A Tale From Our Wandering in the Woods

A Tale From Our Wandering in the Woods

A Story by B. Bassett
"

One of the first stories I've ever written (5 yrs ago). It has been published in The Bayou Review, a college literary journal. Just a tale of an encounter in the woods. Interpret it however you like.

"
Two
Despite the increasing darkness, we sought a need to continue our journey.  Fingers entwined, feet crackling the dry leaves and twigs beneath us; we challenge the purple sky and its thermonuclear fusion. We finally sit; cross-legged, side by side. I see faces in the flames of the persimmon fire we sparked. I welcome them, knowing of its inevitable warmth. Not forever will the moon shine upon us, but shine upon us it does. Naked, in the sense of protection, we made our way through the rugged, hunting for a feast. Left our comfort for a chance encounter with a beast?
One 
A ghastly creature towered above us. The dry leaves and twigs crackled once more as we bolted, fingers entwined. Seizing us upon a minutes sprint, the creature intended to kill. So it did. A gory murder I’m ashamed to have witnessed. My dear friend, a sacrifice for my own, now worthless breathing. It is at ease with a full stomach, so I make my way. I no longer notice the crackling, and my fingers are numb from the cold. Where to now?
Zero
Exhaustion overcomes me. This never-ending quest to find the land I was, in the beginning, trying to escape. Sweat and tears gushed from my face. There was no sense of fear, only determination. My legs ached. These shoes blistered my feet, so I freed my toes and continued. From afar, I see lights, oh so many lights. I hear noise, so much noise. It’s a disappointing sight of freedom, but it’s the only thing in sight, without looking behind.
Perhaps, I should have? 
Fin

© 2010 B. Bassett


Author's Note

B. Bassett
I may have overlooked some mistakes, if you see any, please bring them to my attention.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked this ^^ I found it interesting how, whilst you were telling us the tale, there was a countdown going on in the background. The questions at the end of each paragraph captured my interest too. Over all, a great short story.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 27, 2010
Last Updated on June 27, 2010