Loving Maya

Loving Maya

A Story by Bhumi
"

Not a recent work but did not post it here- so it goes

"

  

Sidhant stood in his office staring out at the Qutab Minar. The majestic red tower looked very soothing and romantic in the pink light of the setting sun. The picture became perfect with the pale silver moon over the horizon. He rubbed his thumb over the ring in his coat pocket. Tonight is the night, he told himself, tonight Maya will wear this ring and be mine forever and ever.

“Sidhant?”  It was his personal assistant, Mrs Edberg. “The arrangements have been made. Is there anything else that you need?”

“Thanks Mrs Edberg. That will be all.”

Mrs Edberg smiled. “I will be leaving then. You will let me know what happens?”

“Yes, Mrs Edberg you will be the first person to know when we set the wedding date.” Sidhant smiled back at the old lady who was most certainly there when his father proposed his mother. “Good night.”

Making the arrangements for a candlelight dinner complete with music and silver service at the historical monument had been difficult even with Sidhant’s position and money, but it was worth every rupee spent.

Maya, the love of his life. It was love at first sight for Sidhant when Maya walked into his office for a job three years ago. However it took very long for Sidhant to convince Maya of the same. Maya’s conservative upbringing in a small town was a complete contrast to Sidhant’s jet setting lifestyle. Her parents’ untimely death had left a little wary of getting emotionally involved with anyone.

Oh I am so happy,” Maya shouted as she entered the room. “We will be a complete family soon. My sister is having a baby after all these years.” Maya stepped on her toes and kissed Sidhant on his cheek. Sidhant took the opportunity to hug her slender waist and bring her closer.

“I am happy too. Was she trying for a baby since a long time?” Sidhant brushed a strand of hair away from her face and looked into her eyes. They were shinning with happiness and excitement.

“From the day she got married.” Maya looked back into his eyes. She ran her tongue over her lips to moisten them as Sidhant lowered his head towards her. “My phone.”

“Let it be” Sidhant muttered.

“Hello,” Maya said into her mobile as she reluctantly stepped out of Sidhant’s embrace. “Yes, this is Maya.” He let her move away but held on to her free hand trying to imagine how would his ring feel on Maya’s finger.

It took Sidhant a moment to realise that something was wrong. All colour drained from Maya’s face and he could feel her hand shiver as she listened into the phone. Sidhant pulled her hand gently but she continued to stare at the space beyond his office window. Finally Sidhant took the mobile from her hand but the line was disconnected.

“Maya, what happened?

“Di – there has been an accident. They - the police, want me to come to the hospital to identify the bodies.”

It was a long month before Sidhant saw Maya again.

When she finally came back, she had left all her smiles and humour behind her. Sidhant understood her pain and wished that somehow he could ease her it. He could, however not understand the distance that had suddenly developed between them.  Though he did not like it, he had no choice but accept it. It is probably Maya’s way to come in terms with her grief. Time is the world’s best and probably the only healer, Sidhant reminded himself. All I can do is make sure that Maya does not miss lunch today. It will be one step at a time from now. One little step at a time. “God this is frustrating. I feel our relationship is back on square one.” Sidhant said out aloud.

  “Another power lunch?” Maya asked as she pulled out the documents required for the meeting.

Sidhant shrugged his shoulders, “What can I do – you know the clients love food and new restaurants. I must have gained a kilo in the last month with all these lunches!” In the past the last comment would have earned him a smile and a strong ‘No!’, but now – Maya was already reading the files on her laptop and taking out the printouts required for the meeting. “Cheer up we will go to a restaurant you like,” Sidhant continued ignoring Maya’s grim expression. He missed her easy and heart-warming smiles. “I will even order your favourite food.”   

“What time did you leave last night?” Sidhant asked as he noticed that the presentation required for the meeting was ready. “I told you about the meeting around seven last evening and you have it ready? You cannot hide behind work Maya – you have to come in terms with your grief someday.”

“I am fine Sidhant.” Maya looked up from her laptop screen. She looked pale and her eyes were red. Sidhant wanted to comment on her appearance but Maya’s tone stopped him.

“So you say.” 

It was late evening when Maya entered Sidhant’s office. “Hey!” Sidhant said turning “I did not hear you come in .When did you learn to be so quite –I could always hear you from a kilometre and now you almost gave me a heart attack,”. It was the shadow that came on Maya’s face that made Sidhant regret saying that. He could see her eyes shining with unshed tears. “Maya” Sidhant crossed the table to move closer. He moved to hug her and dry the tears before they shed.

“I need some time off.” Maya said putting some distance between them.  Sidhant let his arms fall down watching her turn around and sit on one of the chairs. “Yes – of course you do. You can leave immediately. Why don’t you go to my summer home in Shimla? It is beautiful and peaceful –you can stay there as long as you like.”

“Not now but a few months later for four months or so,” Maya continued without waiting for Sidhant to finish. “I am pregnant Sidhant.”

Sidhant could not believe his ears – Maya, his Maya pregnant. No, this could not be. He believed her when she said that he was the first guy she kissed and now she was sitting right in front of him saying she was expecting someone else’s baby!  “You are joking right?”

