Creating The Keswicks

Creating The Keswicks

A Story by Bud R. Berkich
"

Rainbow Road, the replacement for the former fundamentalist town of Zeeland, is nearing completion. It will soon welcome the saints. But not if Sheriff Aleister Anderson has anything to say about it.

"

CHAPTER ONE:  AT PANDORA’S BOX



The touch base meeting between Sheriff Anderson, his Chief Deputy Sheriff Frank Southland and Chief of Detectives Matt Workman concluded at approximately a quarter to six. The trio all left the station at six o’clock.  Frank and Matt went directly home. But Aleister had other plans. 


Since it was Wednesday, Aleister knew that Pandora’s Box, the occult bookstore in Amnesty run by witch queens Charity Goode and Patience Smythe, would be open until nine o’clock. Pandora’s Box stayed open past its usual five o’clock closing time three days of the week. And Wednesday was one of those days. In addition, Aleister knew that the bookstore, besides having the best selection of occult, Wiccan and New Age titles in the state, also had an excellent local history section on Amnesty and the surrounding area. It was this section that Aleister wanted to pursue, in relation to a case in which his men and he were presently at work.

*****

“Excuse me, Charity. Charity?”


“Huh? Oh, I’m sorry. Hi, Brunhilde. How are you? Blessed Be.”


“Never been better, my dear. And a Blessed Be to you.”


Brunhilde Ingersoll was a ninety year-old Wiccan of Scandinavian descent.  An Amnesty elder, Brunhilde was the town’s leading authority on northern mythology and religion. She lived on the same block of Monolith Street as the Goodes, Smythes and Osbournes; next door to the Smythes, in a small cottage that once was a part of the Smythe property.


“This certainly is a fine day that the May Queen has provided us with, isn’t it, dear?”


“Yes, it is,” Charity said.


Charity Goode, thirty-six years old and an Amnesty witch queen, came from one of the three principal families of Amnesty. The other two, the Smythes and the Osbournes, were the families of Charity’s best friends, Patience and Pandora. Charity was a tall, attractive woman with long, straight strawberry blonde hair, bright green eyes and a freckled complexion. Divorced for approximately four years, Charity had one seventeen year old daughter, Guenevere. 


 “What can I help you with today, Brunhilde?”


“I’m in need of a new Tarot deck.”


“Sure.  What do you have now?”


“Crowley’s Thoth. I was looking for something a little more me, though.”


“You mean northern?”


“Yes, dear. More in tune with the old ways.”


The “old ways” Brunhilde referred to were the Norse myths and legends of her native Denmark.


“Sure,” Charity said. She slid open the counter door. “I think we have just the deck.” She reached into the shelves on which the Tarot decks were situated and selected a pack from the large selection. “Here. You’ll like this one. Major and MInor Arcana are based on themes from northern mythology. The Devil becomes Loki, Judgment becomes Ragnarök and so on.”


Brunhilde looked it over. “Sounds like me. I’ll take it.”


“Great.”


“Oh. And also, dear, do you have Heaney’s Beowulf?”


“Seamus Heaney?”


“Yes.”


“I believe so. Follow me.”


Although it was a small new and used bookstore that carried primarily Wiccan, occult and New Age titles and some Wiccan ritual paraphernalia, Pandora’s Box also sold new and classic literary fiction works, poetry, local history titles and local newspapers and magazines.


Charity led Brunhilde across the store to the poetry section as the doorbell made its familiar jingle, announcing the arrival of a customer. It was the Rockford County Sheriff, Aleister Anderson.


“Hey, Al,” Charity said. She waved to her former schoolmate and friend.


“Hey, Char,” Aleister said. “Is that Brunhilde over there?”


“It’s me, Aleister,” Brunhilde said. Aleister walked over and gave the old woman a hug.


“Good to see you,” Aleister said. “It’s been awhile.”


“Yes, it has,” Brunhilde said. “I remember when you used to come to court Pandora when you two were in high school.”


“Uh, huh,” Aleister said. “Those were good times.”


“Oh, they were.”


  Brunhilde studied the imposing man that towered over her. 


 “And look at you now. All grown up. And the county sheriff. And little Pan, the mayor of Amnesty. And your beautiful daughter, Connie. She has your good looks.”


“Yes, Connie is a--”


“But no longer with Pan. Never handfasted. And no longer a Wiccan.” A wry look. “Married.  To a Christian woman, I’ve heard.”


Aleister hesitated. Thankfully for him, he was rescued by another familiar voice.


“Why, look,” Patience Smythe said. She appeared from behind a bookshelf.  “It’s Sheriff Anderson. I thought that voice sounded familiar.”


Patience Smythe was also a witch queen like Charity, but was a few months younger. A stunning woman in terms of appearance, Patience was tall, slender, curvy and busty. She featured hazel eyes, high cheekbones and long, straight, frosted brown hair. Like Charity, Patience looked ten years younger than her age of thirty-six.


“Hey, Pat.”


“Hey, Al. So, what brings you here to our little establishment?”


“Business.”


Patience looked at her business partner. “All right, Char. What did you do this time?” She turned to Aleister. “Honestly? I don’t know what I’m gonna do with her. The girl just won’t stay outta trouble.”


Aleister grinned and looked at Charity. “Well, whatever it is, Char, you’re safe. At least, for now.”


“That’s good to know.” A look at Patience. “When you figure out what I’ve done, let me in on it.”


A bug-eyed stare at Patience. A smile.


“No, actually,” Aleister said, “I’m here to have a look at your local history section. It’s for a case I’m working on.”


“Sure,” Charity said.


  Patience nodded. “Look away. Sounds interesting.”


“Oh, it is,” Aleister said.


“Hi, Mr. Anderson,” Guenevere Goode and her best friend Yarra Smythe said. They had just returned to the sales floor after their dinner hour break.  Since the girls had known Aleister as the father of their best friend Connie since they were small children, they had earned the right to call the sheriff “Mr.”


“Hey, girls,” Aleister said.


“If our mothers did something,” Guen said, “just let Yarra and me know how long we have to run the store for.”


“Yeah,” Yarra said. “It is a school night.”


Guenevere Meredith Goode was seventeen years old and a junior at Amnesty HIgh School. “Guen,” as she was known, was a pretty Irish girl with her mother Charity’s strawberry blonde locks (curled, not straight like her mother’s) bright, alluring green eyes and freckles. Valedictorian of her class, Guen was a studious girl who desired to be an architect upon graduation and attend the Rhode Island School of Design.


Yarra Anjali Smythe had just turned seventeen by a matter of days. Six weeks younger than Guen, the girls were inseparable. Yarra featured styled, shoulder length black hair and large, dark brown eyes. Petite like Guen, Yarra was fuller chested and curvier than her friend. She was known as a perpetually upbeat girl. She played electric bass in Glamourama, a band featuring Guen as lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist and Aleister’s daughter Constance (“Connie”) on lead guitar. Yarra desired to be a studio engineer and session musician like her father, Chalavera “Chevy” Patel-Smythe.


“Your mothers are beyond reproach, as usual, girls,” Aleister said.


“Damn,” Yarra said. “BOR-ing!”


“Yeah, that’s us,” Patience said. “Why don’t you make yourself useful and direct the sheriff to the local history section. Help him to find what he’s looking for.”


“I can do that.”


“Thanks. Guen, man the register.”


“Can I woman the register?”


“Be my guest. But whatever you do, make sure you check the special orders and holds shelf, and pull anything over a month old for special orders and five days for holds. And check the computer to see if any email orders came in.”


“I’m on it.”


“Good girl.”


When Yarra had assisted the sheriff with the topic that he was interested in, he migrated over to a reading table nearby.


“Anything else?” Yarra called after him.


“No, that should do it. I’m going over to this table here and take a look at these.”


“Cool beans. I’ll be around, if you need me.”


“Thanks. Oh, and happy seventeenth birthday, by the way. I’m sorry that I didn’t make the party.”


“That’s fine. Thanks, Mr. Anderson. It was really nice.”


“Connie was there, right?”


“Of course. I would have been sad if she wasn’t.”


Aleister nodded. “And you got your driver’s license?”


“I did,” Yarra said. Suddenly, a thought came to mind. “So, now Connie, Guen and I all can drive.” A wicked grin. “Whatever will you do?”


“I’ll be sure and inform the men at the next morning briefing that there is now terror on the streets of Rockford County,” Aleister said.


Yarra giggled and walked back towards the register, where Guen was busy checking holds and special orders.


Aleister reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. He fished around in it for a few seconds and pulled out some money.


“Yarra, come back a second.”


Yarra turned around and walked back to the sheriff. “Yes, Mr. Anderson?”


Aleister discreetly handed Yarra a fifty dollar bill. “Here, this is for you.  Happy seventeenth birthday.”


Yarra beamed and gave the sheriff a hug.  


“Thanks, Mr. Anderson.”


“You’re welcome, Yarra.  Anytime."



CHAPTER TWO:  DISPATCH



When Aleister left Pandora’s Box at nine o’clock, he turned on his police radio, to see if anything interesting or pressing was going on around Rockford County. Within a few seconds, an unfamiliar dispatch voice invaded the static. It was overcome by even more prevailing static.


“...suspicious activity… Rainbow Road… request back-up…”


The voice was a male voice, not familiar to Aleister. This was interesting in itself, but proved even more so when Aleister considered the fact that the dispatcher on for the evening was a female deputy.


“Huh?” Aleister said. He grabbed the talkie off of the citizen band and spoke into it. “State the nature of the request, dispatch. What--”


Any further response was futile, as the radio became a hiss of loud static.


“Over? Over?” Aleister said. But to no avail. “Damn.” The sheriff threw down the speaker in disgust. With a loud sigh, he turned on his siren lights and was off down Amnesty’s Main Street at a brisk but controlled pace.

