Valleyria

Valleyria

A Story by bimbimbap
"

An evil sorcerer wrecked Valleyria when Marya and Klaus were young, and now they meet again years later to try to stop him.

"
Klaus waited anxiously, pacing the room. He clutched his bleeding arm, trying to apply pressure. He wouldn't want to bleed all over the polished fluorescent floors. He glanced at Luq, his face dull and in pain, slumped on the floor. At that moment, the large doors opened. There she stood, as beautiful as Klaus remembered. She donned a glittering green gown, streaming down to the floor. Her brown hair flowed behind her, with her golden crown on her head. 
"Princess," Klaus greeted as he knelt before her. 
"Hurry, get them healed!" the princess said firmly to her attendants. Several men rushed to the aid of the two injured men. Klaus turned to the princess before he was escorted out. "Thank you, Marya."

"How are you feeling?" a gentle voice chimed.
Klaus turned his head to look at Princess Marya, concern over her face. "I've been better."
Marya brushed his silver hair away from his face. "Trouble does follow you, Klaus. The first time I've seen you in so long, and you're still covered in blood."
Klaus managed a laugh before coughing. "Now rest," Marya said, her touch comforting Klaus. He took her hand. "It's nice to see you again, Marya." Marya smiled her smile that warmed Klaus' heart. He remembered the last time he saw her smile like that. It had been so long since he left her. But now he had Liffa and Marya can be nothing more than the past.
He watched Marya leave the room, the trail of her gown behind her. 
"You guys sound close," Luq said.
"I didn't know you were awake."
"Couldn't sleep. She's pretty, that princess."
"Yeah, we both go way back," Klaus said, refusing to reveal anymore. 

Marya ruminated at the porch of her castle. She hadn't seen Klaus in such a long time, only hearing his whereabouts from rumours in the air. She was concerned when she heard about him on the run, yet she did not expect him to show up at her door. 
"Princess."
"Oh!" Marya jumped as she turned, seeing Luq knelt in front of her. 
"I do apologise for the startle, Princess," Luq apologised. 
"It's alright. Do get up."
Luq stood beside Marya, leaning against the porcelain porch. "The princess of battle and elegance, didn't expect you to let your guard down."
"Yes, that was fault on my part. There will not be a next time."
Luq turned toward Marya. She was stunning in the setting sun. Her eyes deep, her skin smooth. She turned towards him, and he quickly turned away, failing to realise he was gazing at her. 
"What is your name? I only know you as Klaus' companion," Marya asked.
"Luq, Princess."
Marya smiled and turned away from him. "Well, I hope there isn't something on my face then, Luq."
Luq blushed as he felt panicked. "W-well, I just.. just noticed you have very sad eyes, Princess."
Marya turned to face Luq, her eyebrows raised. "It's... Your name goes far and wide about your achievements and your qualities, Princess. But now meeting you in the flesh, don't get me wrong, you're stunning. But you look sad, like all those mean nothing," Luq explained.
Marya felt tears well up in her eyes. She breathed in deep, and let it out. She would not let a stranger see her cry. "It used to be different, Luq. I used to be happy." She shook her head. "But anyway, we must get back to the main hall. It seems it is time for dinner. A celebration for your arrival."
Luq shrugged. "No need celebration for me, only Klaus is important around here." 
Marya placed a hand on Luq's shoulder. "I will not have that. I've heard of you too, Luq." 
Luq blushed as he nodded. There was something about her charm that made him clam up, which was unusual considering his personality. He stood to leave her quarters. 
"Thank you Luq," he heard her say in her sweet voice. Luq turned and nodded as he walked out.

