Demon Brands

Demon Brands

A Story by Stephen

Talgin pulled the tattered cloak tighter around him. Night was falling and with it would come bitter cold. He longed for his fine thick cloak, but that would have drawn far too much attention in this pour district of the city. Those fools thought they could find the sort of person they needed in one of the expensive taverns or boarding houses near there homes. Talgin knew better. He knew that in those places you would find many who wanted the overlord dead but you’d have to look to the cheap taverns and brothels in the shadows to find someone willing to kill him.
He heard a woman scream from one of the narrow side streets. He hurried as fast as his old legs would carry him. He knew he could be of little help to the one in trouble, but maybe she could help him. When he reached the corner he stopped and peered around it. A woman dressed as if she served in one of the near by taverns was trying valiantly to break free of the grasp of a very large man. He had her back pressed against his chest. One arm was wrapped around her stomach pinning both her arms, his other hand was clasped over her mouth to stop further screams. This however left her legs free and she was taking advantage of it. She kicked at his legs and at his Four companions whenever they got close enough.
After being hit in the face by such a kick one of the men drew a sword and declare, "I don’t think she’s worth all this bother."
The one holding her laughed, "Come on Sev, you know the ones with fire in them are always the funest to break."
"Gentlemen, gentlemen." Talgin jumped slightly and turned. Standing not three feet from him was the man who had just spoke. Granted Talgin had been occupied watching the lady and her captures but he had not completely let his guard down. In an area like this that was a death wish. Yet he had not heard this man come within arms reach of him. It wasn’t as if this was some slip of a boy that looked as if a good wind could take him away either. He was slightly above average height and well above average build. He had muscles that spoke of years of training and use. And yet Talgin was sure he had not made a single sound when he approached. The woman’s captures seem equally confused but that probably had to do with someone calling them gentlemen. The man continued, "Now I have to admit none of you are that easy to look at but surely you don’t have to go to such measures for a woman to share your bed."
The one with his sword in hand said, "You obviously aren’t from our fair city. Otherwise you’d know not to interfere in the dealings of the Claw Brotherhood."
The new comer started walking towards the Sev, "You’re right I’m not from here, if I was you would be running by now." He had two short blades hanging from his belt but made no move for them. He just continued to slowly walk towards the four men and their prisoner.
The one who had spoken screamed and charged the small distance that still separated them. He swung his sword in a high slash aiming to cut his opponent’s throat. Talgin hadn’t drank anything that night. He was sure he hadn’t. He had wanted his senses to be clear. Yet what his eyes witnessed his mind wished it could blame on alcohol. The stranger didn’t attempt to draw his own blades. He didn’t duck or dodge. He merely slapped the sword out of the way. His left hand shot up and his open palm slapped the flat of the sword causing the blade to slice over his head. Talgin had seen many fighters in his time, and he had seen many braggarts and show offs. But never had he seen someone even willing to attempt such a move, let alone execute it without receiving some much as a mark. The Sev was shocked as well but recovered quickly. He did a combination of three rapid slashes only to have the stranger do the same with each. As the attacker stared gapping at the man Talgin noticed two other things about the would be hero. He wore a bracer that covered the back of his right forearm but no mate on the left, and he now bore what looked like a shallow cut across his right palm.
"Now is when an intelligent man would realize he should quite." The stranger commented.
The Sev yelled over his shoulder without taking his eyes from the man, "Are you guys going to come here and help me or just stand there watching all night." The large man stayed where his was and continued to hold the woman. She had stopped struggling and was staring just like everyone else. The other three drew their swords and slowly stepped up to stand next to Sev.
The stranger sighed, "Of course." Now he drew the two short blades. He did not hold them pointed upwards as the other did. Instead he had them pointed down and his wrists bent so the blades ran back along his arms. Talgin knew there could be many explanations for this style but with what he had already seen he took it to mean he had found what he sought, an assassin.
The four members of the brotherhood move to surround him. It was obvious they were use to working together and had much practice ganging up on a single foe. All of that however did them no good. As they took their positions Talgin watch the assassin take a fighting stance, then there was a sense of movement more than an actually sight of it. The assassin was in a different stance and the four men fell to the ground dead.
Talgin closed his eyes and quickly shook his head. This could not be. A killer of this skill taking on a gang of thugs to save a harlot on some back street. This was a legend you heard by a fire not something anyone actually saw.
The assassin walked through the spreading pool of blood towards the man holding the girl. "You have to realize how this will end. Show more sense than your friends."
