unknown

unknown

A Story by ben

Keeping out of the way of the massive door closing shop for the day, if one wanted to, there is time to fall back to the world before this one but neither do. Instead, both stand in place while watching the way the door puts up a fuss towards the end much like a child not wanting to go to bed.

Finding themselves a step closer, this world is nothing but sand dunes melting into the fade of a distant mountain range. Three miles away is Benny’s guess as attention falls on Vincent wandering off when he comes up short before dropping down to a knee. Benny is already walking towards him when Vincent looks his way. “Check this out.” Walking around to the other side of Vincent, stacked in marking an opening in the ground are three flat rocks.

“Could be a secret way no one lived to talk about.”

“It’s too dark to see though. That’s our problem.”

“Problem solved. Check it out, I bought two penlights for a dollar thirty-nine at Jakes. I was going to give this one to Lori, but you can have it. Hope you don’t mind that it is pink.” Wearing a grin, Benny takes the penlight to where he focuses the beam of light within the guts of the hole.

“There’s room to slide down on our butts if you want to see where it goes.” Vincent casts a look across the dunes to the faraway mountain range that pushes him to drop his gaze to the penlight he has in his hand. “I have no idea how long these will last.” There is concern in his voice, Benny picturing them submerged in total darkness in the blink of an eye. Disorientated, there is a chance of being separated, each calling out to make sure the other is still there. “We should go for it anyways, might not be that bad.” That said, with a slight backward lean, Benny crabwalks himself through the opening. Vincent waits a short minute before he follows after.

Sliding down most of the way, the two are emptied out into a spacious cavern. There is a pale blue hue about, and the drip of water. Penlight not really working the way it should, the two pass underneath a high archway. Elsewhere, startled awake when feeling the vibration, there is a pause, an ear to the wind in making sure.

Two, he thinks. And after the key they are. A pleasant smile plays on his lips as he recalls all of those before. There is no humble regret nor sad face as his world is about keeping things the way they are. Getting out of his bed, he stokes a fire before walking over to the only window in the room.

There she is, sweet as ever is the sight of you.

Such beauty has him on the verge of tears to where he forces himself from the window.

The ordeal leaves him hungry, and so he conjures forth a dining table and a chair. Sitting there with his hands holding up his cheekbones all the while contemplating what to eat, with a snap of his fingers, appearing before him is a bowl of rabbit stew and a biscuit. Favorites always win.

Each spoonful is delicious, tasty as ever is the biscuit. And throughout each bite taken, the vibrations continue. Hopefully this will end soon, and then he can go back to bed. Whisking the empty bowl and spoon from his sight, he gets up from the table and walks over to his favorite chair situated just right before the fire. It is here that he does his best thinking.

 

 

© 2024 ben


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on April 10, 2024
Last Updated on April 10, 2024

Author

ben
ben

Writing
unknown unknown

A Story by ben


unknown unknown

A Story by ben


unknown unknown

A Story by ben