The party had already started, with men drinking and rejoicing. The trumpet blew as the doors opened. Marya waltzed in with a glimmering golden gown, her hair in elegant curls. All the men bowed at her presence. She stood in front of them. "Let us welcome the return of our beloved friend Klaus, along with his brave companion Luq! Tonight, we feast!"
The crowd roared as they continued eating. Klaus kept his eye on Marya the entire time. He followed her as she retreated to the garden outside the dining hall. 
"You know how to make an entrance, but not a good exit," Klaus said.
Marya turned. Klaus felt his heart flutter. Her dress had a deep cut in the back as well as the front. "Come, sit here with me Klaus." 
They sat on a stone bench, overlooking the fountain. "Thank you for shelter and food, Marya," Klaus thanked.
"It's the least I could do for a friend," Marya said. "You did the right thing, Klaus."
Klaus gazed at her. Her pale skin was luminance under the moonlight, her eyes sparkling. He remembered putting a flower in her hair, telling her he loved her. Marya knew he was staring. She didn't want him to stop, but she knew she had to make him.
"So, dragonslayer, you've met someone new recently?" she asked, breaking his concentration.
"Yes, Liffa. She's a lively, jubilant girl. Very different from yourself," Klaus said, looking at the fountain.
"She's a lucky girl to have you, Klaus."
"Marya... I'm really sorry about the past. I didn't mean to hurt you, I-"
"It's the past, Klaus. I've put it behind me. I've moved on, and so have you. I'm happy for you," Marya said with a struggled smile. 
"Thank you, Marya. You..you've been in my thoughts everyday since the last we met. I guess it's been unresolved in my heart. My....feelings," Klaus admitted, his head low.
"Sometimes we don't end up with the people we truly love, but it's alright to see them happy with someone else." Marya placed a hand on his and continued,"I will always love you Klaus. You've been a big part of my life, and I will never forget it. I just want you to be safe and happy."
Her words moved Klaus. He held back his tears. He knew there would be no more chances to rekindle the love they once had, and there was a pity to that. He smoothed her hair and kissed her cheek tenderly. He could tell she was holding back tears as well. 
"Well then, shall we get back to the party?" Marya said, faking a joy in her voice.
Klaus nodded as she took his arm and they walked back to the party. 
As they walked through the doors, it was as if no one had noticed they were gone. Men were still merrily drinking, roaring with laughter. Luq approached the princess. "Klaus, may I have the princess for a dance?" 
Klaus tipped his hat and left while Marya turned to smile at Luq. "May I?" Luq stretched out a hand. Marya took it as he led her to the dance floor. He put his arm around her as they twirled around the floor.
"You dance like a nobleman," Marya complemented. 
"That's what you get for living in Valleria. I was the only commoner amongst all of them," Luq laughed bitterly. 
"I'm sorry," Marya apologised. "So tell me something about yourself, Luq."
"Hmm let's see.. born out of wedlock, abandoned, sold to slavery but ended up being in the hands of Jadak. I betrayed him, Klaus found me and saved me, we got ambushed at the battle against Jadak, now I'm here in Sephira."
"Wow, I'm so sorry for all that's happened. I would never have guessed."
"It's alright. Now I'm dancing with a beautiful princess." Luq spun Marya and caught her as she fell. Marya blushed and laughed.
"Now there's that charming smile," Luq smiled. 
"Do it again!" Marya said as Luq did as he was told. 
Klaus turned towards the dancing duo, laughing and twirling. A flash of memory passed through his mind, where Klaus and Marya were dancing in a field of daisies. That was before everything burned to the ground. He remembered...

"Klaus dummy we'll be late!" Marya took his hand as they raced through the halls. Along with another friend Cin, the three of them were inseparable. They attended boring classes, played pranks on each other. Soon, Klaus fell in love with Marya. He chased her and eventually she relented. However, she was unaware that Cin loved her too. He was heartbroken when Marya ran to him about the good news, but he kept silent and loved her from afar anyway.
Marya lay on Klaus' arm in the field of daisies. They stared up at the sky, daydreaming about life. Marya was worried about her family back in Sephira, and Klaus was worried about not passing the exam for to become a Kingsguard, that lasted in his family for generations. 
"If I don't pass that exam on the 5th, it will be the end of me. I'll be the black sheep of the family," Klaus groaned.
"At least you like what you do! And you're pretty good at it too. At least Yazoo will take the throne in Sephira so I don't have to move away from Valleria," Marya said.
"I can't imagine your brother becoming king of Sephira."
"Neither can I! But he has to do it. I would never want to rule. I just want to fight, hunt, and enjoy my life here with you." Marya held Klaus tight, and Klaus hugged back.
"Marya.... I want to marry you." Marya stared at Klaus, a frown in her eyebrows. "What?"
He held her hand and repeated,"I want to marry you Marya, say yes."
"Are you crazy!" Marya laughed as she sat upright. 
"I want to live with you!" Klaus shouted.
"What makes you think I want to!" Marya yelled back. 
"You don't?"
"Oh Klaus.. of course I do!" Marya kissed Klaus, pushing him back onto the ground. 
They held hands as they walked past to the citadel, that they noticed Cid standing among a group of soldiers, himself in full uniform. 
"Cid volunteered to join the HATE Corps? But they're working for the mad Lord Jadak!" Marya whispered to Klaus. Klaus stared in shock. 

Klaus was snapped out of his requiem as the party ended and Marya approached him. "It's late Klaus, you should rest well for tomorrow."
"Y-yes of course.." Klaus stuttered as he got to his feet and staggered back to the guest room. He had too much to drink just now and he immediately slept.

"Such a short visit, pity," Marya said. Many people gathered to see the two warriors leave Sephira. Marya kissed Klaus' cheek. "Please be safe Klaus."
"I will. You too, Marya," Klaus said.
Marya walked toward Luq and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you for last night Luq, safe travels." 
Luq pointed to his lips. "Another one here, Princess?" he asked cheekily.
Marya smiled and shook her head as she took a few steps back to see them off. Both warriors started off while the crowd roared with well wishes. Klaus turned around for one last look at Marya. Marya smiled hesitantly at Klaus, her eyes until he disappeared from sight. 
The two men camped in a cave when the sky turned dark. They kept the fire going, as they huddled beside it.
"Klaus, the Princess still loves ya, you know that right?" Luq asked.
Klaus stared at the flames. "Yeah, we're no more anyway."
"What happened exactly? If you don't mind me asking," Luq asked, sitting upright.
Klaus sighed. "It happened five years ago when the HATE Corps invaded Valleria. It was a late night on the 4th..."

