Chance

Chance

A Story by kurothecat

The sky was a dark shade of gray. Though the air seemed to be heavy with gloom, the city was bustling. Along the sidewalk laid trash and people who had found a small amount of comfort on graffiti-covered benches. Cyclists rushed by, a lane to themselves. Stoplights flashed from green to yellow, cars speeding up. Oftentimes, drivers would speak to one another in the language known as honking. Sirens would ring from time to time, disturbing those who tried to find a peace of mind. The smell of meat flowed through the streets as people walked past vendors. A crowd of people surrounded a screen. An accident has taken place in the city. Some furrowed their eyebrows, others brushing it off, glad it didn't happen to them. 
A young boy, about seven years-old, followed his mother's lead. He shoved his hands in the pockets of his jacket, the color of snow. Every so often, he would tug on his mother's shirt, trying to keep up with her fast pace. She paid no mind to it. She was occupied with a call from her lawyer, the decision to break off her marriage being discussed. The boy saw a boy full of miscellaneous trinkets. He nudged his mother, pointing towards the store. Looking forward, she shook her head and started to walk faster. The boy continued to stare at the store, not noticing he was being left behind.
"Mum?" He called. Strangers passed by, some shoving the child aside. He tried again, "Mum? Mum! Where are you?" He was terrified. His chin quivered, tears welling up. Just as they were about to fall, the boy noticed a small alley between a few buildings. Hiding there, was a girl curled up into a ball. With his sleeve, he wiped his eyes and plopped down next to her.
"Are you lost too?" He asked.
"Y-You can see me?" The girl replied, her speech muffled.
"Huh?" The boy tilted his head. "Of course I can see you! Look." He pointed to his eyes.
"Whenever I try asking people where my home is, they just walk right past me! When they bump into me, their eyes go like this," She held her eyes wide open. "and they look around. They act like there's a ghost or something!"
"A ghost?"
"Yep, a ghost!"
"That's weird." An idea popped into the boy's head. "Wanna go to a store I saw earlier? They have a lot of cool stuff!"
"Like what?" She became noticeably curious. 
"Like... Like..." The boy held his chin, trying to remember. "You'll see when we get there!" He got up and held his hand out. "Come on!"
The girl nodded, "Sure!" She put her hand in his. 
The two headed to the store, the name Treasure Hint Antiques in rusted letters at the top of the building. As they pushed the door, the bell jingled. A young woman welcomed them, then continued to scroll on her phone. Classical music could be faintly heard from the speakers. The children wandered about, fascinated by their surroundings. All the items had tiny white tags attached to them. A floral-patterned lamp illuminated the room. Objects cluttered on wooden furniture. Paintings hung from the walls, some of green meadows and others of starry nights. Not many people were inside, other than a man that seemed to be scrutinizing an old camera. The girl passed by an old mirror, the gold frame covered in dust. She stopped in front of it, trying to find herself in the glass.

“Eh?” As the boy walked up to the girl, a tear rolled down her cheek.

“W-What’s wrong? Don’t cry!” He didn’t know why she was crying, but tried to comfort her anyway. He didn’t like when people cried.

The little girl picked up a storybook she was reading previously. The book had been placed flat down, saving her place.

“It’s just… The story’s so sad!” She whimpered. She showed him the page. There, was a woman dressed in vibrant colors. She looked like a queen, her beauty radiating. She was smiling, but her eyes seemed to be holding back tears.

“Goodbye,” the woman whispered. “I love you.”

The next page displayed a man, crying hysterically, begging the woman not to go. He reached out to her, but as the little girl turned the page, the woman was gone.

“It’s… So sad…” More tears stained the girl’s face.

“Well…” The boy scratched his head. “Sometimes, you have to say goodbye to people you care about. But it’s okay!”

“It’s okay?”

“Yeah! Because there will always be others there to make you feel better!” The boy made a thumbs-up.

“You’re right!” The girl wiped her eyes with her sleeve. “You know, you’re pretty cool…” The boy’s cheeks were tinted with pink.

“I am not.” He shook his head, so much it might have fallen off.

“What’s your name?” The girl asked.

“Akira.” he replied.

“I’m Renu!”

The children continued to talk, until Akira’s mother found him. Red-faced and out of breath, it was obvious she was furious. She scolded him, taking ahold of his hand.

“Can I come with you?” Renu questioned.

“Huh? Why? Aren’t your parents going to be worried?”

“I don’t have any parents. I think.”

“You don’t?”

“Nope. They’re gone.”

“Oh...Then… I guess you could come with us. Mum, can she go?”

“Can who go? Who are you talking to?” His mother’s head titled to the side.

“Renu!”

“Renu? Who is that?”

“Her!” He pointed to the girl.

