Emergency Management

Emergency Management

A Story by Betty Bilton
"

The National Response Framework (NRF) is the basis of how the nation responds to emergency situations and is a comprehensive guideline that integrates federal support with the state and local response

"

The National Response Framework (NRF) is the basis of how the nation responds to emergency situations and is a comprehensive guideline that integrates federal support with the state and local response frameworks. The NRF requires federal agencies to develop a clear-cut procedure in order to step in or complement state and local response teams in an emergency. Emergency Support Functions (ESFs) form a vital part of the NRF. These functions outline the roles that federal agencies play in an emergency situation when called upon. For this paper, ESF 8 has been chosen for consideration. It focuses on public health and offering medical services.

Each ESF is assigned a primary coordinating agency from the federal government, and each agency is supplemented by several supporting agencies. ESF 8 is primarily coordinated by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). ESF 8 is divided into two sub-functions. The first one deals with securing health of the public and the other one focuses on offering medical support. In providing medical services, responsible agencies should have stepwise actions to be followed in order to identify and bring a disaster situation under control. This is the first step in offering medical services and securing public health in any emergency situation. The responders should also be able to incorporate assistance from private health institutions. Private health institutions can be called upon to offer their resources and services. Therefore there should be a set procedure for them to set up at the scene and integrate their efforts with those of other response teams. ESF 8 also includes offering medical care to animals at the scene. Mechanisms of carcass disposal and pet rescuing should be identified. In addition, veterinary services should be on site to attend to wounded animals.

In case of a biological, chemical, or nuclear event ESF 8 requires precise measures for quarantine and decontamination of affected areas and individuals. Sometimes, emergency situations may result in an overwhelmingly large number of casualties or fatalities. Such instances require special handling procedures. The issues that prove difficult could be the identification of the deceased, providing mortuary services and informing the families of the deceased. ESF 8 requires that there should be agencies on site with clear procedures on how to handle these challenges. The coroner’s role should also be integrated into the response operation. An emergency response team from the coroner should be provided for and duly activated during emergencies. Mortuary services need to be expanded as well as morgue services. Patients attended to at the scene should be monitored even after the emergency occurrence. This carries weight especially when viewed in terms of mental health care. ESF 8 states that there is need to identify medical personnel who will provide mental health care for those affected by the emergency situation.

According to Salsbury and Simmons, mental health care should be consistent throughout the patient’s recovery process. Medical response to any emergency should factor in members of the public with disabilities, children, and those with special needs. Such groups usually require special and dedicated medical attention in time of a crisis. Ways of identifying such groups of people should be put in place. Identification should be done before the emergency occurrence so that their special medical needs are addressed effectively in a crisis. It is also crucial that the public remain informed in an accurate and timely manner. ESF 8 states that medical personnel on site should coordinate with the head of the operation and avail him with the needed information. The head of the operation then liaises with media houses and other informative agencies that then disseminate the information to the public. Accurate and timely information alleviates unnecessary panic amongst members of the public.

This paper has discussed the Emergency Support Functions of the National Response Framework, which is a comprehensive guideline that integrates federal support with the state and local response frameworks. As a vital part of the NRF, the Emergency Support Functions outline the roles that federal agencies play in an emergency situation when their assistance is needed. In case of emergencies, comprehensive support is provided to those who have been affected as well as animals. Special attention is paid to mental health of the affected individuals as well as those who require additional help. Cooperation with information agencies allows those who are responsible for providing care to provide timely and accurate information to the public to avoid panic.

The essay was written by the professional writer from papers-land - Betty Bilton.

© 2019 Betty Bilton


Author's Note

Betty Bilton
The National Response Framework (NRF) is the basis of how the nation responds to emergency situations

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on December 26, 2019
Last Updated on December 26, 2019
Tags: emergency, support

Author