Unknown Protector

Unknown Protector

A Story by Britney N.

      The wind rustled the trees in an ever so menacing way, the mid November air bit at my cheeks and nose as I walked down the sidewalk. Autumn leaves crunched under my worn in black Converse shoes. I noticed my shoe was untied so I bent down to tie it so I wouldn’t trip. I had the tendency to do so. As I knelt there, tying my once pristine shoe, I heard a sound come from my left. It was a low growling sound, almost like what a dog would sound like if it felt threatened. I shot up and looked around in hopes to see, well, I wasn’t sure what I had hoped to see.  I was afraid I was going to get torn to shreds by a mangy rabid dog but there was no sign of anything nearby.  I took a second glance around me and shrugged at my mind playing tricks on me. I began to walk again and after a few seconds of walking I heard the noise again. This time, I just ignored it. ‘I’m just freaking myself out.’ I thought to myself and at that very moment, I felt a burning sensation in my left calf. The pain was unbearable. I let out a blood curdling scream and fell to my knees. I tried to fight off whatever had a hold of me but I couldn’t, the grip was inescapable. I threw myself onto my back and began kicking my legs. The pain got even more intense, I screamed at the top of my lungs in hope that someone would hear me. The tugging on my ligaments ceased and the animal slowly made its way to my face, it was snarling viciously. I stopped screaming and stared in its eyes. A quite large dog was staring right back at me. Its eyes were the brightest shade of green. I was terrified; I made sure not to make any sudden movements. I tried to get up but it put its paw on my chest and to my disbelief, I heard it speak.

             

  “You should not be out here alone.”

            

   “How can you speak?” I asked, genuinely curious at this point and not even paying any attention to my still throbbing and probably bleeding calf muscle.

             

  “I am not what you think. But, I am here to protect you. Now leave!”

             

  The animal jumped up and ran off at top speed. I had no idea what just happened.

© 2013 Britney N.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on November 26, 2013
Last Updated on November 26, 2013