REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS IMPERFECT

REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS IMPERFECT

A Poem by Boris

It is the middle of a sunny summer day

I am running down the stairs

quickly and excitedly, with my neighbours following me.

 

We all want to see the Sun

It just fell down in the front yard

I saw it coming down like an overripe cantaloupe,

staining the sky with sticky, succulent golden juices.  

 

There it is,

lying on the ground,

a giant orange, trampling the grass it landed on,

squirting its warm essence all over our bodies.
 

 

The neighbourhood dogs are running around,

barking at this strange visitor.

 

I approach it warily. I touch it.

It is warm and beautiful,

glistening in the mid-noon light.

 

I remember well the feelings of amazement, incredulity,

inexplicable joy overwhelming me

and the comical expressions of confusion

on the faces

of my neighbours.

 
 

© 2008 Boris


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Though I tend to distrust memories from time to time … I like this, it reads well, actually it reads like a memory, as if the colors are different because memories partake in different color schemes than the perception of ‘now’.
My oldest memory is ‘trauma’ when I was less than a year old I was severely with a Salmonella infection of some kind, I have a visual memory of that, at least I use to, the image I think is gone now but I still have the memory as a memory which I know I have yet can no longer ‘remember’. I was sitting on the hospital bed, crying … crying …

Steven

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

My first impression is great imagination to craft a poem such as this with the sun falling down. Clearly not our sun, as it is "glistening in the mid-noon light." but one of another galaxy. Interesting how the tense changed from present in the beginning to a remembrance in the closing lines. I thought the imagery was good especially the line describing it as an overripe cantaloupe. Really quite out of the ordinary, which is what I like about it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This was crafted with great precision. It created a sense of serenity in my mind.

An exuberant construction that unifies the reader with the fruits of creative writing. I admire how this felt so organized.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wonderful powers of observation, you are skilled at getting your message across in extremely readable passage. The sun on the ground like an over ripe orange...we get plenty of that here! Too much at times.
I really loved this for the image it created in my mind, the sun, the children and the play.
Kudos from me...
Cheers,
Helen :-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


another beautiful poem. you are talented.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Ahhh . . . don't get me started on my thoughts about the Sun. Very descriptive and I adore the imagery. The Sun is so taken for granted. That's why it's my favorite star.

Brava!

S

Posted 15 Years Ago


Brilliant imagery:) Its as if you can feel the warmth emanating from the fallen sun:) It is a very light-hearted and enjoyable piece:)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Beautiful imagery and cadence in this work. I agree with Manoosh - there is a playfulness to this that is reminiscent of childhood memories. Quite a stirring work. Thank you.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


A fallen sun. Hmmm, I'm thinking BBQ time. I like this. Has a "warmness" to it even if it is a bit bizarre. Sorry took so long on the review. Been really busy with work due to some injuries (of others) making it to where I have to work extra hours for awhile. Good poem though.

Posted 15 Years Ago


nice imagery

Posted 16 Years Ago


i really like this poem. it's put together very well. flows through my mind like water. i love it.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

800 Views
48 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 28, 2008
Last Updated on February 28, 2008

Author

Boris
Boris

Melbourne, Australia



About
My life-long ambition is to become a child prodigy when I grow up. I have but one humble aim - to change the very fabric of space-time itself. My hobbies in my spare time include conducting my o.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..