Suddenly, flames burst throughout the town. People were dragged out of their beds, out on the streets. Marya was sleeping with Klaus, when they were awoken by the stifling heat and the cries. 
"We're being attacked!" Marya shouted as they wore their armour and carried their weapons.
Klaus peeped outside. "It's like their looking for something...or someone."
"They're raging our home!" Marya shouted in rage as she rushed out of the tent with her twin blades.
"Marya!" Klaus called after her, chasing her out to protect her. Marya started slashing her blades at soldiers who were threatening families. She failed to notice a soldier behind her, his gun pointed at her. Klaus wielded his heavy sword and sliced his arm off, kicking him to the ground. 
"Where is Cid!" Klaus shouted.
"I need to find my brother!" Marya shouted back at him, and dashed across the field. Klaus chased after her. After running back to the citadel, Marya spotted her brother. 
"Yazoo!" She ran closer to him, until she noticed him standing with a fellow HATE soldier. He gave the soldier something, and Marya knew what it was. It was the sapphire from Sephira, a powerful stone in their royal family.
"Yazoo, what are you doing?" Marya asked as she stopped in her tracks, Klaus following suit behind her. Her brother turned toward her in shock. "Oh, Marya! I couldn't find you the whole day, but I told the soldiers not to harm you if they saw you."
"What is this!" Marya demanded for an explanation. "You've been working with HATE the whole time?!"
"Yes I have, dear sister. For a long time now. Tonight is Reckoning."
"What is Reckoning?" Klaus asked.
Klaus turned as a man was brought forward to his knees by the soldiers. He was bloody and awfully familiar, Marya thought to herself. The man lifted his head. Klaus felt his heart sink. "Father!"
Marya's eyes widened. "What are you doing with him!"
Klaus outstretched his arms and lifted his head. "Tonight is the Reckoning! The day to claim our own, to claim my own. HATE is taking over the world, starting with the head of Kingsguard." He pointed his sword to Klaus' father, who looked at Klaus with defeated eyes.
"No!" Klaus roared as he wielded his sword and charged toward the soldiers. More soldiers arrived to fend off Klaus, but he didn't falter. 
Marya joined him in fighting them off too, to get to Yazoo. Yazoo just stood there, watching the two teenagers fighting with all their might. He laughed to himself. "It's useless Marya. You're too young to understand. You're too young to fight!"
Marya received a blow from a soldier as she fell to the ground, but he spared her mercy as Yazoo stretched out a palm. "Stop this madness now, Yazoo!" Marya shouted, clutching her bruised waist. She continued fighting however, she never let mercy get in her way. Klaus however, was shown no mercy. He was bleeding now, exhausted and trying. 
"I really like you Klaus. You're not like any ordinary man, a hero in the making - fit for my sister. Unfortunately, this has to be done," Yazoo shrugged. 
"No!" Klaus aimed for Yazoo now, but Yazoo stopped him with his own sword. They swung their swords at each other while Marya shouted,"Don't hurt him Yazoo! Stop this now!" She knew that the strength of both men would outweigh her, and one would outlive the other. 
Finally, Klaus gained the upper hand. He spun and his sword was at Yazoo's neck. Yazoo froze, unable to move. "Yazoo!" Marya gasped, a hand over her mouth. A smile spread across Yazoo's face. He was bleeding in the mouth now, due to Klaus hitting him over and over. "You don't realise what we've been doing for years now. It's too late now. Even if you kill me, this would continue on. Jadak will win!" 
A soldier drew his bow and released the arrow.
Klaus turned his head and saw his father's eyes turn white. The man collapsed to the ground, his weary eyes losing its light. Yazoo started to laugh hysterically. Marya gasped as Klaus roared. Rage rose within him. He lifted his sword and plunged it deep into Yazoo's heart. 
"NO!" Marya screamed, tears streaming down her face. She fell to her knees and sobbed.
Klaus pulled his sword out of the dying man and rushed to his father's side, but he was no more.
"No no no no no," Marya muttered incoherently as she cried out loud. "My baby brother.."

"That's what happened between us," Klaus ended his story. 
"Wow, I'm so sorry for what happened," Luq apologised, unsure of what to say.
"It's alright. Everyone lost someone in the Reckoning. I lost my family that day. I lost her too."
"Wow, Liffa would know what to say here, not me," Luq scratched his head. 
An uneasy feeling rose in his chest. He didn't want Liffa knowing about the history he had with Marya.

Many days passed since Klaus and Luq left Sephira. They finally arrived back in the Resistance Camp, where Liffa and their other friends waited for them. 
"Klaus!" Liffa ran up to Klaus and hugged him tight. Luq greeted the other men who welcomed him back. 
They returned to the main tent, where they discussed their next plan of action. 
"Since our defeat at the battle in the Hardlands, we lost too many men to attack them straight on," Luq said. 
"What happened after your retreat? You guys just disappeared," Liffa asked.
"We sought refuge at Sephira. I knew someone there who took care of us," Klaus said, leaving the other details out.
"Oh..Who's this person?"
"Umm.." Klaus dawdled. 
"It is getting late, it is time to rest now. We've had an awfully long day," Luq interrupted. Klaus looked at him gratefully as Luq and the rest left the room. Liffa nodded and wrapped her hands around Klaus. "I'm just glad you are back safe and sound." Klaus smiled and gave her a kiss.