*****

Rainbow Road was located off of Canal Road, on the outskirts of the former Zeeland. It was a long, connecting road that was part of an office park. The road featured several large office buildings on its left hand side (entering the road from Canal Road), and wide open fields on its right. At the entrance to Rainbow Road on the right side was a fairly large, modern house with a beach house motif, of sorts. It overlooked the canal and river on the other side of Canal Road. The house was the once former home of Zeeland pastor Stephen Noland III. It was here that the DiAmicci Murder Case came to an end, when Aleister and his men found the Angels of Death Logbook in a trunk in Noland’s attic, and subsequently arrested the pastor on charges of witholding evidence in a murder investigation, interfering with a police investigation and accessory to murder charges.  The murder of eighteen year-old Allegra DiAmicci and her two friends Vanessa Sanchez and Rosa Conception on their prom night ninety years before at the hands of the religious fanatic Ida T. Black and her henchmen, known as the Angels of Death was a blemish on Amnesty’s long history that could never be erased and would never be forgotten.


Aleister quickly made his way out of Amnesty to where Main Street turned into the Amnesty Causeway, just past the town gate. At the end of the causeway Aleister turned right onto Amnesty Road where, to the right, the clearing off of Cemetery Way and Woods Edge Drive (behind the Goode house) could be seen giving way to the Amnesty Woods. The woods eventually thinned out and gave way to the Amnesty River, which made its way underneath the Amnesty River Bridge and flowed on to the Amnesty Reservoir, some thousand feet past the bridge. Aleister crossed the small Amnesty River Bridge where, if one now looked to the right, he or she could see the sloped bank leading up to the abandoned Zeeland, which  became visible in the distance behind a small strip of trees. Aleister passed the point where the canal path intersected Amnesty Road, right after the bridge, to a second small bridge that transversed the canal itself. This was a sleepy, rural area, so there were hardly any cars hindering Aleister’s brisk progress. Aleister made a right onto Canal Road after the canal bridge, and headed towards Zeeland. He made short work of the quarter mile to Rainbow Road, on the left hand side of the road.


When Aleister entered Rainbow Road, he was confronted with several surprises. The first was the fact that the former home of Pastor Noland, emptied shortly after his arrest and conviction, was now apparently occupied. There were a couple of cars in the long driveway, and the lights were on downstairs. But the sheriff would be hard pressed to determine what was more of a shock, the fact that someone was living in the Noland residence, or what was manifested just past the residence, in what used to be wide open flatland. For now, the open land was occupied by four imposing modern structures, in various stages of construction. The structure closest to the road was completely finished and featured a large cross on the roof. It was obviously some sort of church. But the building, which stretched itself at least one-hundred feet and contained three floors, obviously housed much more than just a place of worship.


“What the hell--”


Aleister stopped in front of the structures and stared at the sign out front.


RAINBOW ROAD CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY, CHAPEL AND SCHOOLS


Without warning, the dispatch radio in Aleister’s car, up to this point a low, steady barrage of static, suddenly exploded into loud lucidity:


“Suspicious activity. It’s starting again, sheriff. Look!”


Aleister visibly jumped from the unexpected nature of the announcement.


“Hello? Hello? Over?”  Aleister said. But he was answered with nothing but the vacant-charged hiss of white noise.



CHAPTER THREE:  RAINBOW ROAD



“It’s starting again.”


Those three mysterious words, no longer so mysterious. For now, Aleister knew what was meant.


Another Zeeland.


Aleister wrote down the name and address of the Rainbow Road Christian Community, Chapel and Schools. He also got one of the license plate numbers on a car parked in the driveway of the former Noland residence.  When he went back to his SUV, Aleister was not surprised to find that his police band radio was now working fine.


“Sheriff Anderson. Check requested on the following plate number. Alpha, Delta, Charlie 7-5-2, New Hampshire plates.”


“Please hold, sheriff.”


A few minutes later, the female dispatch deputy returned to the airwaves.  “Sheriff Anderson, that car is registered to a Mrs. Sandra Stryker of 1023 Rainbow Road, Rockford Township. No violations, priors or warrants.”


“And that’s Sandra Striker, i-k-e-r?”


“No, sheriff. It’s Stryker, y-k-e-r.”


“Alright, deputy, thanks. Out.”


Stryker. The name did not ring a bell. It definitely was not Noland or his wife. But Aleister would find out. That would be a certainty. Aleister sat and stared at the sign in front of the church. One very small part of the sign particularly bothered the sheriff. The comma. Rainbow Road Christian Community, Chapel and Schools. He was sure that it was not in error. The use of the comma after the word “Community” made it perfectly clear that it was not merely a new church that was spoken of, but a new community. A new Christian community that also contained a chapel and a school.


Just like Zeeland.


With one last look, Aleister executed a u-turn in the middle of Rainbow Road and headed back to Canal Road. A left would take Aleister past Zeeland and eventually to the I-93 exit to get back to Derry, his place of residence. But the sheriff instinctively made a right turn, back the way he had came. Back towards the town in which he was born and raised.


Back towards Amnesty.



CHAPTER FOUR:  AT THE OSBOURNES’ 



And where, exactly, was Sheriff Anderson planning on going once he reached Amnesty? To pay a visit to the mayor’s house.


At the sound of the incessant knock, Pandora Osbourne went to the front door and turned on her front porch light. The father of her daughter Constance stood there.


“Al?” Pandora said. She opened the door. “You know, there’s this great invention that everyone’s using in Amnesty and large areas of the United States. It’s called a doorbell. You should really try it sometime. Not to mention that other invention, the cell phone. It allows you to call and warn someone before you decide to just show up on their doorstep at ten o’clock in the evening.”


Pandora Osbourne was an alluring woman with long platinum blonde hair and light brown eyes. Not quite as tall as Charity and Patience, Pandora’s tanned body was thin and busty. More assertive and outspoken than Charity and Patience, Pandora had been the mayor of Amnesty for the past seven years, ever since she had become a witch queen at age thirty.


“Sorry, Pan,” Aleister said. He threw up a palm of surrender. The sheriff had not come to the Osbourne residence at ten o’clock at night to argue, but he knew that this was always a possibility, based on the history of Pandora’s and his volatile relationship through the years. Both Aleister and Pandora would always implicitly care for each other; growing up together, being high school sweethearts, having a child together and living together but, the assertive personalities of both reached that common ground through conflict. “I just wanted to get your attention.”


“Well, you got it. They probably also got that impression across town in the Catholic Quarter,” Pandora said. This was a reference to the northern sector of Amnesty that was predominantly Roman Catholic. “It is a school night, Al. Do you want to wake Connie up?”


“Connie’s in bed?”


“Actually, she’s at The Coven, flirting with older guys.”


An off-center look from the sheriff.


“See? You actually believed that. Speaks lines.”


“Pan, I--”


“So, what are you here for, Al? Aren’t you supposed to have a wife or something at home, waiting?”


“You mean Connie’s step-mom?” Aleister said. “And you know perfectly well what her--”


A glance at the books and files Aleister had under his arm. “What’s all that?”


This well-placed non sequitur by Pandora halted the sheriff dead in his tracks and forced him to switch trains of thought. For lack of anything better to offer, Aleister sighed deeply.


“We’ve gotta talk.”


A shrug and slight trace of a look at the sheriff, reminiscent of the way an empathetic person would look at an injured animal.


“Well, come in, if you’re coming.”

*****

The sheriff spent the better part of the next two hours going over everything that he had found out and experienced with the Rainbow Road Christian Community thus far. When Aleister had concluded, the Amnesty mayor was shocked, to say the least.

“So, wait,” Pandora said. “You’re--”


But Pandora never got to finish her thought. For at that very moment, a sleepy looking Constance Osbourne made her way down the steps and into the living room.


“I thought I heard you down here.” She said.


“Hey, Connie.”


“What are you doing up, girlfriend?” Pandora asked. “It’s after twelve o’clock in the morning.”


“You woke me up. You guys make enough noise to wake the dead.”


Constance “Connie” Osbourne was seventeen years old (eight and nine months older than Guen and Yarra, respectively) and a senior at Amnesty High School. Connie was a very pretty girl with jet black, styled shoulder-length hair and large, dark blue eyes. A few inches taller than Guen and Yarra, Connie was thin and busty, like her mother. Not as assertive as Pandora, Connie was known to possess a dark, cynical demeanor filled with a sharp wit that sometimes bordered on the morbid.  This wit was useful to Connie in her writing endeavors, in which she excelled. Connie was often published in The Black Cat school literary journal and was the main lyricist for Glamourama. Boasting a high IQ, Connie was valedictorian of her class and would be attending Rockford University in the fall, where she would major in English and Creative Writing, with a view to becoming a fiction writer upon graduation.


Aleister just grinned. “Sorry we woke you, Connie.”


“Think nothing of it, dad,” Connie said. She looked at her parents. “So, why are you here this late? You two getting back together or something? A chuckle. “Maybe you’ll actually get handfasted this time and make it official. Does Rachel know?” 


Rachel, Aleister’s wife.


“Connie!” It was Pandora. Aleister could only chuckle back, not knowing how to respond. In truth, he was silently grateful that Pandora spoke first.


“Well, I don’t know,” Connie said. “It’s hard enough to get the sheriff here during normal hours, let alone at twelve whatever it is in the morning.” A loaded smile at Aleister.


“Connie, all you have to do is call me,” Aleister said. “You know that, right?”


“Uh, huh. Got it, dad.”


Silence.


“Well, alrightie, then. If no one wants to fill me in on this little get together, then I’m getting a nice, tall glass of chocolate milk and going back to bed.”


“See ya in the morning, honey,” Pandora said.


“Good night, Connie,” Aleister said.


Connie began to make her way to the kitchen, then suddenly turned around. “Oh, by the way, dad. I’m graduating next week.”


“I know, Connie,” Aleister said. “And I’m very proud of you.”


“You coming?”


“Definitely.”


“Awesome.  Good night.”


“Good night, Connie.”


When Connie had left, Aleister and Pandora looked at each other and shared a laugh.


“Seriously, though,” Pandora said. “If you let her down next week, I’ll kill you. So, don’t let her down. OK?”


Aleister shook his head vigorously. “Pan, I’m not going to let her down.  I’m not going to miss my daughter’s graduation.”