“No time for games, Akira. Let’s go!” His mother pulled him towards the door. Renu was close behind, following the two.

The employee spoke to herself, “Imaginary friends, huh. I used to have one when I was at that kid’s age…”


- Five years later -


“Aren’t you a little too old to have imaginary friends?” His mother asked.

“Renu isn’t imaginary! Can you really not see her?”

“No, I can’t, because ‘she’ is imaginary!” Her fingers made little air quotes as she spoke. Akira looked over to Renu. Her arms were wrapped around herself,  lost in her own thoughts. Her eyes were tinted with dullness. She turned to the two, trying to think of what to say.

“U-Um…” She attempted to speak.

“Forget it. Let’s go, Renu.” He grabbed her hand. He could feel her warmth through her hand as her pulled her along. She’s right here, why can’t people see that, he thought.

“Akira…” Renu stared at the back of his head as they walked away.


- Ten years later, now -


“Renu, can you do the dishes now?”

“Later.” She replied, face down on the couch.

“You said that seven minutes ago!” Akira exclaimed, fists clenched.

“Sh…” She started to doze off.

“Fine! I’ll do them for you, just this once!” It was the third time he said that. This week.

“Thanks Aki…”

The two have lived together for eleven years. Before, they stayed with Akira’s family, until he saved up enough to move out. The apartment complex they live in now isn’t as nice as his family’s home, but it’s something. Occasionally, a dog can be heard from the house next door. Other times, the shrill voice of their neighbor jamming out in the shower escapes the confines of the bathroom. The place itself was quite cozy. The rooms were small, but not cramped. The grey walls haven’t peeled that much, and the carpet was fluffy to the touch. Overall, it was suitable for both of them.

“I have to head to work soon. Don’t make too much of a mess.”

“I want to go too.”

“You can’t.”

“Why?”

He cleared his throat, pressing his fist on his mouth. “Hello, you’re…”

“Oh... I forgot.”

“How can you…”

Over the years, the two discovered something.


Renu is invisible.


Neither of them know why, but no one can see her. Except Akira, of course. Whenever Akira asked others about her, they either laugh and ask him if he’s joking or check to see if he’s not insane.

“Maybe I’m a ghost,” Renu jokes. She tends to say that often.

Renu doesn’t seem to be a ghost, as she has a physical body. Then again, supernatural occurrences don’t have much explanation. Ghosts and such are unknown to mankind.

“Wait… If no one can see me, there shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll just watch!”

“No. You’re not allowed.”

“It’s boring here!”

“No.”

“But-”

“No. See you later.” He shut the door. Still, he heard her complaints as he walked away. He started to speak to himself, “Ah… I should buy some groceries on the way home.” He headed to work, a full-time job as a systems support worker. The sounds of birds singing were nowhere to be found. Instead, the beautiful melody of cars honking and people passing by filed the air. Akira turned left, past a clothing store, whose name was well-known throughout the country. He rushed down the steps, about to get on the train. The train started to move, the passengers swaying back and forth.

* * *

Renu, on the other hand, laid flat on her back on their couch. Akira had found an inexpensive one near their complex and decided to keep it. Both sides of the couch slanted towards the middle. The dusty, brown color of it looked quite unattractive.

“Ugh… I’m bored.” She rolled off, muttering “ow” as she hit the ground. Pictures flashed on the TV screen, but that didn’t entertain her for long. She rummaged through the fridge, finding only a couple of water bottles and beer inside. Disappointed, she closed the door. “I want to go outside…” Renu hadn’t been outside for about a year. She never had the need to. Before, she would spend hours and hours gaming or going on the internet - until Akira scolded her and hid them. Other times, she’d read the books that Akira brought her. But now, boredom has taken over. Renu pulled on her blueberry-colored hair, the lengths uneven. Since she couldn’t get her hair cut at a barbershop, she decided to do it herself. With a knife. Fortunately, she made it out without getting cut. That was long ago, hair now reaching past her shoulders. She put on a faded pilot jacket she bought at the antique store from a few years back.

Renu paused for a moment. “Ah, what am I doing? It’s not like anyone can see me, anyways.” She quietly laughed to herself.


* * *


“You always seem so tired in the morning, Akira.” Shon, a fellow employee, commented.

“I do? Hmm.”

“Sleeping late isn’t good for you. You’re still a growing boy!”

“Uh-huh. Concentrate on your work.”

“Hey! Listen to your senior!” Shon leaned back in his chair. He tugged on his bangs, covering his eyes. “Hey, Akira…”

“Hm?”

“Think the past can be changed?”

“Huh? Where’s this coming from?”


“Nevermind… It’s nothing.” He got up, exclaiming, “Alright! Back to work!” A couple of people nearby shushed him.