Klaus and Luq was passing through a small town called Barios. They entered a tavern to rest for the night. A girl with chestnut brown hair tied up in a ribbon, a huge pink bow at the back of her dress walked up to serve them. She took notice to Klaus' magnificent sword.
"We'll need booze and a room please," Luq ordered. 
"Sure, can you sign in this book please?" the girl placed the book and a pen on the table. 
"Hey pretty girl! Get over here!" a bald drunkard at a table in the corner shouted. 
"Oh not again..," the girl groaned as she left Luq and tended to the drunk man. She poured more alcohol for him but shrieked as he smacked her bum.
Klaus stood and walked up to him. "You shouldn't have done that."
"Yeah? What are you gonna do about it?" the man slurred. He swung his bat at Klaus and missed.
"Hey!" the girl shouted in disapproval. 
"I wouldn't do that if I were you either," Klaus said as he grabbed the man and flung him across the room. The man groaned as he struggled on the floor, then remained still in his drunken stopper.
Klaus turned to the girl but she frowned and interrupted him. "No trashing around in my tavern!"
"I was helping you-" Klaus was interrupted again.
"I didn't need help!" she yelled. She thrusted a key in his hand and stormed off, taking her book with her from Luq. Luq contained his laughter. 
The next day, Klaus saw the girl walking down the street with a paper bag in her hand. "Need help with that?" he asked, walking beside her.
"It's you again!" the girl frowned. 
"Yes, and you're miss independent again," Klaus joked. 
She turned to him. "I want to see your sword."
Klaus removed the sword from the sheath behind him and proffered it to her, as she gazed on it. She lifted her head and smiled and Klaus felt his heart grow warm. Her voice turned as tame as her attitude. "My name's Liffa, what's yours?"

Klaus opened his eyes, looking at Liffa's sleeping face beside him. He touched her face, causing her to rouse from her sleep.
"I was just thinking about how we met," Klaus whispered. Liffa smiled as he kissed her on the forehead. 
In the noon they discussed strategies again. They caught wind of Jadak's army moving closer to the East, and they needed to move fast. 
"We can take up allies here," Luq pointed. 
"No, that's too much space here for an ambush," Liffa said. "I suggest we take up an alliance with this place, and use their battlefronts."
Klaus lifted his head. Liffa was pointing at Sephira. "That is a good idea, actually.. Klaus?" Luq turned to Klaus, hesitation in his voice. 
"That's the only solution we have. Let's ready ourselves and set out at daybreak," Klaus said as he grabbed his sword and left the tent.

Marya closed her eyes as her attendants painted on the back of her palm and her feet. 
"Princess, there is someone here to see you. Someone from Valleria?"
"Let him in," Marya said, her eyes still closed. 
Luq entered and saw Marya dressed in purple robes, a slit revealing her legs. He quickly turned away. "Oh..pardon me, Princess."
Marya opened her eyes. "Oh Luq." Her attendants stopped as she approached Luq and gave him a hug. "Lovely to see you again."
Luq blushed. "What do these symbols mean?" He said, lifting her hand to observe it. 
"A charm for good luck," Marya said as she stared at it. "We all need it in these desperate times."
"It's beautiful..you are beautiful," he muttered, gazing at her. Marya smiled back at him and turned away. "Shall we?"
"O-oh yes, Luq and the rest are waiting outside," Luq stuttered. 
They left to the main hall. They were on their knees, greeting the Princess. 
Marya hugged Klaus. "Welcome back, Klaus." 
Klaus outstretched an arm toward Liffa. "This is Liffa." 
Marya knew who she was. She smiled and greeted Liffa. "What a pretty girl," Marya complemented. Liffa blushed. "Y-you are beautiful, Princess."
The four of them settled in a room with the advisors of Sephira, "We have enough weapons and manpower to take them out, providing backup doesn't arrive," Marya said.
"Have you got the Sapphire back?" Klaus asked. 
Marya was reminded of the time five years ago, when her brother stole the Sapphire and gave it to the HEAT Corps. She felt her heart sink along with pain, but she shook it off. "I only have a fragment of it. It's a long story," Marya said with a sigh.
"Good enough, Marya," Klaus comforted. Liffa noticed the endearment and looked back at Marya, who smiled at Klaus. 
"That's that then, we'll attack them from both sides," Luq concluded.
"We'll gather our troops in the next few days and ready for battle," Marya said.