Aleister and Connie’s relationship, which was rather strained during the time of the Girls in White Dresses investigation a year before had, in the past twelve months, improved immensely. There was a firm foundation of trust between father and daughter once again.


“All right.” A sigh. “So, what about this Rainbow Road thing? What are you gonna do? What do you want me to do?”


“Well, for right now,” Aleister said, “I just want you to be aware of all of this and to be ready.”


“Ready? Ready for what?”


“To help me infiltrate the Rainbow Road community, if necessary,” Aleister said.


“What did you have in mind?”


Aleister shook his head. “I don’t really know, yet, Pan. It’s too early yet.  Give me a couple of days to formulate a plan, but be ready.”


“OK.”


Aleister checked his watch. “I think I better be getting outta here. At least, I don’t have to go in early tomorrow. But Rachel is still gonna kill me.”


A wry grin from Pandora. “I would,” she said.



CHAPTER FIVE:  BRAINSTORMING



The next afternoon, Aleister began an intensive investigation of the Rainbow Road Community, Church and Schools.  The primary focus for the sheriff concerning the potentially dangerous new establishment was its head pastor, Robert T. Stryker IV.


Even before he had any concrete evidence that linked the head pastor of Rainbow Road with Zeeland, Aleister could almost guess with absolute certainty that Stryker had something to do with the now defunct fundamentalist Christian stronghold, based on the roman numeral after his name.  Of course, this practice (of having more than one son of the same name in a given family) seemed to be par for the course among Zeeland males.  The Nolands were also branded in this fashion.


But what was the connection between Stryker and Zeeland?  Did he, in fact, ever reside there or attend school there?  Or, was he one of Zeeland’s clergy?  There was no listing of any Strykers on the resident list that Aleister and his men complied when they sheriffed out the remaining inhabitants of the town, after the arrest and conviction of Pastor Noland.  So, at least it was apparent that Stryker was not living at Zeeland at that time.


A background check on the pastor revealed that he also had a clean criminal record, like his wife.  It also listed Noland’s former residence on Rainbow Road as Stryker’s current residence.  When Aleister cross-referenced these facts, it was discovered that Stryker had lived in the former Noland residence for a period of six months, since somewhere around Thanksgiving.  Of course, the sheriff took note of the fact that this was approximately two months after Noland’s conviction.  But the question remained:  who was Stryker?  This is what Aleister found out:


Robert T. Stryker was born and raised in Zeeland.  He had attended both Zeeland Elementary and Zeeland Preparatory.  He also graduated from Zeeland Bible Seminary with an Associates degree in Biblical Studies and a preaching license.  His first pastoral assignment with Zeeland was with a local quasi-militaristic, salvationalist organization known as the King’s Regiment.  Stryker now, almost thirty years later, was a captain in the regiment.  Hence, Stryker’s outfit that resembled a police officer or military official.  At various times, Stryker was also listed on the faculty of Zeeland Bible Seminary.   He taught a variety of courses:  Introduction to Bible, Biblical Studies, Homiletics, Hermeneutics, public speaking and various English courses.  Stryker was also an English teacher at Zeeland Prep.  (It was interesting to Aleister that in addition to his A.A. in Biblical Studies, Stryker had also attended Rockford University and had received a B.A. in English.)  Apparently, just before Noland’s arrest, Stryker was acting Director of Admissions for the seminary.


But why was he not present when Aleister and his men were required by the court to get everyone out of Zeeland, after Noland’s conviction and the town’s declaration of bankruptcy?


Because he was already gone, Aleister thought to himself.  The conclusion that Aleister had reached was that apparently, Stryker was present in Zeeland up to the time of Noland’s arrest, and had probably left sometime shortly thereafter, most likely at the request of Noland himself.  Why?  Aleister’s theory was because it was evident to the upper echelon at Zeeland that the town was not to survive the scandal that was going to rock its very foundations, as a result of Pastor Noland’s arrest and conviction, and the secrets that the community harbored.  So, to keep Zeeland in existence, the echelon entrusted Stryker with the responsibility to strike out on his own and attempt to create a new Zeeland.


Another thought entered Aleister’s mind.  What if the reason that Zeeland went bankrupt was a direct result of Stryker’s mission?  In other words, was it possible that the pastor was given a large sum of money by Zeeland to carry out their desire for continuance, and that this large sum spelled the financial destruction of the fundamentalist stronghold?  It was a distinct possibility, Aleister surmised.  But could it be proved?  If one were able to get their hands on the business account ledgers at Rainbow Road, the sheriff theorized, then it might be seen that a substantial amount of money was involved.  But a better objective would most likely be to examine the ledgers from Zeeland as well.  If a very large amount of funding was recorded to suddenly leave Zeeland’s account in correlation with the time frame of the Noland arrest and conviction-- and that amount matched the starting amount in the Rainbow Road ledger-- then Aleister’s theory would most likely be a concrete fact.


But how could this information be attained?  And in what format was the information recorded?  Physical hard copy, or was it in electronic format on a flash drive or computer hard drive somewhere?  And where was this information kept?  At the church office, the school office, or at the Stryker residence?  It would be best if there was someone who worked from the inside, who knew exactly where the ledgers were kept and in what format, and could get the information needed quickly and discreetly.  But, of course, Aleister knew no one at the new community, and would most likely not trust them anyway.  One idea that Aleister had was to get someone with a business background that he did trust, like his secretary Cindy or Pandora, to somehow get inside and access the ledgers.  But, it would be difficult to get a situation where someone like Cindy or Pandora would have the time needed to gain access.  It might take days or even weeks.  And neither woman could be away from her regular career for that long.  Furthermore, Stryker was not exactly in the market for a bookkeeper or office assistant.  And even if he was, he would most likely hire from inside Rainbow Road.  Someone of the fundamentalist persuasion would not take a chance with an “outsider” who was “in the world,” so to speak.


Aleister kept these thoughts and ideas on the back burner.  But, in the meantime, the sheriff had a plan to infiltrate Rainbow Road.  And it was now time to put that plan into action.



CHAPTER SIX-- A FAMILY ARRANGEMENT



“How would you feel about paying a visit to Zeeland tomorrow?”  Aleister asked Pandora.


The scene was the living room of the Osbourne residence, fairly late evening.  Constance was also present.


“Both of us?”


“All three of us,” Aleister said.  “Including Guen and also Yarra, if possible.”


“What about Charity and Patience?”


Aleister shook his head.  “Not for this trip.  We need a family arrangement.  They just wouldn’t fit in.”


“'A family arrangement,'” Constance said.   She looked at her mother with a grin. “Did you hear that, mom? Dad's proposing a 'family arrangement.'”  This last remark was made by Connie with the index and middle fingers of both hands indicating quotation marks.


 Although things were much better between Aleister and Constance these days, it was not beyond Connie, when the opportunity presented itself, to remind her father of those times when things were not. In truth, most of this was in good fun and was a by-product of Connie's overall cynical demeanor, although a portion of it was meant to make a statement. And Aleister was definitely listening.


 “I think that's what I heard, dear.” Pandora said.  She looked at Aleister. “I think.” 


“Let me explain.”


 “Please do.” 


“This oughta be good.” Constance said.


 For the next few minutes, Aleister mapped out his plan. Pandora and he would pretend to be a married Christian couple, new to the area. They would go to Rainbow Road tomorrow, with the intention of possibly enrolling their three daughters; Constance, Guenevere and Yarra, in the Rainbow Road Christian high school.


 “I have a question,” Constance said.


 “Shoot.” 


“Well, I can understand Guen going over there with us. Makes it look more like a family situation. And, of course, I can understand why you'd want me, your adoring daughter.”


 Aleister laughed. “Of course.”


 “But I don't get Yarra. I mean, she's half Indian. Won't she stick out like a sore thumb? How are you gonna pull that one off?”


 “Those are very good questions, Connie. And actually, you've answered the first question yourself.”


 “Really? Do tell.”


 “Well, the reason I want Yarra along is because she does stand out like a sore thumb, although I think her sweet. I want to play around with the possibility that the Rainbow Road Community won't. I want to see if I can detect any latent ethnic hostilities present with Stryker and his staff. In short, I want Yarra along to gauge a reaction. Remember, Stryker is Zeeland born and raised. Most likely, so is his staff. A lion doesn't stop being a lion when you take him out of Africa and put him in The Bronx Zoo.”


 “Good one,” Constance said.


“Glad you approve, Connie,” Aleister said. “And how am I going to pull it off? Well, we'll just say that Yarra is adopted.”


 “Clever.” It was Pandora.


"This is weer-ird!" Constance said.  She shook her head with an incredulous look.


 "What's weird, Connie?" Aleister asked. 


"I thought I just graduated high school. Now I'm going back. Thanks a lot, dad." 


This amused both Aleister and Pandora. When the laughter died down, Pandora sported a serious look. 


“Do you really think we can be convincing? I mean, we are Wiccan, not Christian. A satanic look. "Well, Connie and I still are, anyway."


 A slight frown from Aleister. 


"We know the basic tenets of Christianity, but that doesn't mean fundamentalist Christians are going to buy an act we put on.”


 “Well, I realize that, Pan. So, that's why I called my wife earlier and asked her how we should conduct ourselves around these people.”


 “Oh, I forgot,” Pandora said.  “Your wife is a fundamentalist Christian.”


 “No, Pan,” Aleister said.  “Rachel is not a fundamentalist Christian. A Christian, yes, but not a fundamentalist. Not anymore.  She was brought up in that belief system, however, so she knows the ropes.”


 “So, what does she recommend?”


 “Well, first, she said that the most important thing to these people is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. We have to acknowledge that we have that. So, talk about Christ saving  you and that you're “in” Christ. Also, talk about the Holy Spirit a lot.”


 “In what way?”


 “She said that they believe that the Holy Spirit indwells the believer. So, if they ask, say stuff like you have the Spirit dwelling inside you and that you're “in” the Spirit. They might also ask what gifts of the Spirit you have.” 


“Yeah?”