* * *


She walked around, a hop in her step. She passed by a small cafe, the smell of freshly-baked cookies pulling her inside. As she reached for a chocolate chip cookie, her conscience gave her a tiny reminder. She fumble around, searching through her pockets. The puzzled cashier found a few coins and a red button on the counter.

Renu munched on her cookie. She was mesmerized by all the people swarming about. Towards the side, she noticed the trees have turned bright shades of red and yellow.

“So it’s fall now, huh. Wasn’t that time…” A feeling of emptiness went through her. Startled, she turned around. A stranger had past by. Right through her. I must be imagining things, she thought, shaking. She backed away, but the feeling came back. Over and over, a gaping hole being blown by the wind. Renu started to panic. In the past, people haven’t been able to see her, but if they came into contact with her, they’d feel something. Those people would usually shake off the feeling after a moment. But this time was different. They were going right through her.

“What’s happening to me? What… What day is it...” She peeked at a stranger’s phone. October 16th. “No… I thought I had more…” As if her strength had suddenly left her, she fell to her knees. “I really have gotten old, haven't I?” Covering her face, she started to laugh bitterly, a tear hitting the ground.


* * *


“Finally, we’re done!” Shon cheered, pumping his fist into the air. He glanced at the cloud-filled sky. Abruptly, he turned around.

“Akira.” He grasped Akira’s shoulders.

“Y-Yes?” Akira was clearly startled from the sudden gesture.

“Can you come with me?”

“To where?”

“Just come with me. I won’t be able to do this if you don’t.”

“Huh? What do y-”

“Please.”

“Sure…

Akira walked alongside Shon. He tried to read his expression, but all he could see was pure chaos, emotions clustering together. Shon’s coat swished from side to side as he walked. He looked forward, not paying attention to his surroundings. His eyes were a murky gray that seemed to match the sky.

Shon spoke, “It was a clear day, the sun shining. I had gotten a raise, my boss complimenting  my effort.This happened about fifteen years ago, so it didn’t happen where you and I work. Anyways, it felt like absolutely nothing could go wrong. Then, one of my friends called me, asking me to pick up their sibling since they were caught up in something. I didn’t mind, since I was close by, so I agreed.” He entered a place surrounded by a metal gate. In that grassy field, laid the deceased. “The drive was awkward. Really, really awkward. Every time I tried to talk to the girl, she would just nod or shake her head. But sometimes, she would speak, even for a small moment. She spoke really low, with a sweet voice. I had to ask her to repeat herself multiple times. Heh, she probably got quite annoyed.”

Akira opened his mouth, about to tell Shon to get to the point. Shon had suddenly stopped, kneeling in front of a certain grave.

“A stranger had decided to cross in the middle of the road. My car was heading straight for them. In a panic, I steered away from them. You can probably guessed what happened next. The car ended up crashing into a pole. The sudden impact knocked the wind out of me. My vision was all blurred, but I could make out the girl’s figure. Blood covered her face. I didn’t expect blood to be so bright. It was nothing like the dark red that you see in movies. I fell unconscious. So did the girl. Both of us were rushed to the hospital. But it was too late. The girl had died in the ambulance. I ended up with severe injuries. But to me, that was only a scratch compared to how that girl ended up. I couldn’t believe it at the time. It didn’t feel real. That kind of stuff always happens in books and movies, right? When her brother found out… Honestly, I expected him to get angry, to punch me right in the face. I’m sure he was furious at the time, but you know what he did? He smiled. Smiled. He told me it would all be okay, and that it wasn’t my fault. I hated that. I wanted him to be angry, to yell, to give me what I deserved. But no! Then, he pat me on the back, and left. We never spoke again.” Shon started to sob, grabbing Akira by the collar. “Why? Why couldn’t it have been me? Tell me, why?” He pulled Akira’s collar, shaking him. Shon calmed down, still breathing heavily. “That girl died and I lived. I shouldn’t have…”

“Stop that.”

“H-Huh?”

“You survived. That’s not a bad thing.”

“But I-”

“Do you regret surviving? If you had died, what would have happened to all the people that care about you? Would you give up the feeling of life so easily? That girl… Would she want you to have died instead?” Images of his family and friends flashed through Shon’s mind. “Ah, I’m sorry. I overstepped my boundaries.”

“No… It’s okay. Thank you.”

“Of course.”

“Heh, this all seems like a scene from a movie.”

“But it’s not.”

“But it’s not.” Shon repeated. He looked towards the grave. “I haven’t had the courage to come here for fifteen whole years. I’m sorry, Renu.

What?

“Shon… Did you say Renu?”

“Huh? Yes, I did. That’s the girl’s name.” What? These kind of coincidences only happen in make-believe, Akira thought, shaking his head.

“Surely you’re not mistaken?”

