The Man Who Took It

The Man Who Took It

A Poem by Daniel DeLorez

A life taken doesn't go away completely:

It doesn't go to Heaven,

it doesn't go to Hell.


It lives on within the man who took it:

His burden never lifted,

his home becomes a cell.


The crack of the rifle,

the flash of the bullet.

The cries of the enemy,

and the blood of the man who took it.


The moment that replays in the mind's eye:

Day after day,

night after night.


He kisses his daughter on her sweet little check:

Tucks her into bed,

pretends he's alright.


The clouds of gun-smoke,

the children's cries.

The morbid bloodshed,

the site that would never leave his eyes.

© 2016 Daniel DeLorez


Author's Note

Daniel DeLorez
Might come back to this one... Still feels unfinished.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I understood everything you said within the lines of this poem, Daniel. You could add to it, I suppose, but you have conveyed completely the gist of your write. This reminds me so much of my Uncle Mac who fought and was captured by the Japanese in World War II. He was shipped to Japan and spent years in a Japanese prison. He came home a broken shell of a man. War is a b***h!

Posted 7 Years Ago


I believe it's the person's conscience that haunts them after a horrendous crime. Deep down I believe we all know what is right and what is wrong. Some just choose to ignore it and try to convince themselves they enjoy the despicable life they've chosen to live. We typically love it when horrible stories have good endings...I like to believe justice will be served in the end - I guess it's just my way of coping with injustice. Really good poem - I enjoyed it!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Maybe the one who takes the life has to sort of live on its behalf in some way. Just wondering. I can't imagine what it must be to take a life. A soldier must do it and it is his duty to do so. I watch a lot of history stuff, but because I have never been near the sharp end I do not know what it is to live it. I think in WW2 the moral issues were a little clearer. But things are not so black and white now. Can we trust those in power who demand we die or kill? 'it lives on within the man who took it' is a great line. It is a thoughtful line and it makes me think, too.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Whats up with the name? Daniel?????

Posted 7 Years Ago


Daniel DeLorez

7 Years Ago

I figured I needed an alias.
I can't imagine what soldiers have to battle with long after they are released from duty - this hits home deep and it's good as it is but you're the author!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel DeLorez

8 Years Ago

I appreciate the praise. Thank you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 4, 2016
Last Updated on October 6, 2016
Tags: death, war, dark, poetry, soldier

Author

Daniel DeLorez
Daniel DeLorez

Columbus, KS



About
Proud soldier of the US Army and father to a beautiful little girl. I write in an attempt to maintain my sanity. more..

Writing