Sleeping Dogs

Sleeping Dogs

A Poem by Elizabeth



Whispers and secrets
keep silent council
with mouldering lips
and stone cold hands

down in the grave
they slumber
and rot

sleeping dogs
tell no lies

© 2013 Elizabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What is it about the word moldering that I love so much? Let those damn sleeping dogs lie. I like the turn of phrase you used there. Clever. You must be from one of those "OU" countries. I always feel like it's your language and we are just borrowing it here in the U.S.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elizabeth

11 Years Ago

Ha. I am as American as apple pie, sir. Thanks, though :)
Clayton Bardwell

11 Years Ago

Oooops,
Well, great then.



Reviews

Perhaps in the grave was where they belonged. Secrets hide nefarious things sometimes that would hurt a lot of people were they revealed. Nicely done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Yes by all means do not awaken the sleeping dogs. They not only lie but sometimes they tell the hurtful truth

Posted 8 Years Ago


I got your message what you want to say through the poem. Well structured words. I liked the concept of the poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


sleeping dogs
tell no lies... words're powerful and the write's great. you remind me about some dogs who bark at night and don't get some kinda fear of dark nights... so, don't tell lies. A write made by your but Imagined by your pure soul that's pure and can scent the smell of the world even in the nights too. It's all about city's, locality's and more even about the Worldwide. Great write, Nicely penned.97

Posted 10 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your mind makes my mind happy. Loved "silent council".....

CM.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This poem reminds me of part of a novel I read today. I'm paraphrasing here, but the character said that the dead make good neighbors. In essence, he cited the core message of the final couplet in this poem.

Aside from that little story on my part, I like how concise your style is. You have a way with word economy and delivery a message in a short space. Even still, what you put on the page still packs a punch, and I like that.

Posted 10 Years Ago


direct and simple and short and sweet and other adjectives apply ... this was fantastic :)

RIchie

P.S your about me section was really funny

Posted 10 Years Ago


What is it about the word moldering that I love so much? Let those damn sleeping dogs lie. I like the turn of phrase you used there. Clever. You must be from one of those "OU" countries. I always feel like it's your language and we are just borrowing it here in the U.S.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elizabeth

11 Years Ago

Ha. I am as American as apple pie, sir. Thanks, though :)
Clayton Bardwell

11 Years Ago

Oooops,
Well, great then.
Mouldering and lips is a frighteningly tricksome combination. Disturbing. Yet there is a macabre twist of a grin that isn't obvious in one particular line but more a result of the all. And the play on the sleeping dogs cliché is a smooth stroke that ends in a slap. Just one reading of an open and excellent poem. Glad to see this one. Thanks for sharing.


Posted 11 Years Ago


Elizabeth

11 Years Ago

Thanks for that. I liked the sleeping dogs bit, as well. I wondered how it would go over.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

564 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 27, 2013
Last Updated on March 27, 2013

Author

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Wonderland, TN



About
I am Alice through the looking glass...I mix my metaphors with barbiturates. I take my mania with a glass of milk and I rarely look before crossing the street. Walk a mile in my mary janes, friend. .. more..

Writing
Bones Bones

A Poem by Elizabeth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Misunderstood Misunderstood

A Poem by Krista