Computer Virus

Computer Virus

A Story by Jen

Sam lay on her bed, in the dark, listing to her ipod. It was one of the things that kept her calm, music pounding in her ears while here family fought. They would always fought, only when they don't talk to each other do they not fight. By now, Sam was use to hear the shouting, arguing, accusing, the words of hate that caused pain, it was almost like air for her. It hurt her, but that's why she listens to music, to forget everything. "Sam!" A muffled voice yelled. Sam didn't move, debating if she should respond or not. If she did, she would have to listen to the same old bullshit, if she didn't, she'd get in trouble and listen to the same old bullshit. She sighed, got up, and went downstairs to the living room. "Yes?" She asked, trying to keep any attitude out of her voice. Her family sat on the couch, all glaring at each other. Sam could only guess why she was asked to come, was she the negotiator, the side picker, or the witness. "Sam, you know how mom always plays on the computer, right?" asked her sister, Julie. "That's not true, Sam, I do other things, right? You've seen me, right?" Her mom argued. The witness. Sam hated being dragged into these fights. Unless San been in the fight from the beginning, she doesn't want to be dragged in.
"Mom, you do play on the computer a lot." Sam said, fearing the worst. Her mom glared at her, furious that she would go against her like that. "See, you do play a lot." Julie said. That was another thing Sam hated. They would listen to her when she was a side picker, or a witness and will always remembered what she said. She wondered how it would be if they listened to her as much as they did when she was a witness. Her mom said something, her dad augured if whatever she said, but Sam wasn't listing. She stopped listing to their cold words, and pointless arguments a long time ago.

Sam couldn't sleep. It could be because she was roasting under all her blankets, but it could also be because her family was still fighting. "Silent." She whispered. The voices got louder. She groaned, and got out of bed. Maybe they would shut up if she asked them to. She crept down the stairs, into the living room. Her dad notice her. "Can't sleep." Sam said. "Let's stop fighting, it's late, we should all get some sleep." her dad said. Julie seemed more then willing to listen, and ran upstairs into her room. Sam watched her dad slowly go up the stairs, sighing and mumbling something. Her mom got onto the computer. "Mom, dad said-" Sam started, but her mom interrupted her. "I know, Sam." Sam glared at her, her burning rage turned to ice. "Mom, you're always on the computer, always. What about us, you're family!" She didn't mean for her words to be so cold, but her anger muted her care for others.
Her mom didn't reply, ignoring her since she already had enough from her daughter and husband. "Mom." Sam whispered. The ice melted, and burned hotter then the fire in hell, then turned to ice again, a vicious cycle of hot and cold speed through Sam. Sam ran upstairs, nearly slipping on the stairs, and charged into her room. "Why, why, why?!" She mumbled. Tears threatened, and a scream built in her throat. "Why?" She choked, and fell in a restless sleep on the floor.

The next day, her mom got sick. Really sick, but she still tried playing on the computer. Another argument, which ended quickly because she started moaning from the pain. Her dad drove her to the hospital. "What do you think she has?" Julie asked. Sam shrugged and said, "I don't know. Maybe the Computer Virus." Julie got onto the computer and said, "Sam, I think only computers get computer virus." Sam shook her head, knowing her sister wouldn't see and said, "Not a computer virus, the Computer virus. Sucks your life away and in the end you have nothing. Mom has it, and you are infected. Dad resists, but for how long? Even I am getting infected. Soon, we will all pay the price for it."

© 2009 Jen


Author's Note

Jen
I know it's short, but I couldn't think of anything else to write. My family inspired me in this one, we have the Computer Virus. We also fight about it a lot too.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Jen, I have the computer virus too. I laughed at the end when Sam says that to her dad. I don't think it's short at all. I know in my family when I was growing up, the TV was the "computer". We only had one, it was black and white, and there was no cable but we still all tried to have control over it and fought over it especially as the kids hit the teenage years. I have been accused by my daughter of being on the computer too much and I know she is right. It's can be a great escape from daily life and it's seems we all have a voice here. God Bless and I look forward to reading more of your writing. Shelly

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 26, 2009

Author

Jen
Jen

About
I make Voodoo dolls, and do a bit of cartooning. I love writing, and many people comment on how well I make stories and poems. more..

Writing
Last Riddle Last Riddle

A Poem by Jen


Pinocchio Girl Pinocchio Girl

A Book by Jen