd be more....)


I told you I had lost my direction, you looked at me begging for tears, but the wind wrote us off that day and there was no sound...


whatsoever


coming from the east.



It's lazier down south, my daughter captures this in her laughter, I study her toes, thighs and cheeks as her mouth drinks in sunshine, I tell her...


it's going to be okay, I'll be here...


but I don't know the answers myself and it's Saturday, today, I wonder if the afternoon has found you, if she's kissed you, I wonder if I'll be left here, as the sky turns black with my tears...


I wonder if the Florida breeze will ever



let you go.

 

 

 

 

 

© 2009 Jeanmarie Flaherty


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your very good at descriptive storytelling.
Foe example "The spanish moss giggled...."
You really turn the atmosphere into something that is alive in the reader's mind rather than just descriptions thrown in to add more words to the overall piece,
Nicely done

Posted 14 Years Ago


So beautiful and gentle words. Description and detail was very good. You took me to the sea with you. Ending was perfect. A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


Your words are stunning, capturing a sense of thoughts drifting through your brilliant mind... Powerfully vivid, emotional, gripping... You paint so well with words...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
3 Reviews
Added on March 28, 2009

Author

Jeanmarie Flaherty
Jeanmarie Flaherty

The Gulf, FL



About
I am reality, I am art, I am every dream I've ever had and the corners of my childrens lips when they smile. I am tears and laughter, I am shoulders and knees, I am a writer, a photographer, a mother... more..

Writing