 “You can say that you are not sure, but you're asking God to show you. If they get specific, probably the safest thing to say is that you have the gift of prayer or witnessing to others about Christ.”


 “Oh, please,” Constance said.


“Connie,” Pandora said.  “We have to do this, alright? I don't like it any better than you do, but we have to.” 


“Whatever.”


 Pandora turned back to Aleister. “OK. What else?”


 “Remember that these people believe the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God. To them, nothing doesn't make sense or is in error. So, make sure that you acknowledge it as such.”


 “Do we have to quote scripture or something?”


 “That would help, but there's not enough time to learn all that. We'll just pretend that we're new Christians and haven't really read the Bible that much.” 


Constance grinned. “Tabla rasa that they can shape into their own image?” She asked.


 “Something like that. Anyway. We believe in a literal Heaven and Hell. We also believe in sin and judgment. We don't believe in Evolution.”


 “I do.” 


“Connie--” 


“Where did I get such a cynical daughter?”


 “She takes after your former self, Aleister,” Pandora said.


 “Hmmm. I guess.” 


“So, what else?” “Let's see...oh, yeah.” Aleister couldn't help but chuckle. “Sex is not for pleasure. It's only for the propagation of the species.” 


“Well, then, I guess I've been greatly deluded,” Pandora said. “I guess I'm damned.”


 Aleister looked at Pandora. “And sex outside of marriage is a no-no.” 


Piercing laughter by Connie.


 “See ya in hell, you two.” 


“Is that all?” Pandora asked. She was growing tired of these endless rules and regulations that in Wicca were considered non-relevant to spirituality. They just seemed to bind people with chains, she felt. 


“Just watch what you say around these people.” 


At this point, both Aleister and Pandora looked at Constance. “What? Don't look at me.”

 Aleister looked at Pandora before both burst into uncontrollable laughter. 


“Are we done yet?”


 “Yes, I think we are,” Aleister said.  He glanced at his watch. "I gotta get going." It was then that Aleister remembered something. “Wait. There is one more thing.  Dress conservatively.  No skintight or shiny jeans and leggings, no low riders, no revealing tops or high heels.  Also, no make-up." 


Pandora and Constance exchanged glances. 


“Huh?”


 "Wha--?"


 “I'm serious,” Aleister said.  “These people don't go in for those things.”


 “Why don't we just go naked?” Constance asked. 


“Look, you guys. I don't have a problem with the way you dress. It's perfectly normal, harmless attire everywhere but in these kinds of places. These people do not like the flesh being venerated and displayed. To them, it's prideful and a sin. So, if we're gonna fit in over there, we have to take care of every detail.”


 “Alright. We'll be loose and baggy, I guess. Unfeminine.” 


“Thank you. And make sure that Guen and Yarra knows what not to wear, as well.” 


Pandora nodded.


 “Oh, and dad?”


 “Yes, Connie?”


 “What about Yarra's nose ring? I suppose that's too showy, or whatever?” 


Yarra wore a small nose ring in her right nostril. 


"Is it removable?"


 "Uh, huh."


 Aleister was about to say that the ring would have to be removed, then changed his mind. “The hell with it. They're just going to have to like it or be damned. If they say anything, just say that she got pierced when she was still a Hindu in India. That should work.”


 “Great. I'm glad Yarra's not going to hell." Constance said.  She yawned and  checked her watch.  It was ten o'clock. "Can I go to bed now?”


 “Yes. It would be well advised.” 


“Good night, mom.” Constance gave her mother a hug and kiss.  She looked at Aleister. “Sheriff--” 


“Connie...”


 Constance grinned. “Dad. Sheriff dad.” 


“Don't I get a hug at least?” 


Constance rolled her eyes. “Whatever.” 


Constance walked over and accommodated her father, who saw his chance and planted a quick kiss on his daughter's cheek.


 “Hey, watch it, Sheriff Anderson,” Constance said. “Or I'll have to bring you up on charges.”


 “You would, wouldn't you?” 


Constance just grinned. “Good night, you guys.”


 When Constance had left for bed, Pandora turned to Aleister. “So, what time do we do this tomorrow?” 


“How's around one sound? I need sleep, and I'm sure you do, too. I've already let Frank know that I wouldn't be in tomorrow-- or, at least, not until late afternoon-- and the reason why.” 


Pandora nodded. "Let me text Charity and Patience now to let them know that we're in need of their daughters, tomorrow. I'll try to get one of them to call me, so that I can explain what's going on." 


Of course, Pandora decided to text her fellow witch queens because, although most likely both were still up, it was fairly late, and they had to be at Pandora's Box the next morning.  Fortunately, both were still up, and both called back.  Pandora, via conference call, was able to discuss with Charity and Patience the details and nuances that would be in effect for Guen and Yarra the next day.  Aleister also joined in on the conversation when needed. When everyone had hung up twenty minutes later, Aleister turned to Pandora. 


“Alright. Very good. So, I'll be over here at one.” 


“See ya then, sheriff.”



CHAPTER SEVEN:  GETTING ON THE SAME PAGE



Mrs. Anderson made Aleister a quick lunch before he left the house at around twelve-thirty, bound for Amnesty, about ten miles away. He left his cruiser in his driveway and drove the family SUV, part of his plan to appear as the typical Christian father and not as a law enforcement official. Plus, it had more room for five than Pandora's Mercedes. Aleister arrived at Pandora's house at a quarter to one. 


“You're early,” Constance said. The younger Osbourne nonchalantly turned away and left her father to enter the house himself.


 “Who is it, Con?” Pandora called out. 


“No one.  Just Sheriff Anderson.  In civilian garb, I might add.”


 “And look at you,” Aleister said.  “Oversized T-shirt and sweatpants.  And no boots or heels.  Are those sneakers?” 


“I wear this stuff when I'm going to bed,” Constance said, “not when I'm up.”


 “I think you look cute, Connie,” Aleister said. 


“Thanks a lot, dad,” Constance said. She rolled her eyes.  “I guess.  Dads would think this stuff is cute.  Boyfriends wouldn't.”


 “Well, you can't please everybody,” Aleister said. “Just so fundamentalist Christians aren't put off by it.”


 “Yeah, like I ca-re,” Constance said.


 It was at this time that Pandora came into the living room.  Like her daughter, Pandora was totally conservative in her attire and without make-up.  But even so, she was still very attractive. 


“There you are.  The person responsible for all this monotony.”


 “You look good.”


 “I look boring.  But thanks, anyway.” 


“Where we're going, boring is good.  You'll fit right in.” 


There was a ringing of the door chimes. 


“That must be Guen and Yarra,” Pandora said. “Go let them in, Con.” 

Constance got up and went to the door. As Pandora predicted, Guen and Yarra were standing on the porch, in conservative dress.


 “What's up, witches?” Constance said to her friends with a grin. “You're looking very fundamentalist today.”


 “Look who's talking,” Yarra said in rebuttal.


 “Yeah,” Constance shrugged. “It seems to be going around. It's got mom, too. Even dad is out of uniform.”


 “Hey, girls,” Pandora said to Guen and Yarra in greeting. “Come on in.” 


“Hi, guys,” Aleister said to the girls with a smile. “Are you all ready to play my Christian daughters, today?”


 “We're ready, Mr. Anderson,” Guen said.


 “You're my daughter, Guen. Remember?”


 “Oh, yeah,” Guen said. “I mean, dad.”


 “Good. Now before we go, let's make sure we're all on the same page.” 


Aleister spent the next few minutes briefing everyone on the finer points of Christian doctrine, as well as going over the scenario that they would present to the residents of Rainbow Road. A Christian family, new to the faith. Also new to the area. Looking for a good Christian education for their daughters. The sheriff was also prepared with a fake home phone number and home address, which he handed to each member of his “family.” The address was to his wife's parents' house outside of Nashua. The phone number was one set up by the sheriff's department for these types of situations. Aleister also instructed Pandora to modify her voice mail message on her cell phone, if need be, and to give Rainbow Road her phone number as a contact, if necessary. 


“I'm not giving my cell number to these people,” Constance said firmly. 


“No need, Connie. The same goes for you guys, too,” Aleister said to Guen and Yarra. 


“So, who are we?” Constance wanted to know. “What's our names?”


 “You can all use your first names,” Aleister said. “I don't see a problem with that. But to be on the safe side, I think that we don't want to be known as the Andersons or Osbournes, or even as the Goodes or Smythes, for that matter. So, I thought that maybe my wife's maiden name would work.” 


“Which is?” Pandora asked. 


“Keswick.” 


“Keswick?”


 “Yes, Keswick. It's English.” 


“You sure your wife isn't of Wiccan descent? Her name sounds more Wiccan than Christian.” 


“She's definitely not Wiccan,” Aleister said in defense of his wife. “But, she's definitely not opposed to it, either. After all, she married a former one, didn't she?” 


Pandora smiled. “Once a Wiccan, always a Wiccan. That's what I say.”


 “Well, maybe so, Pan. But for the next few hours, that statement will be devoid of truth. Is everyone ready to do this?”


 “Ready,” was the general response. “Any last questions? No? Well then, ladies, after you.”



CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR -- ARRIVAL



 When the Keswicks had arrived at the Rainbow Road Community, Church and Schools, Aleister pulled his SUV into a parking lot that sat in front of one of four large, modern looking buildings.  According to the signs placed in front of the buildings, one housed the church, dining and housing facilities; another the elementary and junior high school; the third, the high school; and the fourth, the seminary and administrative offices.  The school buildings looked basically deserted, most likely because the schools, either recently or mostly completed, would not be ready for students until the fall.  Aleister chose to park in front of the church.  There were a few cars in this parking lot, which indicated that someone was present. 


“There's your new school, girls,” Aleister said with a sly smile and pointed to the school building in the distance. The sign in front of the high school read Rainbow Road Community Preparatory School. 