"I didn't know your friend was the Princess, a beautiful one at that," Liffa said, standing by the window. 
"Don't think too much about it," Klaus said, trying to end the conversation. "I think Luq takes a liking to her."
"Who wouldn't? I wouldn't be surprised if you did."
"Let's stop there. Get some rest for tomorrow, Liffa." Klaus turned and closed his eyes. 
"I'm going to take a walk," Liffa said haughtily.
She walked along the coast, her sand between her toes. She lifted her head and saw Marya donning a silver gown, sitting on the beach. 
"Princess!" she greeted.
"Oh Liffa! Come sit with me. Trouble sleeping?" Marya asked as Liffa plopped beside her.
"Not used to a foreign land. I miss home," Liffa sighed. 
"Why did you leave then?" Marya asked.
"Home's not the same as how it used to be. I used to run my family's tavern back in Barios. But there was corruption in the town and it was run by the HATE Corps. I met Klaus and followed him out of there."
"Yes, he has that effect on people."
"You knew Klaus long?" Liffa turned to Marya, eager for her response. 
"We were childhood friends, so to speak," Marya delicately answered. "It's getting late, I will head back now. Thank you for your story, Liffa."
Before Marya left, she turned back around. "Oh and Liffa, call me Marya."

Pull back, and release. It was the next morning, and Luq was training his archery.
"You're very good," Marya said as she entered the grounds. Luq turned in surprise and winked. "I never miss."
"Show me," Marya said as she picked up a bow and arrow. She knew archery, but she still to perfect it. She stood her ground and drew her bow. Luq placed a hand around her. 
"Hold tight here. Pull here." His face was inches from hers, and he could smell her hair. She smelled divine, he thought to himself. Her dark brown hair was tied in a ponytail, her usual dresses swapped for convenient wear this time. 
"Release!" Her fingers loosened their grip on the string, and the arrow hit the centre of the target. "Perfect!" she rejoiced, before realising how close she was standing to Luq. Her face was inches from hers, and she gazed into his eyes, her smile fading. Luq froze, his heart beating fast in his chest.
Marya quickly turned away, feeling her cheeks flush. "You are a good teacher, Luq."
"Only good students learn that fast," Luq said, trying to recover his usual suave.
Suddenly, the alarm sounded. Luq and Marya looked at each other.
"Tell them to get ready. We're under attack!" Marya hurried out of the grounds. She rushed to ready her army, but they were minimally prepared. They all gathered outside the castle grounds, ready to fight.
"They ambushed us!" Luq snarled.
"They must have Resistance soldiers come here, and decided to catch us off-guard," Liffa deduced. 
"Look alive, guys. They are coming," Klaus said, sheathing his sword. 
Luq turned to Marya. "Let's continue that when this is over."
Marya wielded her twin blades. "Save my kingdom and I'll owe you a favour."
The soldiers in their black armour started approaching, marching in-sync. Marya held up a blade. "Charge!" she shouted, as she ran head-first into the battle, her army behind her. 
Swords collided and blood spilled. Everyone fought well and hard. Klaus was worried about both Liffa and Marya, but Liffa needed more attention. She was young and had little battle experience compared to Marya. 
Marya identified the head soldier, the one signalling orders to the rest of them. It was hard to tell as he had his helmet on, but she knew he was the leader of the pack. She rushed ahead to tackle him. He spotted her forcing her way through the field to get to him. He jumped off his horse and blocked her attack with his sword. She swung her blades again but he dodged and hit her hard on her arm. Marya let out a painful groan but continued fighting. The soldier spun and hit her in her stomach. Marya fell to the ground, writhing in pain. She looked up at her attacker. "That move - who are you?"
The soldier removed his mask. Marya gasped. Klaus, from a few feet away, saw him. He stopped dead in his tracks. "Cid?"
"Cid! Don't you remember me?" Marya struggled to raise her voice with pain. 
"I'll never forget," Cid said as he striked Marya in the head, causing Marya to faint. He carried her over his shoulder and got on his horse.
"Princess!" Luq shouted after her as he fended off soldiers that blocked his way.
"Oh no.." Liffa said to herself as she tried to get to the retreating soldier. The HATE Corps started to retreat. They got what they came for, and now they were leaving.
"No! Cid!" Klaus roared. What was left were the injured army, and no Princess to rule Sephira.

Marya opened her eyes. She groaned with the ache in her torso, the throbbing in her head. Her hands were in chains to the wall, but she was on the bed to recover. She saw Cid standing before her. His once lively eyes were weary, his once bright orange hair now dull. He was happy, now he looked scorned. 
"Cid....why are you doing this..?" she asked groggily. 
"Rest Marya. We can't have the Princess dead," Cid said coldly.
She felt dizziness come upon her, and her eyes closed again.
The next time she woke, was when she felt a cold hand on her shoulder. Marya jumped at the sight of Cid next to her.
"Cid? Bring me back home Cid...," Marya pleaded.
"I never got what I wanted in life, Marya. No one cared, no one loved me. But I thought you did, Marya. You were the only one who cared about me," Cid said, his hand brushing the hair away from Marya's face. "Do you still care about me?"
"I do Cid..I tried looking for you everywhere. The night of the Reckoning, Klaus and I-"
"Enough about Klaus! He took you away from me!" Cid shouted.
"What..?"
"He stole you away! But now you're here..and you're mine." Cid pulled Marya towards him and rolled her over. He then tore her robe off. Marya cried out in shock. She had never seen Cid violent before, let alone this. He pushed himself deep inside her and thrusted.
"Cid no!" Tears rolled down Marya's face as she helplessly wished this would end.

