A Walk in the Woods - An Autumn Day

A Walk in the Woods - An Autumn Day

A Story by Ben

Sunlight dappled through the firs and spruce as James and Lily made their way through the forest. A crisp autumnal day, one where the air was slightly harsh to the back of the throat, but not too much so as to make it bitter. A good temperature, if one wore the correct clothing it could be most enjoyed.
James was not unfamiliar with courting women, but Lily was different. When he saw her smile and the skin crinkled around her deep brown eyes it made his chest flutter in a strange way which he had not felt in a long time.
They came to a fork in the path marked by a young spindly oak not yet at the majesty it would one day become.
“Right or left?” Lily questioned.
“I reckon left, there is a grass meadow just a ways up.”
The path was littered with fallen branches and loose rocks, there had been a fierce storm a few days earlier so the forest was in slight disarray.
After a while of walking they rounded a bend to the meadow James was looking for, they perched on a fallen pine for a rest.
James looked around, he was glad to be back amongst the trees, it had been a while, the forest was a place he felt very tranquil and content. Breathing in the rich smells of moss, dirt and conifer he turned and smiled at Lily. He loved the forest, but Lily still seemed to make it an even greater place.
“I’m quite peckish, shall we do lunch?” James asked.
“Oh yes, you brought tea as well didn’t you?”
He had, James had been to the bakery earlier that day to get some fresh rolls, and also the butchers for some good thick slices of ham. He was proud of the sandwiches and hoped Lily would enjoy them too.
Opening his satchel he pulled out the flask of tea and two plastic mugs and handed them to Lily, he then brought out the tin foil wrapped sandwiches and placed them on the fallen pine. They ate quietly, the silence only broken by a slurp of tea or a chattering robin in the high branches.
It had been James’ duty to bring the tea and sandwiches, Lily was the one to bring the cake. A homemade Victoria sponge she had baked the night before. Her mother was an avid baker and had taught her well, the cake was light and fluffy, the jam and icing not too rich as too make it overbearing.
After they had eaten, and drank the remainder of the tea, James fancied a cigarette. He always enjoyed one after eating. He asked Lily if she minded him having a smoke, she didn’t, so he rolled one and lit it. Drawing the smoke deep then exhaling, he felt very content.
The sun had disappeared behind a bank of clouds and showed no sign of returning again. They decided it was a good time to leave having thoroughly enjoyed the late morning walk. James had become even more enamoured with Lily in just this short time, to him she really was something special - a shining light in what had started to become a dark time for James - he could not wait for their next meeting.
After retracing their steps back to the carpark a light drizzle had broken out, small beads of moisture glistened on Lilys hair as they said their farewells. James however was not satisfied with a mere goodbye and - quite nervously - put his arms around her waist, pulled her in and kissed her. The kiss was soft but urgent, filled with his growing love and desire for her. When they parted Lilys eyes remained closed for a second, she then opened them and looked up at James, a wide smile spreading across her face.
“Goodbye James” she breathed.
“Goodbye Lily.”

© 2019 Ben


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on January 9, 2019
Last Updated on January 9, 2019
Tags: Romance, walk, autumn, forest, love, lust

Author

Ben
Ben

United Kingdom



Writing
The Wildebeest The Wildebeest

A Story by Ben