She Stirred Within Him

She Stirred Within Him

A Story by William Teague

She stirred within him a place that was dormant a place he thought was buried forever. Feelings of spring melted his frozen heart. With such grace and finesse she lit the light, his light. Leaving him open and vulnerable and now he had something to fear, something to lose.

He had denied those feelings for her years ago, and now she had grown into an even more stunning and sophisticated woman.

A special beauty she possessed, carrying it effortlessly in her stride. The way she smiled, the way she wiped a tear from her eye with laughter. The way she corralled her long flowing hair behind her shoulders. The way she looked off momentarily in thought then tilting her head in response. Her words fell softly in his ear. A sound so sweet and warm, catching himself talking he would stop abruptly just because he missed her voice.

And even though he knew it could never be and his romantic notions were unreasonable, he still hung onto a single strand of hope.

He was a man after all. A strong man, a man with character but even strong men have their weaknesses. If he could have her, even momentarily, he knew, she would surely have to leave him one day. Though he possessed a strong intense love for her, he thought it unlikely that this could sustain her for any length of time; for she was so many years younger.

It was a fine restaurant with superb food, and though he was hungry he was hardly interested in eating. For both of them it seemed, conversation was so engaging the food served as only a distraction. They seem to eat hurriedly between gaps in dialogue, only to return to their connection. Their eyes locked in long pauses at times, finding it difficult to break away.

He once had an opportunity years ago to marry her but for certain reasons did not. And now this regret was more powerful than ever.
He found himself at moment's, plotting in his mind how he could retain her. He wondered, did she understand his gaze? And, at times, when he looked upon her, he found himself anticipating and preparing for her inevitable absence.

He grew terrified to share his true feelings with her. A rejection might be too much. The last thing he wanted to do was to scare her off or give her reason to detach from him.

At least for now he could remain hidden and still have her near, for he truly loved her. And for this moment it remains his secret.



William Teague (c) 2014

© 2014 William Teague


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on March 19, 2014
Last Updated on March 19, 2014

Author

William Teague
William Teague

staten island, NY



About
I am not starving artist, i'm a hungry one. It's good to be here at the Cafe. more..

Writing