In truth, it was this school, the Rainbow Road equivalent of a high school, in which Mr. and Mrs. Keswick would be inquiring about, concerning their daughters' Christian education. And yes, it was a preparatory school, but not in the normal sense of a Phillips Exeter or a Hotchkiss, which prepared students for an Ivy League education. The Rainbow Road Community Preparatory School was designed to prepare its students as Christians in what Rainbow Road would term as a “non-Christian world.” This could be concerning the world of work outside of Rainbow Road, or it could mean admittance to a Christian college or university. For some students who were going to be attending secular institutions of higher education, the prep school was to make sure that they stayed Christian in the midst of the “divers temptations” experienced at a non-Christian college.


 “You're not serious, are you?” Constance said. “That place looks as dead as a door nail. Any students going there would have to be nerds and dorks." She sighed and shook her head. "I'm sure there's no cute guys at this place.” 


While Constance was commenting on the unlikely chance of meeting a boyfriend at Rainbow Road Community Prep, Guen's attention was otherwise diverted. For some reason, Guen's eyes were drawn upward to the top floor of the very large building that sat directly in front of Aleister's vehicle. Her keen sight noticed what appeared to be a very old woman with shoulder-length, shocked hair of a silvery hue, peering down at the Keswick SUV from behind the window curtain. A chill traveled down Guen's spine, as it seemed that the woman was looking directly at her. 


When the laughter had died down after Constance's statement, Pandora turned to Aleister.


 “Let's go inquire about our daughters' Christian education, Mr. Keswick.” 


Aleister had made a point of parking the SUV as close as possible to the chapel building. He nodded. “Let's get inside, so that we get the hell outta here sooner.” 


As Guen made her way out of the SUV and into the chapel building with the others, something inside her told her to look up a second time, in the direction of the top floor window. There was the same ancient woman Guen had seen before, peering down at the group and appearing to be looking directly at her. But this time was different. 


For standing behind the old woman and looking over her shoulder was a second woman. 


This woman, most likely still a teenager, could have been no more than eighteen or nineteen. She was dressed in a very revealing white gown, but it was not the same dress that the young woman had worn when Guen had last seen her, a year ago. Unlike that dress, this dress shimmered a radiant glow, which was bordered by a bright bluish aura that surrounded the young woman's entire body. She had a beautiful mane of curly black hair that complimented perfectly her pretty face, no longer chalky white, like before. 


Both women were watching. And smiling. 


Guen looked away. And remained silent.



CHAPTER TWENTY- FIVE -- STRYKER



 No one in the Keswick family spoke as they made their way towards the huge double doors that led into the chapel, dining hall and housing building. Each was deep within his or her own thoughts. Pandora led the way to the entrance, with Constance close at her heels. Guen and Yarra were next, with Aleister bringing up the rear. 


All four buildings that comprised the Rainbow Road Community, Church and Schools were of identical design and color. The only difference was in the amount of floors each building contained and overall size (anywhere from five to ten-thousand square feet). Whereas building one (the building that the Keswicks were entering) featured three floors, a building like building four (the seminary building) only contained two. Each building's facade was that of polished, large brick of a brownish hue that alternated with a strip of yellowish tile that comprised the division points between floors. The structures' were mostly rectangular, with the top of each end set at a forty-five degree angle. For someone like Aleister, who was expecting more of the traditionalist design of the Zeeland campus, the contemporary look of Rainbow Road was definitely a switch. 


“Hello, there. God bless you,” said a male voice from in front of the large office down the hall.


 “Yes, hello,” Pandora said with a smile. “God bless you, too.” 


The man made his way down to the Keswicks. He was of average height, somewhere in his early fifties, although his whitish-gray hair made him look much older. He had a soft features face, a little too soft for Aleister's taste, who thought the man effeminate. Not that Aleister was accusing the man of being a homosexual. And although that would not have came as a surprise, it would also not have bothered Aleister in the least. No. What Aleister was thinking when he looked at the man was that he had never done any real work in his life, but was a busy body just the same. The man wore fairly large, steel rimmed glasses. He had on a bluish-black suit that doubled as a uniform of some sort. On his lapel was a pin with a cross and a dove. Aleister shared a secret laugh with himself, thinking how he might arrest the man for impersonating an officer. Of course, Mr. Keswick recognized the man immediately from the photo he saw on the Rainbow Road website. It was Pastor Stryker, in the flesh. 


With a wide smile, Stryker motioned with his hand. "Come down here, with me.” 


The group walked down to the large office that was situated at the beginning of the hallway that intersected the one that they were occupying at present. At a point just outside of the office, the man turned to Pandora. 


“My name is Robert Stryker, by the way. Robert T. Stryker the fourth. But you can call me Bob.”


 Pandora smiled and held out a hand. “Nice to meet you, Bob. My name is Pandora. Pandora Keswick.”


 “Pandora. That's an interesting name. Not Christian.” Stryker smiled a smile with ulterior motives.


 “No,” Pandora said with a laugh. “It's Greek, actually. You know, Pandora's box?” 


“Yes. I know. How did--” “My parents,” Pandora said. “Academics. My father is a Classics professor.” This was actually true. Pandora's father was a Classics professor at Dartmouth, and had named his daughter after the woman starring in the famous Greek myth. 


“Oh. At a school around here?”


 “Actually, no. Further north. Upstate.” She glanced at Aleister. “That's where we're from, originally.”


 “I see. And what brings you to this area?” “We're new to the area. Moved here around six months ago. Outside of Nashua.”


 “Very good. And what brings you to Rainbow Road Community?”


 “Well, we heard that this was a good place for our daughters to receive a solid Christian education. So, we wanted to find out.” 


“And these are your daughters?” “Yes,” Pandora said and addressed the girls. “This is our oldest, Constance. And this is Guen, short for Guenevere.”


 “And who is this?” Stryker asked, intently eying Yarra. “A friend of your daughters'?”


 Pandora laughed. “Oh, no. This is our daughter, Yarra.” 


“Your daughter? But she's--”


 “Indian. Yes, she is. She was adopted by us at age five when her parents were killed in a plane crash outside of Bombay.” 


“I see.”


 “Is something wrong?”


 “No, not at all,” Stryker was quick to reply. “It's just that-- most of them stay true to their Hindu or Buddhist roots, unfortunately.” The phrase used by the pastor, "most of them," as opposed to the more polite "most Hindus" or simply just "most," was not lost on Aleister. Although it was a very slight detail, Aleister saw it as a crucial one for acquiring insight into Stryker's mindset. In addition, the sheriff, trained in reading facial expressions, took note of the intense way that Stryker was staring at Yarra. It could have most definitely been construed as a look of dislike. 


“Well, Yarra was a practicing Hindu until recently, when we all found Christ. We're new Christians, actually.” 


Stryker looked at Yarra with what Aleister construed as a taunting leer. "Yarra, is it?"


 Yarra nodded, with a smile.


 "And what is that short for?"


 "Yarra." The young girl answered, good natured. Yarra's ability to be sincerely nice to everyone she came in contact with, coupled with her belief that people liked her in return, resulted in her obliviousness to the underlying fact that Stryker most likely detested her.


 “Very good,” Stryker said, suddenly beaming. “Well, Mrs. Keswick, you and your family have come to the right place. Although the upcoming academic school year will be our first, Rainbow Road Preparatory School is dedicated to being one of the finest Christian secondary schools in the area. As you've no doubt seen, we do have the resources necessary to make that goal a reality." 


"Oh, yes."


 Stryker overturned a palm. "And your husband and yourself might also be interested in attending classes at Rainbow Road Bible Seminary.”


 “That sounds like a plan.” Stryker turned to Aleister. “I don't believe that I got your name, sir. You are?” 


Aleister smiled and offered a hand, which Stryker accepted. “Aleister Keswick. Nice to meet you.”


 At the sound of Aleister's name, Stryker chuckled. “Aleister. Another interesting name.” It was obvious that Stryker was making the mental correlation to the famous occultist, Aleister Crowley, who was actually Aleister's namesake.


 “It's English,” Aleister said, as-a-matter-of-fact. “My family was originally from England.” This, of course, was actually true.


 “Really? Mine, too. What part?”


 “Southern. Hampshire. What used to be called Wessex by my ancestors.” 


“Wessex. Stomping ground of Thomas Hardy's fiction, if I'm not mistaken.”

 

“That's correct,” Aleister said, remembering the fact that Stryker possessed a Bachelors degree in English. “You're familiar with his work?”


 “Oh, yes,” Stryker said. “But not for a long while. From my English teaching days. I'm more a student of Milton and Bunyan. But, although Hardy's poetry can be interpreted in a Christian manner, such as The Convergence of the Twain and The Darkling Thrush, it's his novels that pose a problem. Tess of the D'urbervilles, The Return of the Native. And especially Jude the Obscure. Definitely of a pagan nature.” 


“Well, that's what the powers-that-be that banned Jude at the time thought, too,” Aleister said with a laugh.


 “Hmmm. And what do you think, Mr. Keswick?” “Oh, definitely.” Aleister said. He could tell that Stryker was challenging him. Why? “No, no doubt about that. No, I agree with you, Bob. Can I call you Bob?”


 “If I can call you Aleister.”


 “Sure.”


 “Good. We're on a first name basis, then. Very good.”


 Pandora quickly attempted to change the subject, coming to Aleister's aid. “So, Bob,” she said, “you know quite a bit about us. But we know nothing at present about you. What is your role here at Rainbow Road?”


 Pandora noticed that Stryker's reaction to her statement was one of a subtle defensive; he seemed to take the statement as anything but an innocent inquiry. Apparently, Stryker initially believed that it was only Aleister that he would have to worry about. But the apparent implications of Pandora's question and its context seemed to have Stryker concerned at the motives of Mrs. Keswick, as well. Of course, this was only Pandora's observation. There was no concrete proof that this was what Stryker was actually thinking. But, it was also her instinct as a witch queen working overtime. Until proved otherwise, Pandora decided on the spot to go with her meta-instincts around Stryker.


 “Didn't I mention--” Stryker said before breaking into a smile. “No, I guess I didn't, did I?” “Well, besides being the founder of Rainbow Road, I am also the head pastor around here, and the Director of Admissions for Rainbow Road Bible Seminary.” 