The man tossed the woman roughly to one side. She actually hit the wall of the building and slid to the ground. He smiled at the assassin. He flexed his muscles and did various little movements to loosen them up. Then he raised his hands to his face and stuck a finger from each in the corners of his mouth. He blew a series of sharp whistles then folded his arms and smiled again. In moments over two dozen arm men appeared from every direction. Talgin had to climb on top of a barrel and give up all pretense of hiding in order to see.
The assassin slowly turned in a circle returning his blades to their sheaths as he did and saying, "Your brotherhood appears to be a much bigger family than I thought." Talgin saw him doing something with his hands and cursed under his breath he couldn’t tell what. It look as if he were rubbing the cut on his right palm and then scratched an itch under his bracer. Casual things that should cause no suspicion but by this point Talgin was convince everything this man did was deliberate and held purpose. He looked back at the large man who was still smiling.
"We are. One of the reasons for this is our reputation which we have spent years making." The assassins muscles tensed and for a moment he looked under strain. The large man took this as a sign he knew what was about to happen. Talgin took it as a sign something no one but the assassin had any idea of was about to happen. The big man continued, "Since you killed four of us so easily we’re going to have to make your death very bloody so that people don’t start getting the idea we’ve become weak."
"Only four?" The voice was the most sensual thing Talgin had ever heard, "You must be something impressive." He looked near where the woman had been thrown and saw another woman step away from the wall and walk towards the big man. No woman was an insult to this beauty. She was a dream made flesh. Despite the fact that at his age Talgin had not felt true lust in years it was as if his body we’re young again and denying his brain control. There’s no door there, his mind screamed. There is no way for her to have gotten there through the crowd. His body didn’t care how she’d gotten there she was there and that’s all that mattered. Her clothing made no sense. It looked like across between armor and a dancing girl’s outfit. There was metal but it covered no vital organ, in fact it covered very little. Talgin knew on some level this should seem strange but right then it didn’t matter. All that mattered was she was there and he wanted her. Every member of the brotherhood seemed to feel the same. Even the woman whose cries had started all this seemed captivated by this amazon. The only one unaffected was the assassin.
The Assassin smiled at her but not in the way the others did. His seemed to be that of a friend sharing a joke. "There were only five of them at the time, Sasha."
Everyone including Talgin quietly repeated the name. The name didn’t feel right to him. It suited her well but still fell far short of a perfect fit. She reach the assassin and smiled down at him. Down? Talgin mind asked. How tall is she. But his body pushed this thought aside with the conclusion that she was perfect. "You left one and he became thirty? What have I told you about unresolved problems?" Her words made no sense but none of them seemed to care. So long as they got to hear that voice it didn’t matter what she said.
"A whole bunch of words that I have yet to understand." the Assassin replied. "Now would you be so kind as to take care of these gentleman while I take their would be plaything and the gray-haired gentleman who I believe wishes to hire me," he motioned toward Talgin and she looked at him. The moment his eyes met hers he knew nothing in the world could compare to how he felt then. Nothing that is short of having her.
"Alright then," she said turning back to the assassin and nearly breaking Talgin’s heart by turning away from him, "You go and handle your boring business and I’ll stay and play with these boys." Every member of the brotherhood couldn’t believe what they’d just heard. If they let those three go she would stay with them? Truly the gods must be smiling upon them.
The assassin walked over to the fallen woman. Members of the brotherhood quickly stepped out of his way. He picked her up and carried her to the barrel Talgin was standing on. Talgin continued to stare at the goddess who now stood in the middle of a sea of street thugs. How could the assassin just leave her there. He felt the assassin tug at his sleeve. He took his eyes from her determined it would only be for long enough to tell this man just what he thought of him. But when he looked into the assassin’s eyes the words were forgotten.
"You want to come with me. Now!" Talgin just nodded and climbed down from the barrel. He walked next to the assassin and they started down the street Talgin had first been walking on. It was now deserted. The locals knowing how it was far healthier never to witness an event like the brotherhood teaching someone how to pay the proper respect.
The woman the assassin carried asked, "What have you done? They will kill her. And when they finish with her they’ll come for us."
Back from around the corner came a sound like nothing Talgin had heard before. Later when he thought back to it he’d say that if a lizard could roar it would sound something like it. Then there were screams, many many screams. The assassin acted as if he hadn’t heard anything. He just kept walking. He did however look down at the woman in his arms and say, "When she’s finished with them they won’t be going anywhere."
As they approached one of the taverns the lady explained it was where she worked and that it would probably be better if she walked in rather than was carried.. The three of them entered the not overly crowed main room and she ran back towards the kitchen while the two men found a table in the corner.
