A bird with a broken wing

A bird with a broken wing

A Story by Double~Curse

It's a sad thing, when a bird can't fly. Especially when it's all because of a broken wing. One that Man caused, at that. But you never know what a simple thing, such as a broken wing, could keep a bird from.
We begin with the end. 
A flock of birds, all kinds of birds, rise from the trees and shrubs at the edge of the forest, flying, on mass, over the ploughed autumn field. They notice the farmer, his gun, his collie, but think no more of them. They have a higher Calling.
As the farmer raises his gun, the flock change formation. They become less tightly packed, more orderly, and seem to be following a single, small, blackbird. 
The farmer aims, shoots, hits. He thinks that the following screeching, the crowing, the panic is due to the echoing sound of the shot, reverberating off the trees. How little he knows.
The small blackbird falls, wheeling and tumblingb over itself, spiralling down, coming to rest, silently, in the damp clods of earth.
The collie runs to fetch the blackbird, but when it is only half way to the injured creature, it springs back to life. The poor bird holds its left wing out and at an uncomfortable angle. He hops in the direction of the trees before attempting take off. He fails and the collie grows ever nearer. He hops. Further, faster, ever more frantic. He strains to fly, but the dog is so near now. Finally, he looks up at his flock and calls to them. They fall silent. All, that is, bar one. The one which now head the flock. That bird does not turn, does not slow, does not falter. It merely calls back as the flock roll away.
The collie finally reaches the struggling bird and siezes it in her mouth, causing him to call out in agony over his broken wing.
So, now, to the start of this tale.
It begins, as many fairy stories do, with a birth of a child to a troubled leader. 
Arik, a great and respected leader, from a long line of the very same, had eagerly awaited the arrival of the newest addition to the Black family. This child would be his heir. This child would continue to work for their Call. This child would be the next great and noble leader.
Finally, the day came when a small boy was delivered to this world. His mother named him Tamack.
The boy was to be raised as his father's son. Tamack had had his whole future laid out in front of him since the day he was conceived. He had no choice in the matter. He was to be taught of the Calling, taught to lead, taught to fight and just before their empire fell, lead the army to a victory which would never be forgot. The poor boy. He was clumsy and shy and picked on by the noble boys behind his father's back. He never was a leader.
Terrible though he was at leading, as well as fighting, he was completely committed to the Call. Whether this was, however, through love for his father, or genuinely wishing to honour it, is anyone's guess.
All of the noble boys were taught together. Tamack worked mostly alone, until a new boy joined, wanting to suck up to the boy with the power, they would befriend Tamack. That is, until they realised that he didn't hold any of the power at all. That honour belonged to Herniss. Herniss and Tamack were cousins, leaving Herniss second in line for command. Herniss beat Tamack at everything. He beat him in leadership. He beat him in fights. He beat him in numbers of friends. He quite literally beat him. But the one thing that no one could ever beat Tamack with was the Call.
All children of the Dynasty knew of the Call. No. Scratch that. Every PERSON in the Dynasty knew of the Call. 
It had become known, in time, that in a few small corners of their kingdom, were giant creatures which roamed the land for food. Only thier vision of food was very different to the plants, fruits and creatures that the Dynasty were so used to eating. They will roam the land looking for a person. When they find one, they kill it and will eat it. Sometimes strange creatures even help them. It was not clear what the giant creatures held over the smaller ones, other than height, but whatever it was must have been significant considering the creatures sought no reward for their labours. It also soon became clear that there were times at which more people were taken and savagely murdered for the table of the giants. It was at this time that the rebellion was planned. When Tamack took charge of the army, they would fight the giants for the lives of their people. This was the Call. There was no higher honour than to be in that final army. 
Time passed. Tamack grew more courageous, more powerful, as did Herniss. Tamack had never yet beaten Herniss when Arik returned from a day of hunting, wounded. Arik retreated to private rest and as he grew weaker, sent for Tamack.
Arik informed Tamack that the army was arranged to meet there, at the castle, at dawn. He reminded his son of the laws of the land, the rules of the Dynasty, his Dynasty and told him,
"My son, there is no higher Call. If you fail this, then I must turn you away at the gates of paradise"
Arik's heart stopped, leaving Tamack the leader of the Dynasty.
Morning came, the army gathered, Tamack prepared, Herniss stood proud, Arik's spirit stood in wait.
Tamack left the castle and entered the temporary army camp. It was there that he announced his father's death, there that he claimed his birth right to lead and there, for the first time, that no one, not even Herniss, doubted his leadership skills. Though Herniss did still stake his claim to be leader of the Call, all the army rose against him. Tamack was victorious. He prepared his army and lead them in the ride to the domain of the giant. 
We return now to our end.
They rose as one, riding the breeze to save their wings. The entire army flew out into the open, a mass of confusion, gradually sorting itself as the giant and his beast approached. As the giant raised his weapon, Tamack took his rightful place at the head of the army, on the way to the first battleground. The Turkey farm.
The giant fired his weapon and it caught the folding joint of Tamack's left wing, splintering the feathers and shattering the bones. He could no longer fly and was sent tumbling, the army reeling, screaming, terrified, looking for their leader. Everyone, everywhere, had only one name in their minds: Herniss. 
Tamack hit the ground, unconscious, unaware of the mutiny occurring above him. He regained consciousness with his wing still out at his side, in mortal agony, fully aware of the she-beast on her way to collect him for the giant. He ran, terrified, trying with all his might to fly. He must go to the Call. If he does not, he can not enter paradise.
With the she-beast upon him, Tamack looked up at his army and yelled to them.
"Help! You traitors, come down here and carry your leader to the battleground!"
The flock fell silent to allow Herniss to be heard.
"Is that any way to speak to the leader of the Call?"
Tamack had no time to be indignant, to be angry, to be upset, or even to process this before the she-beast had in her jaws. This caused Tamack such agony that he screamed and cried.
The last thing that Tamack heard before he died of pain, was Herniss leading the rest of the flock in laughter and mockery over his rief and failed attempt of being the leader of the Call.

© 2015 Double~Curse


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Holy cow, oh my god, this story is really really really good!
Man, you had at the edge of my sit since the beggining till the end, so much has this story, mistery behind it and great imagination, I do enjoy this a lot and is hoping to read more.
Awesome write!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Double~Curse

9 Years Ago

Thanks, but I mainly do torture stories...
Lizardo

9 Years Ago

really? sounds interesting
Double~Curse

9 Years Ago

Then I'll just have to put one up tomorrow then

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 29, 2015
Last Updated on March 29, 2015

Author

Double~Curse
Double~Curse

United Kingdom



Writing
Love Love

A Poem by Double~Curse


Caged Caged

A Story by Double~Curse