“For the seminary,” Pandora said. “Oh. So, you wouldn't be able to help us with the high school admission process?” 


“No, actually, I can help you with the first part, which is the examination.”


 “Examination?” Aleister said. He wasn't expecting this.


 “Oh, yes,” Stryker said, somewhat defiantly. “All prospective students of Rainbow Road Prep are required to take a one-hundred question basic skills evaluation exam. It is broken up into four parts, twenty-five questions each. It focuses on the core curriculum; English, Math, History, and Science. It is a two-hour exam. To be considered for admission, the prospect must achieve at least an eighty percent average overall.”


 Aleister inwardly groaned, as he was sure Constance, Guen and Yarra were doing the same. Was Stryker trying to have them take the test at present, or at a later date? Since the Keswicks had to come across as convincing as possible to Stryker (and Aleister wasn't sure that Stryker wasn't seeing through their act), there really was no other choice but to have the girls take the exam, if that was what the man was getting at. 


“So, is there a scheduled date for this exam, or would they have to take it now?”


 “There really is no scheduled date, Aleister,” Stryker said. “I would suggest, to get the admissions process up and rolling, that the girls take the exam now. I can have their final results before you leave today, and send them over to the prep school office for their examination.” 


“Then what?”


 “After the exam, if the girls pass, their results would be examined by the guidance office. The girls would then be scheduled for an interview session, and then a final decision would be reached within 10-14 days after the interview.”


 “So, then would the girls be able to attend classes in the fall?” Pandora asked. 


“Yes. Are the girls enrolled in a school at present?”


 “Yes, in Nashua.”


 “And what is their grade level at present?” 


“Constance is a Senior this year, while Guen and Yarra are Juniors.”


 “Very good." He looked at Constance with a wide smile. "So, Constance, you will be in Rainbow Road's first graduating class."


 Constance's piercing dark blue eyes stared at the pastor with an appearance that matched her facial features. Expressionless. Aleister could not help but give his daughter the faintest of grins at this statement, which seemed humorous to him, in light of the fact that Constance had just graduated from Amnesty High School the week before. Connie did not return her father's grin. 


"And their grades and rank?” Stryker asked, turning away from Constance's intimidating stare.


 “Both Constance and Guen are at the top of their respective classes and high honor students. Yarra was in the top quarter of the Sophomore class last year and an honor student.” This, of course, was no fabrication. 


“Excellent. Then, yes, Mrs. Keswick, I would suggest that you do not leave Rainbow Road today without having the girls begin the admission process by taking the entrance examination.”


 Pandora looked at the girls. “Girls?”


 “What kind of a test is this?” Constance asked, obviously not expecting to take another test of an academic nature until she began Rockford in the fall. 


“It is a basic skills test of your content knowledge in the areas of English, Math, History and Science,” Stryker said. “There are questions that are reading comprehension and others, like the Math part, that are problem solving.” 


Guen and Yarra exchanged glances as Yarra made a face. "What kind of Math?" She asked. 


Both Guen and Constance excelled at advanced mathematics and the sciences. But, although Yarra was a solid "B" student in most math classes, she was not a big fan, being more attuned to the language arts and history, where she rivaled her friends. 


“Basic math, some Algebra I, some Geometry," Stryker said in a matter-of-fact tone. "What a competent student at Rainbow Road would be required to know." An amused look at Yarra. "Is something wrong? Haven't you--" 


"Nothing," Yarra said with a smile. "Sorry, my bad." 


Aleister made another mental note.


 Constance, picking up on Stryker's gloating smile at her friend, couldn't resist her next question. “Are the English, History and Science questions from a Christian perspective?” She asked innocently.


 Stryker, forced to tear himself away from Yarra and now look at Connie (whose self confident look and aggressive, on-off demeanor secretly unsettled him) hesitated a split second before replying. “Where applicable, yes.”


 Constance grinned, amused by this. "Applicable," here seemed to Connie to mean whenever something could be Christianized, even if it wasn't necessarily Christian in nature. She was reminded of her studies of Beowulf in English class, as her curiosity got the better of her. 


“Cool. Let's take it.” She turned to Guen and Yarra. “You guys in?”


 Guen and Yarra shrugged and nodded in the affirmative.


 “Very good,” Stryker beamed and looked at Pandora. “If the girls will have seats at the desks in the other room, I'll get the test and we'll get started.” 

“Sure,” Pandora said, smiling, with a glance at Aleister.


 Stryker handed out the tests a few minutes later, said a couple of words of instruction to the three girls and, to their surprise, led them in a prayer asking God to allow them success on the exam. While Stryker had his eyes closed, the girls looked at Pandora and Aleister helplessly. Pandora motioned for them to go along with the supplication. 


“...and we ask all of these things in Jesus's name. Amen.” Stryker opened his eyes and looked at Guen, Yarra and Constance. “All right, girls, it is now two-fifteen. You will have until four-fifteen to complete this exam. You may begin. God bless.” 


As the girls began the test, Stryker sat a chair on the threshold of the entrance that connected the assistant pastor's office (where the test was being taken) with his office. He took a seat on the chair, and motioned for Pandora and Aleister to pull up a couple of other chairs and join him. This was, in actuality, the last thing that the Keswicks wanted to do, but especially Aleister. He couldn't bear the thought of sitting around with Stryker for almost two hours, talking Christianity and all things related. 


But, for lack of any better ideas at present, Aleister did just that. 



CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX -- EVIE 



Although the time spent chatting with Stryker seemed like an eternity (in which both Aleister and Pandora were grateful to Aleister's wife Rachel concerning her knowledge of Christian thought and doctrine), Aleister finally saw a chance at freedom. At about three-thirty, Guen suddenly got up out of her seat and walked over to Stryker, test in hand. 


“Done so soon?” Stryker said in amazement.


 Guen nodded.


 “Are you sure? You have three quarters of an hour yet. Do you want to go back over it?”


 “I already did,” Guen said.


 Stryker sighed. “Well, all right. If you're sure.” He looked at Pandora and Aleister.


 Pandora just shrugged with a smile and Aleister saw his opportunity. “That's to be expected from this one,” he said, getting up. “She's smart as a whip. Come on, Guen, let's go for a walk. Get some air.”


 “OK, dad.”


 “We'll be back in a while,” Aleister assured, with a conspiratorial glance at Pandora. 


“We'll be here,” Stryker said with a smile at Pandora (whose smile in response was only surface deep). 


Aleister quickly walked with Guen out of Stryker's office and down the hall towards the exit leading to the parking lot. 


"Damn, I'm glad to be outta there," Aleister said. "I couldn't take much more of that gibberish." He chuckled. "Too bad that Pandora still has to listen to it." 


Guen grinned. "Poor Pandora. And Yarra and Connie, too."


 "They should be finishing up soon," Aleister said, checking his watch. Connie looked like she was done, but just going back over everything." He sighed. "Then we can get the hell outta here." 


"Did you find out anything?" 


Aleister grunted. "Besides the fact that Stryker is a religious fanatic and a bigot, not much. He was very careful in not talking about how the Rainbow Road Community came about, or anything significant about his background."


 Guen nodded. She suddenly had a strange feeling come over her. “I think someone is waiting for us.”


“What?”


 Aleister looked at Guen, who just nodded in the affirmative and smiled, wide-eyed.


 “You're freakin' me out, girl. Who's waiting?" 


"C'mon, follow me.”


 Aleister sighed. “All right. I'm right behind ya.” 


Guen led Aleister to the exit door. Once outside in the parking lot, Guen shielded her eyes with her hand, as the sun was starting its descent. It was at this time that Aleister and she were suddenly addressed without warning by an elderly but strong female voice coming from somewhere to their right. 


“Guenevere Goode. Welcome to hell. Blessed Be.”


 “Do you know her?” Aleister asked, looking at the very old woman that addressed Guen. She was short and thin, with a wild shock of shoulder-length, silvery-gray hair. The woman's hair and pale blue eyes fit the typical stereotype of a “witch.” To see the woman on definite Christian soil seemed strange, for she looked of pagan origin.


 “I saw you before,” Guen said and began to walk over to the woman, who was standing at the far edge of the building, some fifty feet away. Guen was certain that the woman was benevolent, but hesitated to respond with the Wiccan “Blessed Be” until she knew more. 


The ancient woman smiled slyly. “Yes, you did. With Allegra.” 


“Uh, huh.”


 Aleister did a double take. “What? When did you--” 


“When you entered the ninth circle of hell, Sheriff Anderson. You're welcome as well.”


 “How do you--” “Allegra has told me all about you, sheriff. And Guen and her friends. What you all did for Vanessa and Rosa and her." A smile. "She said that you would come."


 “Hold on a second,” Aleister said, raising a hand. "You have some questions to answer." The old woman was making him nervous. “How do you know who I am and who Guen is?” And how in the world do you know Allegra?" 


The old woman laughed. “Concerning the first two questions, sheriff, as I've told you, Allegra's told me all about Guen and you. I've known Allegra for a long, long time.”


 “But you do realize she's dead. Allegra's dead.”


 “My good sheriff, for someone who was once a Wiccan high priest, one would think that it wouldn't have to be explained to him that the dead don't die. They live.” 


“You're Wiccan?” 


“Yes, sheriff. As much or more so than you used to be. I've secretly been a Wiccan solitary for almost seventy years. Like Allegra was towards her parents, I am a Christian in name only.”


 Aleister shook his head in confusion. “All right, so for the big question. Who are you?”


 The old woman looked at Guen with her sly smile. “Guen knows.”


 “You do?” 


“Yeah, actually, I do,” Guen said. “She's Evie.”


 “Who? Evie? Who's Evie?”


 “You asked me, sheriff, if I realized that Allegra was dead, as if I was going senile or something.”


 “No,” Aleister said with upraised palms, “wait--”


“The fact is, sheriff, that I know Allegra died that night better than almost anyone.” She laughed. “I should, seeing how I was there with her, ten minutes before she was shot to death.”


 “Wait. You were with Allegra that night?”


