Aftermath

Aftermath

A Story by Finnian
"

Set during a war...

"

            Rain, that was my only escape. It was the closest I ever came away from my personal hell and back to my home where it always rained every day, all year long. The closest I would ever be again.

 

            I tilted my back slightly and let the water hit my face. It felt like a pounding as rain poured from the sky, but I didn’t care. I was too happy to care. I couldn’t help it when the corners of my mouth lifted from their usual frown into a smile. I haven’t smiled in what felt like years.

 

            I was ripped out of my daydreams when a large, calloused hand clamped around my bony shoulder and shook me almost out my seat on the edge of the rooftop of an abandoned warehouse. “I knew it. You weren’t listening.” The deep, raspy voice of my partner was almost completely drowned out by the sound of pounding rain and violent wind. “I, uh, sorry…” I mumbled. He doesn’t seem to hear me. “We should get back to town,” he said, standing and pointing to the distant jumble of buildings and houses that was the far-off town we had left hours ago to explore the outskirts. “No, you can go on without me. Tell the others I stayed behind.” I tilted my head back again and let my mind wander again.

 

            He gave me puzzled look and stretched out his hand to me anyway. I swatted it away. “You really don’t have to wait up for me. Go, I’ll be there soon enough.” He just sighed and withdrew his hand back into his sweater pocket. “You know I can’t leave you behind. I could get in trouble. ‘Don’t let the newbie out of sight,’ those were direct orders.” I lied back with my legs still dangling over the edge and stretched my arms on either side. “Then I guess you’re stuck with me,” I said.

 

            He sighed again and sat back down, not wanting to get into a dispute. He glanced down at me. I clearly wasn’t dressed for rain. A thin cotton shirt surely wasn’t going to shield me from the cold. “You’re going to get sick,” he said, tugging at my short shirt sleeve. “Hmm,” was all I decided to respond with. We sat there in silence for a long time, the water hitting the cement roof and rustling of leaves in the wind was the only sound to be heard.

 

            With my eyes closed and body soaked, memories of my home played over in my head. Memories of playing in the rain every day after school, playing in puddles with childhood friends and coming home to my loving mother and father. All of it, ripped away so suddenly for a pointless war.

 

            “Why do you like the rain so much? I can’t stand it,” he asked, hugging himself tighter in a pathetic attempt for warmth. I sat up and stared down at the muddy ground below, smiling as I remembered playing in the mud as a young boy. “It makes me forget,” I said simply, “reminds me of home.” My smile fell back to its usual frown and squeezed my eyes shut when I felt tears form in my eyes. No, I will not cry. I didn’t cry then, I will not cry now.

 

            I felt the calloused hand on my shoulder again, only now more gentle, squeezing in comfortingly. I looked up at him, surprised by this unusual gesture. He’s usual so stoic and cold. I didn’t even think he had… feelings. “It’s okay, um, you’ll be home soon, uhh…” He stuttered, trying to find the right words. I gave him reassuring nod and gazed back down to the puddles far below, water spilling down from my outgrown hair. His hand never left my shoulder.

 

Soon… yeah, soon.

 

 

            

© 2012 Finnian


Author's Note

Finnian
I apologize for the lack of an actual plot for this story. I'm also sorry the characters don't have names. I just had this idea and I wanted to share it. I might make an actual point to this story sometime, not sure yet. Feedback would be nice. Be gentle with me, please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow, interesting. i actually liked the lack of names, it added a little mystery to the story

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
1 Review
Added on July 22, 2012
Last Updated on July 22, 2012

Author

Finnian
Finnian

San Diego, CA



About
Hello, my name is Finnian. I'm that one kid who reads all the time and listens to weird music and gets stuff thrown at him a lot. I have wanted to be a writer since kindergarten. I also love art, acti.. more..

Writing
Prologue: Mister Prologue: Mister

A Chapter by Finnian


Beggars Beggars

A Book by Finnian


Chapter 1: Runt Chapter 1: Runt

A Chapter by Finnian