"Let me try and save us a lot of time." The assassin began. "You can call me Marcus. What you just saw really did happen and if you want me to explain you must forget such words as impossible. If you do not want me to explain I have no problem with that and we can get straight to business."
Just then the woman he’d saved came over with two large tankards of dark ale. Setting them on the table she smiled and said, "Not that I’m not grateful or anything but these are the only free drinks you’re getting. If you’re going to need more you’ll have to pay. I can’t afford what it would probably take to fill you up."
With one hand Marcus open a pouch on his belt, pulled out a heave coin, and tossed it to her. "He’s probably going to need more." She looked at Talgin for the first time since coming to the table. He was holding the tankard with both hands, had it half drained and showed no signs of stopping before seeing the bottom.
"I’ll be right back." and she again headed for the kitchen.
Talgin put the now empty tankard back on the table. "I am Talgin. For years my family served beside the rulers of this fair city. Then Croval came. He is a wielder of powerful dark magics and he stole this city from them. But now the last heir is of age and we seek someone who can return his family’s thrown to him."
Marcus smiled, "Do you have any idea how many times I’ve heard that story? Let me share something with you I’ve learned, a person’s bloodline has nothing to do with what kind of ruler they’ll be.” Talgin gaped, he had not been sure what to expect but this certainly wasn’t it. Marcus continued, “And why despite the fact we just met do you feel safe in telling me you are part of a resistance seeking someone to kill the city’s overlord?"
"From what I have seen I’m sure you could gain from me any knowledge you wished so I might as well tell you what I know." he answered still trying to follow the strange path their conversation had taken.
"So you wish no explanation of what you saw."
"Actually I do, I just want another drink first." Talgin answered. Marcus slid his own tankard over to him and Talgin drank deeply. This time it was only half empty when he set it to the table but his mind had caught up with the conversation. "That woman wasn’t human. You are amazing, and like no warrior I’ve ever heard of before but I can accept that you are just well trained and gifted. She however can’t be human."
Marcus sat back in his chair. "Interesting, why are you so sure?"
Talgin smiled. He had served with the last true ruler and had years of experience reading people. Now that he had calmed down those skills were coming back. Marcus actually was curious on how much he could figure out for himself. He closed his eyes and thought back. The remembered image of the woman was still incredibly alluring but held far less power over him. "She had to be nearly seven foot tall. She caused uncontrollable desire in all that saw her, except you, even tho back when I had such feels on a more regular basis it was a far different type of woman who caused them. She appeared out of no where," He remembered the movements he was sure ment far more than they appeared. He opened his eyes and looked at Marcus and then down to the bracer on his right arm. "Would you please take that off."
Marcus smiled again. He untied the leather thongs that held the thin bracer in place and lifted it from his arm. Just before his wrist there was an ornate circular symbol a little wider than a large man’s thumb burned into his skin. Four other similar symbols formed a line with it to just below his elbow. They were different sizes with the one at the wrist being smallest and the center one largest. They seemed to have nothing in common with each other but Talgin could not be sure for the harder he looked at them the less his eyes seemed willing to see. Finally he sat back blinking his eyes and took another mouthful of ale.
"I am very impressed." Marcus said. "Very few would have made the connection to my movement and her arrival. Unless I’ve started to get sloppy?"
"No." Talgin assured him. "You have not, or if you have I can’t imagine what you were like before. I have never heard of a wizard with true skills as a fighter."
Marcus laughed confusing Talgin completely. "I’m not wizard my friend. In fact I know no magic."
"But you used your blood to summon it?" he said pointing at the brands.
"He doesn’t know magic." A sultry voice said from next to him. Talgin quickly turned and found the giant warrior woman standing next to his chair. With one hand one the back of his chair and one on the table she leaned down till her face was practically touching his. He felt none of the lust he had before. In fact he was sure this was just how a mouse felt as a cat closed it’s jaws on it. "That’s our job." she finished.
For the first time in his long life Talgin fainted.

© 2008 Stephen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hay don't leave me hanging what happens next?
Great start, it truely draws you in with a dark promise of fantasy and violence. I found it to be very well written with a flow that did not get overloaded with details that are just overkill (I dont care how blue his eyes were or that a rat scurried through the alley) that too many stories tend to have. I love the darkness and feeling you created for atmosphere it really brings all the emotion forward. I look forward to reading more!


Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 9, 2008
Last Updated on August 21, 2008

Author

Stephen
Stephen

vernal, UT



Writing
Men Of Metal Men Of Metal

A Poem by Stephen


Work Work

A Poem by Stephen