 “Yes, sheriff, I was. I was a little girl, five years old at the time. Anyway, the night Allegra and her friends were brought to Zeeland to die, I saw them from my bedroom window, being led into the basement.”


 “What were you doing up?”


 Evie grinned at Guen, who was also amused at Aleister's statement of disbelief. “Well, if you can still believe it, sheriff, something made me look out the window that early morning. But I saw Allegra and her friends enter those doors. I also saw when they brought Vanessa and Rosa out to be hanged on those Witness Trees. And yes, sheriff, I was also the last person Allegra spoke to before she was shot to death by those bigot b******s in those woods.” Here, Evie stared seemingly at nothing, deep in thought. Finally, she chuckled. “Witness Trees. That's a good name for them. With all the murders they've been witness to. And those woods. The secrets that were hidden there.” She looked at Aleister with reverence. "Before you came, that is." 


Aleister was now definitely interested. “You sound like you know a lot.” 


“I do.”


 “And you've never told anyone? Do you know that's withholding evidence and hindering a criminal investigation?”


 “Sheriff, when you live in hell, you fear no man's judgment. Arrest me if you must. But realize there were definite reasons why I couldn't tell the secrets I know.” 


Aleister nodded. "I need you to tell me about Rainbow Road and its connection to Zeeland. And Pastor Stryker's connection as well. Can you do that for me?" 


“That's really why I'm here, sheriff.” Evie grinned. “And why you're here, too.”


 “Oh, there you are. I should have known.” It was Stryker. “Evie, are you bothering our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, again?”


 “I can't seem to help myself, Bob. You know me.”


 “Yes, I do, Evie.” Stryker turned to Aleister. “I hope that Evie didn't talk your ear off too much. When she gets going, she doesn't know when to stop, sometimes.”


 “She's a great conversationalist,” Aleister said with a glance at Evie. “She says just what you want to hear.” 


“Yes, she's been known to build up her fellow Christians,” Stryker said. “But, anyway. What I wanted you to know is that your other daughters have finished with the exam, and I have already ran the answers through the Scan Tron.”


 “So, did they pass?”


 “With flying colors. Guen, your sister Constance scored a 95, you beat her out with a 97." 


Guen just smiled.


 “Even your other sister did well. She got an 87. Not bad.” 


Aleister took silent note of the way in which Yarra was referenced to last by Stryker, and of the way in which she was referred to as the “other sister.” It was the fourth such instance in which Stryker seemed to deliberately slight Yarra. For Aleister, it was not just a coincidence.


 “That's my girls,” he said, trying to sound like the proud father. 


“Yes, very good,” Stryker said with a smile. “So, I will take these test results over to the registration office first thing in the morning and submit them. That will get the ball rolling on this end.”


 “Very good, Bob. Thank you.”


 “Your wife is waiting with your other daughters for you inside. Shall I tell them to meet you out here?”


 “Yes, that would be great, Bob,” Aleister said with a smile which was not totally put on. He was secretly glad that he would not have to go back into the building.


 Stryker offered his hand to Aleister. “So, you will be hearing from us in a couple of weeks, I'm sure.”


 “If you don't hear from me first,” Aleister said with a chuckle as he accepted Stryker's hand, alluding to the fact that the next time the director of admissions saw Aleister, he would be Sheriff Anderson, not Mr. Keswick. And that time will be sooner than you think.


 Stryker just smiled, most likely not wanting to show that he did not really understand Aleister's statement. He turned to Evie with a look somewhere between playfulness and directive.


 “Don't keep the Keswicks too long, Evie.”


 “I won't, Bob. We were just parting when you showed up.”


 Stryker half grinned. “Until later,” he said to Aleister. 


“Later, Bob.” “Let me tell your wife and daughters that you are ready to go.”


 “Thanks.” And with that exchange of words, Stryker was off to the building's nearest entrance.


 “So, sheriff,” Evie said when Stryker was safely inside of the building. “Where were we?”


 “I think that we were discussing you telling me everything that you know about this place and Stryker, in relation to Zeeland.”


 “Well, sheriff,” Evie said, “it's going to take longer than the time it will take for your newly generated wife and daughters to come out here.”


 “How do you know my wife and daughters are 'newly generated?'”


 “Well, one daughter in there is.” Evie smiled coyly. "And, of course, your 'wife' Pandora was, at one time, your common law wife, before you married your current one. You really don't know how I know?” She asked. “Or, you just don't want to admit it?”


 Aleister just grinned. “How would you like to go to dinner tonight?”


 Evie smiled. “Are you asking me out on a date, sheriff?”


 “Something like that,” Aleister said. “Let's call it a business banquet. Guen will also be present. How does seven o'clock sound?”


 “It sounds good, sheriff," Evie said.


 “Good,” Aleister said with a nod. “Seven o'clock it is. A date. Guen and I will be parked right over there.”


 “See you then, sheriff. Guen, Blessed Be.”


 “Blessed Be," Guen said with a smile.


 Aleister just nodded acknowledgment to the old woman. Pandora, Constance and Yarra had just exited the chapel building and were standing on the steps. Aleister and Guen made their way over to them. 


“Are you ready to go, Mr. Keswick?” Pandora said with a smile.


 “I've been ready,” Aleister said. “Let's get the hell outta here. For now, anyway.”


 “Whatdaya mean by that?” 


“I mean that Guen and I are coming back here tonight.”


 “What? Why?”


 “We have a dinner date with that old woman that you just saw us talking to.”


 “Should I know her?”


 “It's Evie,” Guen said.


 “I don't think I was told about her, honey,” Pandora said. “Who is she?” 


“She was a little girl that lived at Zeeland when they murdered Allegra and the others. She was the last person to see Allegra alive, besides her killers.” 


Pandora looked at Guen. “How do you know that?” 


“I just do,” Guen shrugged. “You know those dreams that I was having just before I first saw Allegra in the clearing?”


 “Yeah. Your mother told me about them.”


 “Well, I couldn't remember a lot of the details of them,” Guen said. “But, when I saw Evie looking down at us with Allegra when we came in--”


 “Hold on a second,” Pandora chuckled. “You didn't say anything about that, before.”


 “Yeah, I know. But, anyway, when I saw her looking, I remembered seeing her in one of my dreams. That's how I knew who she was.”


 “Could we continue this conversation away from here?" Constance asked with an impatient sigh. "Just because Guen and dad want to come back here doesn't mean I do. I've had enough of this place, forever.”


 Aleister turned his attention from his actual daughter to his "other" daughter, as Stryker had referred to Yarra. "What about you, Yarra? Would you like to go along tonight?"


 "Sure," Yarra said with a grin at Guen. "It sounds fun. Count me in."


 "Alright," Aleister said. "I'll pick both of you up in front of Guen's house at a quarter to seven."


 "Cool." Constance rolled her eyes. “Can we go now?”


 Aleister pulled out his car keys. “You heard the young lady. Everyone to the SUV.”


 “Thank you.” “You're welcome, actual daughter of mine.”


 “Yeah. And don't forget it.”


 “How could I? I have you to keep reminding me.”


 “And you should be thankful for that.”


 Aleister stopped and looked at Constance. “I am, Connie.”


 Constance grinned. “That's good. Now, can we please go? This place is creepy.”


 “Yeah,” Aleister said with a smile. “Everybody in.”


 A minute later, the Keswicks were out of the parking lot and traveling back to Amnesty, via Rainbow Road to Canal Road. And although the Stryker residence could still be seen for a short distance through the back window or rear view mirror of Aleister's SUV, the act of turning right onto the road in question served to obliterate the newly established Rainbow Road Christian community from sight. 


An illusion. 



CHAPTER TWENTY- SEVEN -- FORTUNE TELLING 



In almost no time at all, Aleister was driving his SUV through the gate entrance into Amnesty. The little amount of time that had passed caused the occupants of the vehicle to realize with discomfort just how close the new Christian fundamentalist community was to their beloved hometown. 

Too close.


 It was getting on to five o'clock when the former family group known as the Keswicks pulled into the driveway of the Osbourne residence. Aleister came inside for a few moments, while Guen and Yarra went upstairs with Constance to her room. It would be five-thirty before Charity and Patience got back home from their day at Pandora's Box. 


“So, what did you think of Stryker?” Pandora asked Aleister. The two were sitting on the sofa in the Osbourne living room.


 “Couldn't stand him,” Aleister said, shaking his head. “I wanted to arrest him for impersonating a person. And he's definitely a bigot. I counted four separate times that he referred to Yarra in a degrading way. Subtle, but degrading.”


 "Do you think that he's hiding something?" 


"I can't, for the life of me, see how this guy would not know what happened with The Angels of Death and Mother Black. He would have to know something."


 "One would think."


 "But can it be proved? That's the question. That's why I'm hoping that this Evie person will be able to provide some concrete information. I very much want to see Rainbow Road shut down, and if I get what I need to do that, I'll bring it about, guaranteed.”


 "And if not?"


 Aleister thought about this before replying. "Bottom line? I don't want a Zeeland version 2.0 around here. The hard part is in convincing a judge that the Rainbow Road Community, Church and Schools is a threat." 


"Is it?"


 Aleister sighed. "Honestly? Who's to say?" He shook his head and raised a hand for emphasis. "Here's what I think. It's at the very least, based on its connection with Zeeland, a potential threat. Anytime that you have a fundamentalist institution, you have the potential for problems. Look at Jonestown. Look at Waco. Look at 9/11--" 


"Look at Zeeland," Pandora said solemnly. 


"Exactly," Aleister said.

 

"So, what now?"


 "Well, I’ll listen to this Evie person, tonight, for starters. And then go from there. Listen. This is what we're looking at here. Either Rainbow Road will be shut down, either Stryker will be arrested, or Rainbow Road will continue on after being given a warning that my men and I are watching them closely. One, or maybe two of those three things are what's going to happen."


 Pandora grinned. She reached for a squarish object wrapped in a black velvet cloth laying on the coffee table, embroidered with a red pentacle (an encircled pentagram). When she unwrapped the object from the cloth, it proved to be a worn deck of Rider-Waite Tarot cards, which she shuffled. 