"We need to find her!" Luq bellowed, hitting his axe against the table in agitation.
"We need to find out where they are," Klaus said softly, desolation in his voice. He couldn't shake off the pernicious look on Cid's face as he hit Marya. He couldn't shake off the feeling of losing Marya. Again.
"Sir." A soldier arrived. "We've captured a HATE Corps soldier. He didn't manage to escape and alive, sir." 
"Send him in. We need to interrogate him," Luq said, gripping the axe in his hand. 
"Oh no," Liffa covered her eyes.

Marya sobbed silently, her back against the bed frame. Cid entered the room, closing the door behind him. "Hello, Princess."
Marya shivered at the sound of his voice. She backed away from him, folding her knees to her bare chest. 
Cid sat in front of her and pushed a plate of food closer to her feet. "You need to eat."
"Can I have something to cover me?" Marya asked meekly, a tear rolling down her cheek. She did not dare to look at her tormentor, for fear the memory of him ravaging her will return. Her dignity was crushed, along with her chastity.
"But I prefer you like this. I've always wanted this," Cid smiled and placed a hand on Marya's thigh. 
Marya flinched, moving further from him. 
Cid's face fell, as if he was disappointed in Marya. Marya hid her face behind her knees, hoping for the best. But Cid grabbed her arm and pulled her closer to him.
"You don't get to disobey me!" He yelled as he climbed on top of her. 
"Please no... No!" Marya cried but it fell on deaf ears. Cid was inside her again, forcefully pushing. Marya violently thrashed around, the sound of her chains clanging, but it was no use. She glared at him, her eyes full of anger. 
Cid stopped and stared at her. "What? You have something you want to say to me?"
"You can consume my flesh, but you will know that I will always choose Klaus over you," Marya spat, her eyes burning with rage.
Cid's eyes narrowed, the weight of her words sinking in. "No." He pried himself off her. "No!" he threw her against the wall. Marya groaned in pain. Cid composed himself and walked to the door. "Eat. Or worse will happen." And with that, he left and shut the door behind him.

Luq cleaned the blood off his axe. "So now we know where they are." He turned to the lifeless HATE Corps soldier behind him, drained of blood. "Thanks, mate."
"We have to move now," Klaus said, grabbing his sword. 
"So fast? But we have regained our energy," Liffa opposed. 
"We need to." Klaus turned to Luq and Liffa, his face serious. He took a breath and continued. "In the past, Cid always had unrequited feelings for Marya. Now that he's taken her against her will, who knows what he'll do."
Liffa's eyes widened as she covered her mouth. 
"Hopefully that feelings will stop him from hurting her," Luq said as he put on his armour. 
"Off to the hardlands we go!" Liffa exclaimed, trying to garner energy in the group.

Cid entered the room and threw a white frock at Marya. "Wear this, our leader is coming to see you."
"Jadak?" Marya lifted her head to look at Cid. Cid felt his heart melt at those green eyes. 
"Yes." He unchained her so she could wear the oversized, dirty frock. After she was done, he took her by her wrists to move her to another cell. The other cell was dingy and grimy, with nothing inside it but a small skylight. The other room was a palace compared to this. Cid chained her to the ground again. 
"Behave, and he won't kill you," Cid whispered. 
"Take me home, Cid," Marya pleaded, her eyes starting to water. Cid softened, memories flooding back in his head. That time when the wind blew in Marya's hair, that time when she placed an arm around him and smiled. That time when he knew he wanted to marry her, but was beat when Klaus stole her away instead. 
Cid regained his stoic and stood upright. The wooden door opened, and in stood an older man in a black hood. The man lifted his hood, revealing his slick, blond hair. He smiled at Marya. "Princess of Sephira, how do you do?"
"I've been better," Marya replied with defiance.
"I am Jadak, I trust you've heard of me?" 
Marya kept silent and looked away.
"Give me the sapphire," Jadak commanded. 
"No."
The man wrapped his hand around Marya's neck and lifted her up against the wall. She gasped for air and struggled to break free. But Jadak's eyes grew red and Marya felt the strength fade out of her. 
Cid felt a pang of guilt. He did not mean for anyone to hurt her. He did not bring her here to suffer. He was merely following orders and wanted to see Marya again. He stepped forward, wanting to help her, but stopped himself from defying Jadak.
Jadak released Marya and she fell to the ground. She clambered for air, regaining her strength slowly.  "What sorcery is this?" She struggled to speak.
Jadak's eyes were normal blue now, and he cackled. "You don't understand, girl. It's the power of your sapphire." He inched closer to her. "Now give me the rest of the stone!"
"Never," Marya refused. 
Jadak turned to Cid. "Search her. Force the truth out of her." 
He then left the cell. Cid looked at Marya, pity filling his heart. Nonetheless, he approached her and towered over her. "I've stripped you bare and I didn't find it. Where is it?" 
"Cid, if you give it to him then he'll be informidable! He'll destroy everything! Our homes, our friends!"
"I don't have any friends left Marya!" Cid shouted. He sunk to his knees, his head bowed low.
Marya held his face in her hands. "You have me, Cid. You always had me."
Cid lifted his face to look at Marya, tears welling up in his eyes. He buried his face in her chest as Marya hugged him tight. Cid sniffed and pulled away, wiping his tears. He then stood and turned. Without looking back, he walked away and shut the door behind him.

