An Eccentric's View

An Eccentric's View

A Story by Rb

Time hasn't been kind on the eccentric. Generation come and go and I feel as if the general dulling out of the light that was the artist and the weirdo. My body longs for a diferent time. Not the kind of longing that an overzealous history major might, or the longing of a teenage girl over her head in false idolism of the Beatles and the 60's as if it were the only utopia for her unique mind and fashion (that she shares with the millions of other "individuals" across the nation). No, my body longs for innovation, creativity, times - although simpler - where the mind was set free and not in the constant loop of life that has become similar to the re-runs of Everyone Loves Raymond that could make the most optimistic of men want to drink bleach. I want to be a cowboy. Not the freak who walks around town in assless chaps - however comfortable they may be- or a man on the re-enactment scene (similar to the disco club scene of the 70's but with less sex and scaryily equal amounts of mustaches). I want to be a man who was born somewhere around the 1860's. There were frontiers to be explored, ideas to be birthed, the Earth was still yet to be polluted by the all knowing men of acadamia. Roaming open plains, living as a mystery, being a man who can enjoy the fruits of an ever turbulent young country, and yet, I'm stuck here. I've been diluged in this sadness for the past week. Whether reading about the early explorers or watching a constanst stream of Western movies, I feel boxed in. A meaningless peon in a meaningless town on a meaningless rock floating around the runt of stars in the Milky Way, only 1 of millions of galaxys that spread across the known plane of existence known as The Universe...and I feel boxed in. It may be in the people, it may be in the lack of land, but something has drained from the race of Homo Sapien. The wise human as their scientific name suggests has become too wise. The curiosity is gone and never again will we have men in soldered suits fighting make believe dragons or fanatical Italians sailing to the end of a flat world. We've done it all. We've seen enough. Perhaps understanding the universe was a quest that only ended in the decadence of something ever more important then science, the human thirst for knowing what's out there.

© 2009 Rb


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Rb
Well I usually write on a hunch and don't come back to it. I basically come up with a line or two and base an idea from that . So usually there's spelling and grammar issues, and the line about whatever it is my body longs for will forever be a mystery to those who aren't the September 20th version of myself. But thank you.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Hmm, depressing...

Well written. The pop culture references help to make it relevant, while contrasting with the larger issues examined. One thing I did notice:

'...body longs from creation..."

Longs for creation perhaps? Also, Homo Sapien should be capitalised. Other than that, looks good. Is it finished, or are you still working on it? I enjoyed reading it, even if I don't agree with everything you said ;-)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 21, 2009
Last Updated on December 29, 2009

Author

Rb
Rb

About
I like to write. more..

Writing
My Jericho My Jericho

A Poem by Rb


I hate fights I hate fights

A Poem by Rb