Fuel Treatment - a fight against Diesel Bug

Fuel Treatment - a fight against Diesel Bug

A Story by Bob Clark
"

When diesel tanks are cleaned people often observe a slimy sludge at the bottom of the tank.

"

This sludge can clog the filters in an automobile and is not only a threat to cars on land but also to ships in the ocean.


Diesel Bug?


Diesel Bug is not just one single organism or species. It includes at least 30 different types of microbes, fungi, algae, bacteria and they are collectively known as 'Diesel Bug'.

Don'ts


Take a few precautionary measures. They are very simple, useful and should be done from time to time. Don't leave the diesel tanks

1. Open
2. Half filled,
3. Unclean, or
4. With improper air filters


Because these actions may lead to contamination. Even one drop of water is enough to make the fuel tank a breeding place for microbes. It will lead to a chain of events -- water being heavier than diesel will settle down at the bottom, microbes will acquire oxygen from water and nutrients from diesel and will multiply. They corrode the surface of the metal tank. They will further clog the fuel filters and ultimately lead to engine failure.


Dos


Periodic checkups of the fuel and cleaning the tank regularly will help to prevent the growth of microorganisms and nip the problem in the bud if it even appears. Periodic checkups should include checking the


·                     color of the fuel

·                     smell of the fuel (should not smell like hydrogen sulphide)

·                     power functioning of the engine

·                     deposits in the fuel tank

·                     black smoke emission

·                     heating of the automobile


Now, say the problem has appeared, and then what is the best possible option for Diesel Bug Fuel Treatment available to us?


1. Professional establishments are present to help the people who are not sure whether they can do it themselves.
2. There are various products available in the market which helps to get rid of the microorganisms from the oil tank when used in proper dosage. They are mostly Biocides and are extremely poisonous. They should be used carefully and only after reading the proper instructions. Proper filters and equipments need to be bought after the extermination of the microbes and the remaining fuel is to be filtered to get rid of the slimy sludge at the bottom. After proper filtering the fuel can be used again.

3. As technology progresses, magnetic decontamination and ultraviolet fuel treatments are becoming more common. They are better solutions as microbes may become immune to the biocides with time.

© 2014 Bob Clark


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on September 24, 2014
Last Updated on September 24, 2014