"I'm exhausted!" Liffa whined as she plopped to the ground. 
"It's getting dark, let's set up camp here." Klaus started to unpack.
"I'll get a fire going." Luq rushed to gather dry branches.
Liffa held Klaus' hand as the settled around the burning fire. "How long will this madness continue?" she asked, a question that Klaus did not have the answer to.
"I don't know Liffa," Klaus answered honestly. 
"Look! Look at this!" 
Klaus and Liffa rushed to Luq's side. In Luq's hand was an anklet that Marya wore, Luq recognised it at the time when Marya's feet were being painted. He could not stop staring at those legs. Klaus took the anklet from Luq's hand. "This is Marya's. We must be on the right track!"
"Perhaps she left more clues for us! We have to look for them!" Liffa said.

"She's here!" Luq shouted as they rushed to open the prison door with the stolen keys. The door swung open, and there lay Marya in chains. Her hair unkempt, her frock stained, her skin dirty. She lifted her head to reveal her weary eyes. 
"Marya!" Klaus rushed to her side.
"Klaus!" She hugged Klaus tight, tears streaming down her face. 
Liffa looked on, noticing the affection. Luq broke the chains with his axe. "Guys, we have to go, reinforcements are coming."
They rushed out of the cell, Klaus carrying Marya in his arms. They fought off the soldiers that charged against them but they managed to break through.
As they were nearing the clearing, Marya placed a hand on Klaus'. "We can't leave Cid there."
"We'll come back for him, I promise," Klaus assured as Marya closed her eyes and let the fatigue overcome her. 

"The healer said you're malnourished, dehydrated, and suffering from shock. But you'll be okay," Klaus said with a smile as he sat next to Marya on the bed. "Are you okay?"
Marya didn't look at him, but her eyes were dazed instead. 
Klaus placed a hand on hers. "Did they do anything to you? Don't worry, you can tell me. Did Cid do anything to you?"
Marya's eyes flicked to Klaus' at the mention of Cid's name. Her eyes watered as she muttered the words in rage. "He r-raped me. Cid."
Klaus' breathed in deeply as Marya dazed again, but this time with watery eyes. He always knew she was strong, and always acting strong. He had no words of comfort, so he simply hugged her. Marya let out her tears as Klaus held her tighter.
"It's alright, you're safe now." Klaus patted her back. 
Moments later, Marya pushed him aside. "I need to cleanse myself, sorry."
She walked to the door, but turned. "Thank you Klaus."
Klaus shook his head. "I'm here for you, every time."

"So..is the princess alright?" Liffa asked. 
Klaus lay on the bed, closing his eyes. "She's a little physically drained, but she will be fine."
Liffa placed a hand on her hip. "Are you alright?"
Klaus opened his eyes to look at Liffa. "What do you mean?"
"I know you still love her, Klaus."
"What?"
Liffa turned away from Klaus, tears welling up in her eyes. 
Klaus got off the bed and approached Liffa, placing a hand on her arm. "Liffa, my dear, you are overthinking it."
Liffa turned to him as he lifted her chin to wipe away her tears. "You are the one I love. Marya was a dear friend to me, and that is why I care. But I love you." Klaus gave her a peck on the lips. Marya lowered her head and stared at the ground, unconvinced. Klaus gave her a hug. "When this is over, let's leave all this behind. The Resistance, Valleyria, Barios, we'll go to a whole new place and be happy."
Liffa looked at him, her eyes wide. "You want to leave all this behind?"
"I want to start a family with you," Klaus said, smiling.
"We should!" Liffa hugged him tight, excitement rising in her chest. "We could go to the south, where it's always warm and sunny there."
"I know you hate the snow."
"We can have five children, maybe we can open a small tavern..."
"We'll rebuild our lives there," Klaus promised, a smile on his face.

Luq knocked on the door, hesitant to enter.
"Come in," a faint voice sounded through the door.
Luq entered the room and saw Marya combing her wet hair in front of her dresser. She was dressed for bed, but still looked elegant and graceful as always.
"Princess," Luq greeted.
"What is it Luq?" 
"I am...terribly sorry for what happened, how you were treated as prisoner..," Luq stopped there, unable to continue.
Marya bit her lip and moved to sit on the bed, putting on a strong front. "No need, it's over."
Luq sat next to her on the bed. "I only wished I'd been there sooner to save you from that monster, that atrocity... Heaven knows what I'd do to him!"
Thinking about it made Luq enraged, his nostrils flared, his fists clenched. Marya placed a hand on his, soothing his anger. "Do you care about me, Luq?"
Luq stared into her emerald eyes, as he felt himself get carried away by her voice. "Of course I do, Marya. More than I can explain."
Marya leaned in closer to him, her voice lowered to a whisper. "Then be with me tonight, I can't bear to be alone." 
She kissed Luq tenderly on the lips. He closed his eyes and kissed her back, wrapping his arms around her.

