Advanced Thyroid Test – Everything You Need to Know

Advanced Thyroid Test – Everything You Need to Know

A Story by Dr. B. Lal Labs
"

The gland is a small organ in our body that is located in the front of the neck.

"

Before jumping to today topic about the Advanced Thyroid Test, understand the thyroid and its function.

What is Thyroid?

The gland is a small organ in our body that is located in the front of the neck. It is wrapped around the windpipe. It is shaped like a bow tie that extends around the side of your throat. That gland is thyroid or thyroid is a gland.

This gland makes thyroid hormones that help or control many vital functions of your body. The hormones travel in your blood to all your body. When these thyroid hormones don’t work properly, they can impact your body.  

What does Thyroid Do?

The thyroid plays an important role in your body. It releases and controls the thyroid hormones that control your metabolism with specific hormones like T4(thyroxine), T3(triiodothyronine). These hormones tell the body cells how much energy to use.

There is a supreme leader called the pituitary gland located in the center of the skull below your brain. This pituitary gland monitors and controls the amount of thyroid hormone in your blood. This pituitary gland is called the thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Disease

A condition called hyperthyroidism occurs when your thyroid makes too much thyroid hormone, then your body uses energy quickly. When this condition occurs you feel tired, fast heartbeat, weight loss and feel nervous.

There is another condition called hypothyroidism that occurs when your thyroid makes too few thyroid hormones in your body. It makes you feel tired, weight gain and feel cold.

Now let’s understand the Advanced Thyroid Test

What is the Advanced Thyroid Test?

We know that the thyroid gland makes thyroid hormones like T3 and T4. The thyroid gland consistently releases these hormones in our body. So the blood test determines the number of hormones produced by the gland.

A blood test finds out the amount of TSH, T3, and T4 in our blood. Some thyroid hormones are bound for certain proteins in the blood and only unbound thyroid hormones are active and effective. These free thyroid hormones are called FT3 and FT4(F stands for free).

Advanced Thyroid Test

If the number of thyroid hormones T3 and T4 is high or low in our blood, there is an imbalance. These tests find out the levels of substance and what is causing the imbalance.

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)

If the level of this hormone is high means hypothyroidism. And if TSH levels in the blood are low maybe a sign of hyperthyroidism.

Free Triiodothyronine (FT3) and Free Thyroxine (FT4)

High levels of these free hormones in the body may be a sign of overactive thyroid, and low levels could be a sign of underactive thyroid.

Conclusion

Now we know about advanced thyroid test and why it is important. If there are any symptoms of thyroid visit the doctor.

© 2021 Dr. B. Lal Labs


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on August 4, 2021
Last Updated on August 4, 2021
Tags: advanced thyroid test

Author

Dr. B. Lal Labs
Dr. B. Lal Labs

jaipur, Rajasthan, India



About
Dr. B. Lal Clinical Laboratory Pvt. Ltd. was established in 1991 with a motive of Serves Best, Serves All more..

Writing