Maya’s tears were the only answer he got “Well, then I guess congratulation is in order. When is the wedding?”

Maya looked at Sidhant with an expression he could not read.  “Wedding? Who said anything about a wedding? I said I am having a baby Sidhant. I have no plans to marry.”

“A single mother then. I never knew you could take such a bold decision. But then I hardly knew you” Sidhant moved closer to the chair Maya was sitting on. He wanted to yell at her – shake her. How could she betray him and then sit in his office asking for maternity leave? “You can get the leave but I will have to check our company policy for unwed mothers.”

“Sidhant – how could you?” Maya stood up and slapped him.

Sidhant’s cheek stung and his ears vibrated with the noise. “Me!” he shouted “I am not the one sleeping around behind your back”

“You mean – Sidhant...” Maya could not continue.

“Yes, Maya I mean it. I mean every word of it.”

“And I thought you loved me.” Maya left the office banging the door on the way out.  

Sidhant stared at the door as he sank into the chair Maya had just vacated. He felt the room tilt to an angle. Only a couple of months ago he was dreaming about marrying Maya and now she comes in not only with a boyfriend but a baby too. “So this was the reason for her avoiding me!”   

He did not know for how long he sat in the chair. His mind was a complete blank. Maybe I should go home. Sidhant stood up and picked up his coat from the hanger.

“Sidhant!” It was Mrs Edberg. She had a piece of paper in her hand. “What is this?”

“You have the sheet, you tell me!” Sidhant knew that was discourteous but he was in no mood to be polite.

 “Maya’s resignation! Now tell me what is going on?”

“Me?  Mrs Edberg, nothing happened – Maya wanted to leave and she is leaving.”

“You asked her to leave, Sidhant – Why?”

“I didn’t. But then it is good she left herself – I would have asked her to leave pretty soon.” Sidhant sank back into his chair. “She is pregnant.” He whispered.

“I know that Sidhant what does it have to do with you and her?”

“There is no ‘me and her’ – not anymore. Wait, you knew? Mrs Edberg you knew I loved her and wanted to marry her and yet you never told me, why?”

“You did not know? But she told you, didn’t she on the day you were planning to propose.”

“How can you do this to me Mrs Edberg? I thought you cared for me –How could you let me go through all those preparations knowing that Maya was carrying another man’s child!?

“But then you were so caring. Taking her to lunches, sending her packed dinners and keeping a tab on her office hours.”

“I loved her Mrs Edberg. These are the things you do in love.” 

“She loves you Sidhant. You are the only one she has now”

“No Mrs Edberg. She doesn’t have me anymore. I just hope she has enough sense to stay faithful to the baby’s father.”

“Baby’s father! Sidhant, my child what did you do?” Mrs Edberg sat down on the nearest chair and held her head in her hands. “It is her sister’s child. She was the surrogate mother.”

Sidhant felt the ground slip beneath his feet the second time. O why did I not trust Maya!

“I have to go Mrs Edberg”

Maya’s house was in a mess when Sidhant walked in. Clothes and books were thrown everywhere. There were a couple of open suitcase on the floor and she was dumping things in them.

“Maya!”

 Maya did not stop her packing. “I am leaving first thing tomorrow morning.”

“There was something I must say before you take any harsh decisions”

“No need. You have said enough and I have heard more than enough” Maya continued her packing with more force and a couple of clothes landed on the floor instead of the suitcase.

“Don’t go.”

“Why? Are there some more insults you want to hurl my way?” Maya could not hold back her tears any longer. She sat down on the floor sobbing.

“Maya,” Sidhant could not bear the sight of Maya’s tears. He hugged her. “Forgive me Maya- please forgive me and my foolishness.”  He gently raised her face so that he could look into her eyes. “I was blinded with jealously for a moment and could not think straight”

“The baby,” Maya sobbed, “he is not mine- I did not sleep with anyone.”

“Sh- I know and I am sorry for being such a fool. Don’t leave Maya”

“I love you Sidhant, but I have to go- for the baby”

“Why?”

“Others will say the same thing tomorrow Sidhant. I can’t let the baby grow up hearing such things.”

“What nonsense! No one will say anything, not to my wife or baby”

“You mean?”

“Accept me into your little family Maya. I know you will be a great mother, give me a chance to be a father to your baby.”

“Yes!” Maya smiled through her tears as Sidhant’s lips touched hers. “Let us seal this with a kiss.”

It was a kiss that Sidhant remembered all his life. It was the kiss that promised him not only never-ending love but also a happy family with Maya and their three children.

© 2009 Bhumi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

sometimes, just a gesture, a feel, a sense wake up whatever hidden deep inside you, as a seed sprout on the embrace of rain drops..
a kiss, a touch, a kind word... it relieves the turbulence within, easily.

You have succeeded in proving it.
But there is nothing recent from you...
Why?
Where are you?
Come out of the hiding?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ah, forgiveness, love and understanding, all sealed with a kiss!
A beautiful story my freind!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 17, 2009

Author

Bhumi
Bhumi

India



About
A wannabe writer who just picked up her pen after almost two years. more..

Writing