Love Down Wallington Lane

Love Down Wallington Lane

A Story by Dream Choi
"

Romance that occurs in a bowling alley named Wallington Lane

"

Our story begins at a bowling alley called Wallington Lane. Despite the other sports that Jim wasn't so very good at, bowling was the one sport that Jim was actually good at and he had a fun time playing it. Unfortunately with so little time because of his job and school, Jim was only able to play on Friday nights before Wallington Lane would close. Once again, your thinking, okay...so some kind of romance is going to happen at Wallington Lane because this story's title says so. Well, in a matter of fact, it is. Jim's love life is struck down to a minimal, seeing how his life is filled up with so many things to do, so for Jim, a relationship was out of the question. It was a normal Friday night at Wallington Lane and with his normal routine of three games or so, out of nowhere, Jim notices a girl a few lanes away from him and he notices that she's been bowling there on Friday nights too. For Jim, this girl would be just another regular girl that he wouldn't care about, but on this night, something just hits him and Jim starts to fall in love with this girl. Who is this girl? Her name is Emily Dawson. Emily is a lonesome girl just like Jim but bowls to relieve the depressions of her father's death. It's been awhile since Emily's father's death. A small portion of depression was still left in Emily's heart that she had to get through to. Getting back to Jim, as Jim continued to play bowling, he notices the sad tension he gets from Emily's sad, depressing face. The bowling alley is now closed. Jim and Emily pack up their things and goes home from an exhausted night of bowling at Wallington Lane. After a nice hot shower, Jim sits on his bed getting ready to sleep but then, Jim starts to think of the girl he saw at Wallington Lane. Not knowing anything about this girl, Jim starts to feel sorry for the sad looking girl and wonders what could be bothering her so much to the point where she looked so depressed.

 

                It was next Friday at Wallington Lane when Jim as much fun he was having, would keep looking to see if she would show up. Sooner or later, Emily appeared through the sliding doors and walks over to Jim and tapped behind his shoulder. Jim turned around and was very surprised to see "her" standing right in front of him and staring directly into his eyes. His heart beats rapidly, sweat starts to drip down the back of his neck. "Umm, excuse me, I don't want to seem rude, but would you mind if I played on this lane?" she said, "this is my favorite lane that I like to play on and I can't play well on any other lane for some odd reason." Still nervous how Jim was, didn't say anything but just gave a little smile and moved his belongings to the lane next to hers. "Thanks a lot" she said, "hey, if you want, we can play a little one-on-one, what do you think?" Excitement rushed through Jim's body. "The names Emily, “she said, “mine Jim." Then Jim and Emily started play their little one-on-one game until Jim and Emily had to finish up their game since the bowling alley was about to close. Jim with the last shot finished up the game. Surprising to see, the score came out to a tie and with a giggle, "you know what this means right?" said Emily, confused, Jim looked at Emily, "umm...we're both winners?" Emily giggles, "No, I’m not leaving this game as a tie. We'll finish this next time we meet." Jim gladly accepts the offer and they both went home from a fun night at Wallington Lane. Jim lies down on his bed after a hot shower thinking about the fun time he had with Emily. With a smile on his face, our little star went to sleep.

 

                As you'd expect, both Jim and Emily met again at Wallington Lane next Friday and the rematch was underway. Both Jim and Emily were having a very good time playing together as they laughed and told each other funny events that had happened to them while bowling. Soon enough, they both started flirting with each other and then it happened. It was Jim's last shot and the pins were set up for a difficult attempt for a spare. Unexpected, Jim proposed to Emily, "If I make it, will you go out with me?" Not knowing what Emily would say, with a smile, Emily replied yes. Jim took the shot and scored the spare with ease. Jim looked over to Emily to see her scribbling something down on a piece of napkin. On it was Emily's phone number. She handed the piece of napkin to Jim and said, "This new restaurant just opened up the block that I've been dying to eat at. You can pick me up at seven o'clock tomorrow," and with a smile and farewell, she left. Jim excitingly went home, did the usual showering and thinking upon his bed as he went to sleep. Jim couldn't wait till tomorrow for his first date with Emily. At the restaurant, their lovely dinner was coming to an end. As Jim and Emily walked out the restaurant, Jim found a piece of gum wrapper in his pocket and as they passed by a trash can, Jim aiming at the trash can with the piece of gum wrapper, he proposed to Emily, "if I make it, will you give me a kiss?" she shook her head giving the sign to go for it. Jim took the shot but missed. Emily giggled and gave Jim a kiss anyway. With love in their hearts, Jim dropped Emily off at her apartment and walked her to her door and they said their goodbyes with another kiss. Jim drove home a changed man, a happy man that had his eyes set on one girl, a girl that he loved so much.

 

                It was late spring and Emily and Jim had been dating for many years now. They both loved each other very much and were the happiest couple in New Jersey. Every now and then, Jim and Emily would still go bowling at Wallington Lane and would play on Emily's favorite lane almost every time they went. One day at Wallington Lane, now Emily with the situation at a difficult spare shot asked Jim, "If I make it, will you marry me?" and with tears in his eyes, "Yes."

 

                Jim and Emily is now a married couple and they couldn't be happier. As a married couple, Emily and Jim loved to spend their weekend at Wallington Lane where it began. It was Valentine’s Day, and Jim couldn't wait to tell Emily that he had a surprise location for dinner. When the time came, Jim took Emily to the restaurant where they had their first kiss. It was raining very hard outside and on the drive back home; they were scared if they would make it home alright. Then all of a sudden...

 

                Jim woke up a Saint Helen's Hospital finding himself dazed with a big headache. Looking around him, he wonders where Emily is. He calls the nurse over and asks what had happened. The nurse tells Jim that he and Emily got into a car accident. Jim now realizing what had happened, he asks the nurse where Emily is. The nurse replies, "I’m sorry dear, but the girl you were with is about to go under surgery in the operation room. You got an injury on your head and broke some ribs, but Emily on the other hand had a more serious injury that needed immediate medical attention." Jim got out of bed and ran to the operation room.

 

                Jim finds Emily in the O.R. and gets on his knees to see her in the horrible condition that she's in. Jim grabs her hand as he weeps. The nurses tell Jim that he must leave immediately. Right then Emily slowly opened her eyes and whispered to Jim, "Jim, if I make it, will you still love me?" In tears, "...yes babe, until the day I die... I'll love you forever more." The nurses then pulls Jim out of the O.R. and Jim cries in tears as he waits for the doctors to finish. An hour passes by when suddenly the doctor comes out of the O.R. "DOCTOR, IS SHE OKAY? TELL ME, IS EMILY GOING TO BE ALRIGHT?" The doctor replies, "I'm sorry...but there was nothing else we could do. I'm very sorry for your loss."

 

                Darkness falls, and all alone with sorrow, Jim looks down on his wife's tombstone, "HERE LIES EMILY DAWSON, A LOVING WIFE AND A BEST FRIEND" 1979-2008." With our star's last words... "Until the day I die, I will always love you forever more."

 

© 2009 Dream Choi


Author's Note

Dream Choi
Note that this is my first story I've ever written so please comment/rate my story and give suggestions.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Over all I thought it was a decent story, love how the ending isn't a happy one, more realistic, there are some errors though, but over all well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
1 Review
Added on January 12, 2009

Author

Dream Choi
Dream Choi

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ



About
19 years old Korean Male Lives in New Jersey, USA Loves bowling, computer games, going out with friends, playing guitar more..

Writing