“No, that’s her name. Look, right there.” Engraved in the headstone was the name, Renu Solance.

“Solance?” He realized that Renu had never told him her surname. There’s no way, he thought to himself, Is there? “I… Have to go.” Akira took off, leaving Shon behind.

“Akira?”


* * *


As Akira ran, he tried to think, searching for answers. What does this mean? What’s going on? Why is this happening? Those questions ran through his head. Passing by a park, he saw a the face he was looking for.

“Renu!” He called out.

“Aki? What are you doing here?”

“What happened to you?” Out of breath, he crouched down, bending his knees.

“Huh? What do you-?”

“Why does it say you’re dead?”

“Oh… You found out, huh. I’m sorry, Aki. I was going to tell you. Today, actually.”

“That you’re…”

Renu looked him straight in the eyes. “Yes. That I’m dead.”

“I don’t understand. You’re right… You’re right here!” He gestured to her, holding out his hands.

“Fifteen years ago, I died in a car accident. It was quite out of the blue, to be honest. Before I knew it, my body felt like it was burning. The pain was immense. Still, I felt so… So tired. I could barely keep my eyes open. I fell asleep and never woke up. Well, I guess that’s not exactly true. I did wake up, but in the body of my four year-old self. I had woken up in the same place I died. I remember… A bunch of caution tape and debris scattered around. At the time, I didn’t have a clue on what happened. All I could recall was my name. I wandered around, trying to ask people for help. But they ignored me. I started to give up, and hid in a nearby alley. It was dark, and I was terrified. That’s when you found me.

“If you are dead, how come I can see you?”

“That, I’m not sure. I don’t remember us or our affairs ever being related in my life. No matter the reason, I was still so glad that someone could see me. A few years later, it hit me. Everything that happened, I remembered all of it. I didn’t know what to do. But when you held my hand… It made me feel calm. Knowing I wasn’t alone. I decided to keep it from you, because I doubted it would make sense. It definitely didn’t to me.”

“Why are you telling me this now?”

“Because… If I didn’t tell you today I’d never be able to.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m not supposed to exist right now. Today, the universe shall make sure that is true.”

“I don’t get it…”

“Today’s the day I died. That day, I was nineteen. I’m officially nineteen right now. To be specific, I won’t exist in about ten minutes. The world sure is technical sometimes…”

“Ten minutes? This… This is so sudden! What are you talking about, not existing?”

“As I was dying, I made a wish. To have another chance. I got that chance. I don’t know why I wished that. Maybe… Maybe it was because I felt so lonely. My loneliness blinded me, so much that I never noticed when someone tried to reach out to me. Perhaps I wanted to try again, to feel what it’s like to have someone close. Even with that chance, I can’t live any longer than the time I died.”

“That’s…”

“I wish I could’ve talked to my older brother again. His friend too… What was his name?”

“Shon?”

“Shon! That’s it! How did you… Wait, I have no time for that.”

“Isn’t there anything I can do? This isn’t…”

“It’s inevitable, Aki. I’ve… I’ve accepted that.”

“I can’t!”

“You have to. Things will happen whether or not they have your approval.”

“That may be true but-”

“You’re the person I had longed for… You gave me another chance. I can’t possibly thank you enough. Still… Thank you, Akira.”

“Don’t talk like that! There has to be some other way.”

“Thank you for finding me. Thank you for reaching out your hand. Thank you for giving me a home,  for taking care of me. Thank you for giving me another chance at life. Really, thank you.”

“Seriously, stop! Just… Just hold on a second!”

“Remember that book I had found when we met?”

“Renu, please!”

“Goodbye,” Renu smiled, eyes glistening. “Whether it’s friendship, family, romance, or something else… I love you.”

“Renu!” Akira cried, trying to keep ahold of her with a tight embrace.

Sometimes, you have to say goodbye to people you care about.

A cold wind blew, seeming to take Renu along with it. She was gone. Akira fell to his knees, tears streaming down his face.

But it’s okay!

“Renu… Renu!” He sobbed, hysteric. He repeatedly called out her name.

Because there will always be others there to make you feel better!


* * *


“Huh? Why am I crying?” Akira touched with face, still wet with tears. “There was someone here… Was there? Why can’t I remember?” Akira felt as if a huge part of his memories was ripped away. There was someone there, but he couldn’t recall their face, their voice, or their name. Everything felt lucid, like a dream. “Huh? What am I even doing here?”

The string that connected their fate had been cut, never to entangle again.









 

© 2016 kurothecat


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful story. I enjoyed all the descriptions and the recurring theme of saying goodbye. Great characters and dialogue too. Thanks for sharing this story with us. Stay inspired :)

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
1 Review
Added on October 7, 2016
Last Updated on October 23, 2016