The Fall of Civilisations

The Fall of Civilisations

A Poem by Beano

A restless river runs close by the copse
Inside the forest, ruins steadily decay
A stage that once sung, is overcome in silence
No more a theatre, but not yet just stone
The water continues with a mind of its own.
Times fallen soldiers appear over the way
Trapped by memory, they seek to go home,
Lost ancient cities appear in their midst
But it's hopeless to try guide Romans to Rome.
The pageant proceeds with rhythmic destruction
Those shimmering cities, they no longer exist
As the cast who played among them, scatter to dust.
The forest advances with an imperceptible burst
While white clouds above drift on.

© 2020 Beano


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ultimately, other than footnotes in history books, civilisations leave little to mark their passing and only really ever skim the surface of this beautiful gift of a planet. though we, in or arrogance, seem to consider them to be a greater triumph than nature itself.

Lately, I have been reading various passages from the Epic of Gilgamesh. It is quite fascinating and I found this poem to hold the same kind of fascination for me.

'Times fallen soldiers appear over the way.' Loved the imagery that line conjured up in my mind.

Beccy.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beano

3 Years Ago

Hello Beccy, thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

I've always been fas.. read more



Reviews

I love the stillness with a pending energy that the poem evokes. Life is grand and all-encompassing, but it also eventually ceases and some new cycle begins. When the Romans dominated, I wonder if they ever stopped to think that their reign was temporary. Guessing not, since hubris pretty much drove them outward until they could no longer sustain the empire they had amassed. And this pattern sees to be replayed over and over in human affairs. On both the macro and micro level.

I also love the way you explore the spirit of civilizations here and the things that make them, and then how those things become lasting parts of the spiritual landscape even with the physical has passed away. Your final two lines speak of the resilience and power of nature--even as man considers himself the ultimate force--the trees have a strength and endurance that far surpasses our own. Excellent poetry.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Beano

3 Years Ago

Thank you dear Eilis, for your kind words and keen eye! You have understood and interpreted my thou.. read more
There's a lot we can learn from this Beano. All things, all empires, come to an end but for some reason we think ours is exempt. Perhaps we are now not so sure. I'm guessing this might be a Corona inspired write but its a message for all times.
Hope you are doing fine. We are in the country so have been enjoying walks and bikes but like everyone missing family.
Cheers,
Alan.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beano

3 Years Ago

Hi Alan. Thank you for your perceptive and generous comments! The current situation has certainly he.. read more
Ultimately, other than footnotes in history books, civilisations leave little to mark their passing and only really ever skim the surface of this beautiful gift of a planet. though we, in or arrogance, seem to consider them to be a greater triumph than nature itself.

Lately, I have been reading various passages from the Epic of Gilgamesh. It is quite fascinating and I found this poem to hold the same kind of fascination for me.

'Times fallen soldiers appear over the way.' Loved the imagery that line conjured up in my mind.

Beccy.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beano

3 Years Ago

Hello Beccy, thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

I've always been fas.. read more
I'm not sure I would use Rise in the title, but it certainly is a wonderful description of a Fall. Even with the Roman reference, you have taken me back to the many ruins I have visited in the jungles of Latin America.

Posted 3 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roland Petrov

3 Years Ago

I love the new title because it's so inclusive. I'm still well, and I hope you will remain so too. W.. read more
Beano

3 Years Ago

I'll hold you to that! X
Roland Petrov

3 Years Ago

I'll hold myself to that!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
4 Reviews
Added on April 27, 2020
Last Updated on May 3, 2020

Author

Beano
Beano

London, United Kingdom



About
Mmm... Beano doesn't talk about himself in the third person. more..

Writing
Smoke Smoke

A Poem by Beano


Elegy Elegy

A Poem by Beano


Hecate Hecate

A Poem by Beano