Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Book and the Elven Prince

The Book and the Elven Prince

A Story by BbCherryTomato
"

A girl stumbles into a decrepit bookshop that hurtles her into magical adventures she never even thought were possible.

"

The noise outside my room woke me up with a start, instantly bringing me back to reality. Strange, how waking up in my own bed brought more confusion than had I woken up lying on the damp, mossy ground.  It seems that I’m getting more used to the unusual escapades I’ve been engaging in these past few days.


It’s been six days since my adventure started. Who would’ve known that such a tattered, ancient book, found in a nondescript bookstore would bring me to worlds I had not even imagined!


I’ve swum with mermaids, battled Orc-like creatures, danced with Fairies, went treasure-hunting with a pirate, dined underground with dwarves, and even flew with the Eagle people!  Yesterday, I rode out with knights looking for dragon eggs! And I can’t wait to see where it would take me today.


Quickly donning my ripped jeans, loose sweatshirt and Keds, I grabbed my backpack and rushed out of my room. I tiptoed past the kitchen to avoid my mom. When I slipped out the door, I ran as fast as I could just in case she came around searching for me.


I was breathless by the time I reached my usual spot in the park and was immediately peeved when I saw an old guy in a tattered coat sitting on my favorite bench.  But, as I got nearer him, I realized that the man was not really old. And the coat he was wearing was not tattered. He was actually young with flowing platinum hair and was wearing a multi-colored robe. In his hand was a small, ornate box.


When he looked up, I found myself looking up at the most beautiful emerald-green eyes. He smiled and gracefully rose to his feet. He was almost a head taller than me and very handsome.


“You have passed all the tests, my Princess and I’m here to take you home with me,” he said, placing the box in my shaking hands.


“What tests?” I asked, slowly opening the box. Inside was a ring with the largest diamond I’d ever seen.


“The book that you’ve been reading brought you to the tests. And you passed them all.”


“I did? I didn’t even know they were tests! So, what happens now?”


“So now, you have to marry me, Prince Ulrich of the Elven Kingdom of Willowood. My father placed that book in our old sanctuary hoping that it would find a suitable mate for me.”


“Wait! The book didn’t say anything about marrying an Elven Prince!”


“Yes, it did. Look at the first page,” Ulrich said, smiling smugly.


I grabbed the book from my backpack and opened it. And there it was, written in tiny, gold letters at the bottom of page 1 " “By accepting this book, the owner agrees to undergo all tests and should she pass them all, to marry Prince Ulrich of Willowood.”


“See? I told you,” Ulrich said.


I slammed the book shut and fainted right into my Elven Prince’s arms.  

© 2017 BbCherryTomato


Author's Note

BbCherryTomato
Hey everyone! I need help with this one. This story was written in response to a writing challenge posted by a friend on twitter - "500-word Story involving an ancient book". I'm considering turning it into a multi-chapter story or novella (YA/Fantasy). Do you think the plot is worth developing? Is it interesting enough?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on August 8, 2017
Last Updated on August 8, 2017
Tags: fantasy, one-shot, prince, book, ancient tome, elves

Author

BbCherryTomato
BbCherryTomato

Binãn, Laguna, Philippines



Writing