Marya wrapped her blanket around her and stepped out on the roof, next to Klaus. Klaus turned and smiled at her. She smiled back.
"Had a good night?" Klaus asked. 
Marya sipped her drink. "Not bad, all things considered."
Klaus turned to Marya. "Marya, I have to leave with Liffa before winter comes."
"You're returning to the resistance camp?"
"No, we've decided to leave all of this behind. Once and for all." 
Marya turned to Klaus in shock. "What? Oh. This is a shock to me. This is what you want is it?"
Klaus hesitated, then looked Marya in the eye and replied. "Yes it is, Marya."
Marya's face softened. "Then I'm happy for you Klaus." She hugged Klaus, a pain in her heart that she may not see him again. She pulled away from him, her tone getting serious. "Then we push the fight earlier and we fight with Cid's army three moons from now."

Liffa fastened the chainmail on Klaus. "You ready?"
Klaus turned and gave Liffa a kiss. "Let's win this battle, and live our lives happily."
They met with Marya and Luq, and the rest of the battalion behind them. They marched to the frontlines, where they saw the HATE Corps distances away from them.
"Klaus, I'm scared," Liffa whispered. Klaus squeezed her hand. "No worries love, I'll protect you."
Marya turned to Luq. "Remember, do not kill Cid. He's still a childhood friend of mine."
Luq scoffed. "Yes Princess."
Marya looked into the distance and spotted Cid, his eyes squarely fixed on her.
The battle cry sounded, and both armies charged toward each other. Marya swung her twin blades, desperately trying to find the commander of the army, or even Jadak. She felt pain in her arm, and she turned and cut the soldier in half.
"Klaus!" Cid roared as he charged at Klaus. Klaus turned and blocked his blow, his sword clanging against Cid's.
"How could you do that to Marya!" Klaus shouted as he attempted to cut Cid.
"You knew I loved her, yet you took her from me!" Cid dodged and returned the blow.
"I didn't know!" Klaus hit Cid on the torso with his sword, and Cid fell to the ground. Klaus aimed his sword at Cid. "Stop this right now. It's been years. Let it go. We've all moved on."
Cid remained speechless, his breath heavy with the sword pointed at his throat. "I'll spare you. Leave us be," Klaus said as he turned away from Cid and continued fighting.
Cid grew furious. He struggled to stand, grabbed his bow and arrow and aimed at Klaus' back. He released the arrow, just as Klaus turned to face him.
"No!" Liffa threw herself in front of Klaus, and the arrow pierced her chest. 
"NO!" Klaus rushed to catch Liffa, who collapsed on the ground. "Oh please no.."
Tears streamed down his face, as he tried to stop the bleeding. It seemed like time stopped around Klaus, the soldiers froze in action and the fighting was paused. He only had Liffa to care for now. 
A snowflake landed on Liffa's face. "You know I hate the snow," Liffa struggled to speak. 
"Please don't leave me Liffa, we had a plan to leave after this," Klaus sobbed as he clutched her hand. 
"I love you Klaus," Liffa whispered as her eyes went white and life faded from her body.
"No.....," Klaus shut his eyes and buried his face into Liffa's chest. Her heartbeat was no more.
Luq saw this, and charged at Cid with anger. His axe landed heavily on Cid's back, pushing him down to the ground. He kicked the man in anger, and kept beating him.
"Cid!" Marya shouted as she approached them. Luq stopped hitting Cid, remembering the promise he made to her, not to kill Cid. Marya grabbed Cid by the collar. She turned to Klaus, who was clutching onto Liffa's lifeless body, and turned back to look at Cid. His bruised face showed little remorse. He wanted Klaus to suffer. 
Marya turned to Luq. "Kill him," she said coldly as she released him into Luq's hands, to let Luq end him.
Suddenly, a purple darkness engulfed Cid and he disappeared, rendering Luq and Marya shocked and speechless. They heard Jadak's laughter echo in the sky.
"Jadak! Just when I had him!" Luq snarled. 
Soon the HATE Corps were defeated without a leader, and though Sephira won, Klaus also lost. 
"I'm sorry Klaus," Marya said. "I don't know how else I can say it. We all loved Liffa."
"No, it's not your fault," Klaus replied, his tone soft and dead.
"What are your plans now?" Marya asked.
Klaus turned to Marya and Luq. "I'm going to return Liffa to Barios, then I'm going back to the Resistance to stop Jadak."
"Then I'll go with you," Luq said. 
"No you don't have to. I know you two have something going on-"
"We are brothers, and support is what brothers do," Luq interrupted. 
Marya forced a smile. "I will miss you both then."
She hugged Luq. "Thank you for everything Luq, safe travels to you."
She then hugged Klaus. "Safe travels Klaus, and may we meet again."

© 2016 bimbimbap


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on August 29, 2016
Last Updated on October 1, 2016
Tags: Magic, Kingdom, Past