"Lay your hand on the cards and cut them three times," Pandora instructed the sheriff.


 Aleister did as he was told, knowing the cards well enough to place the third pile on top of the second and the first on top of that.


 "Take the first card from the pile and place it on the table."


 Aleister did so. 


"Now, take the second card from the pile and cross the first." 


Aleister placed the second card over the first. Pandora was utilizing a very simple spread that basically focused on the matter at hand, in the present. This spread was actually one part of the larger, more involved Celtic Cross spread. The first card signified the present situation, while the second card, crossing the first, signified the forces at work concerning the situation. Pandora would also utilize the "cross" card as the final outcome card. Being careful to maintain the cards' position on the table, she turned them over. The first card was The Magician in the upright position, the second card in the Tarot deck, and also the second of what was known by students of the Tarot as the Major Arcana. A preponderance of Major Arcana cards in a spread usually signified that the outcome was based largely on the querent's own psychological and spiritual state at the time. It was interesting to Pandora that the cards seemed to be indicating that the real issue at hand in this situation was a spiritual one, and not just a matter of Karmic law, as the more earthbound Justice or Judgment cards would have indicated. And although Pandora realized that the supernatural presence (i.e., Allegra) in this situation definitely gave it a spiritual twist, her instincts as an expert reader of the Tarot seemed to be telling Pandora that it was, in fact, Aleister's own personal spiritual growth that was the real issue, here.


 "You are the Magician in this situation," Pandora said. "You have power from above, as well as power here, below."


 "So, I'm in control?" Aleister asked.


 Pandora turned over the second card that "crossed" the first. It was another Major Arcana card, The Wheel of Fortune.


 "Well?" Aleister asked, knowing well the card in question, but waiting for Pandora's discernment.


 Pandora grinned with pursed lips and looked at Aleister with the slightest hint of amusement. Constance would often display the same look when being questioned or challenged.


 "You're right, sheriff. It is as you say."

 


CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT -- DINNER WITH EVIE



 Instead of driving back home and having to come back an hour later, Aleister decided to hang out at the Osbourne residence until it was time to leave for Rainbow Road. Guen and Yarra stayed with Connie in her room until just after six o'clock, when Charity and Patience arrived home from their workday at Pandora's Box. At six forty-five, Guen and Yarra met Aleister in front of the Osbournes and the trio set off for the Rainbow Road Community, Church and Schools.


 To be on the safe side, Aleister entered the community from the back, on the opposite end of the community, where Rainbow Road eventually intersected another major road in the office park. While the seminary and radio station building was still only partially erected, the two school buildings looked to be ninety percent complete and ready for use by the time the new school year started in a few months. The chapel building was active, with several lights on, on all three floors. Aleister glanced over at the Stryker residence across the way. Both cars were in the driveway, and there were lights on in the house.


 Not good if Stryker sees us back here, Aleister thought to himself. Especially with Evie


When Aleister pulled his SUV around the side of the building and into the parking lot, Guen saw Evie's room, flooded in light, suddenly bathed in darkness.


 “Evie just turned her light out,” Guen said. 


“I hope that means that she saw us and not that she's turning in for the night,” Aleister said as he maneuvered his vehicle to the spot that he had told Evie he would be at.


 “There she is,” Guen said a minute later, pointing to the smallish old woman who made her way out of the building. Evie's silver gray hair shone in the moonlight, giving her an eerie appearance. 


Aleister chuckled. “God, she really does look like a witch.”


 Guen and Yarra looked at him incredulously.


 “Oh, and what does a witch look like?” Guen asked, somewhere between poking fun and being critical.


 “Yeah, we're witches, too, ya know.” Yarra said. "Not to mention your daughter, as well. Remember?"


 Aleister nodded acknowledgment. “Sorry, guys. I didn't mean--”


 Guen and Yarra smiled at each other.


 “You're forgiven.” Guen said and playfully shook her finger at Aleister. 


“But don't let it happen again.” Yarra said.


 “I won't,” Aleister said in a meek tone. I really have a penchant for sticking my foot in my mouth. He thought to himself.

*****

 Aleister drove the quartet to an all-night diner a few miles away. The trip over was fairly quiet. Aleister was silently trying to figure out in his mind what to ask Evie, while it seemed that Evie was simultaneously trying to figure out how to respond to questions she had not been asked yet. 


“This place should do,” Aleister said as he pulled into the diner's parking lot. “The food here is not bad." 


The four went in and climbed into a booth. After perusing menus and a bit of small talk, Aleister got down to business. He pulled out a small tape recorder and, after having Evie's permission to record their conversation, began to question the old woman.


 "So, Evie, what do you know about Rainbow Road and Stryker in relation to Zeeland and Pastor Noland?" He asked.


 "Well, let's see," Evie said thoughtfully. "For starters, sheriff, you might find it interesting that Pastors Noland and Stryker are close friends." 


"Really?"


 "Yes. Since childhood."


 "So, are you saying that Stryker also knows what Noland knows in relation to Mother Black and the Angels of Death?"


 "In my opinion, sheriff? Definitely."


 "OK, in your opinion. So--" 


"If you're asking me if there's concrete evidence of the fact, sheriff, then the answer is no."


 "And Allegra would say the same?"


 The old woman smiled. "Allegra would definitely agree with me on this, sheriff. "Let me put it this way, and you're not gonna like it, but--"


 "I'm listening, go ahead."


 "Alright. Allegra knows beyond the shadow of a doubt that Pastor Stryker definitely knows about what happened back then. But she also definitely knows that, unlike with Noland, there is no proof of that knowledge. He's covered his tracks well."


 Now it was Aleister's turn to sigh.


 "You're right, Evie. That's not what I wanted to hear. But Stryker is definitely as guilty as Noland?"


 "Oh, yes." 


"OK."


 Aleister, not seeing the point of pursuing this line of questioning any farther, decided to go in a different direction.


 "So, now, let's talk about Rainbow Road in relation to Zeeland. What can you tell me about it?"


 "Well, Rainbow Road is Noland's attempt at a Zeeland II. When he saw that things were not going to go well for him and the town, he and other high ranking members of the church board and town counsel decided to give a large amount of funding to Pastor Stryker to try to begin another town or, at least, some sort of Christian community."


 Aleister grinned. "So, let me guess. That move basically spelled the end of Zeeland." 


Evie nodded. "Yes. The town declared bankruptcy shortly thereafter." 


That's what I thought. "OK. So, where was Stryker before all of this went down? He wasn't living at Zeeland at the time?" 


"No, he wasn't," Evie said. "Stryker has another role as a Captain in a salvationalist organization."


 Aleister nodded. "Yes, I saw something about that on the Rainbow Road website. Some sort of pseudo-militaristic group." "The King's Regiment." 


"That's it."


 It was at this time that the waitress brought the quartet their meals. Guen and Yarra opted for the special of chicken fingers and fries, while Evie and Aleister had the pork chop special with mashed potatoes and vegetables. While the girls had chocolate milk shakes, Evie had tea. Aleister had coffee.


 "That looks good, girls," Evie said to Guen and Yarra with enthusiasm. 


"Chicken fingers," Yarra said with a smile. "Yummy."


 "Uh, huh," Guen said with a nod as she dipped a piece of chicken into her sweet and sour sauce. 


"Yes. Well, anyway," Evie said between bites, "before Stryker was given the deed to the Noland residence, he was sort of a rover. He divided his time between staying at Zeeland and staying in a residence affiliated with the regiment, over in Portsmouth." 


"So, he was over there, then."


 "Yes. And he was told to stay there when Zeeland went bankrupt, and when your men and you were called in to vacate the premises."


 Aleister nodded. He flashed Evie a grin. "And where were you, Evie, when all that was going down? You weren't at Zeeland, either." 


"Ah, now there's another story, sheriff," Evie said with a touch of amusement in her voice. 


"Let's hear it." 


"Well, just prior to your arrival at Zeeland to evict those still around, I was instructed by the remaining echelon to go with Pastor Stryker, and that he would put me up temporarily at the King's Regiment house in Portsmouth. And then, when there was a residence available at Rainbow Road, I could live there permanently." 


"And why was that? Were there others that were instructed to do the same?"


 "No, no others. Some that were evicted by you guys did eventually end up at Rainbow Road on a temporary basis, until they could move into a new house."


 Aleister suddenly looked up at the old woman from looking at his pork chops. "New house? At Rainbow Road?"


 "Yes. There are plans to build several new houses behind the seminary building for those who were living at Zeeland before. It's all part of the move to one day make Rainbow Road Community another Christian town." 


Aleister nodded, uncomfortable with this bit of news, especially in light of the inability-- at least, at present-- to do anything about it.


 "But I was really the only person not living in a house, but occupying rooms," Evie continued. "And to answer your first question, sheriff, about why wasn't I present at Zeeland when you and your men arrived, well-- let's just say that the higher ups at Zeeland knew that I knew, and that they didn't want me around when the sheriff's department showed up." 


"That you knew about what happened to Allegra and her friends with Mother Black and the Angels of Death?"


 "Yes, and also that I knew that Noland knew what went on back then, too." 


"How did you know that?" 


"From Allegra, of course."


 "OK. Right." Aleister shook his head. "That makes sense." The sheriff looked at his small tape recorder as if it was a meteor from outer space. Finally, he reluctantly shut it off. 


"No further questions, Evie," he said with a hint of disappointment in his voice. 



CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE -- OPTION ONE 



Although the evening spent with Evie was both enjoyable and informative, it did not meet Aleister's expectations. In truth, the sheriff was hoping for Evie to provide him with a vital link to incriminating evidence against Pastor Stryker concerning a knowledge of the mass murders committed by the Angels of Death, in response to the judgments of Mother Black. He knew all too well that if Allegra, a denizen of the supernatural realm, had no inside knowledge of any tangible evidence against Stryker that could be found by his men, then the effort to find such evidence was futile. Unfortunately, this would also include the uselessness of acquiring and studying any account ledgers for both Zeeland and Rainbow Road. And if so, then there was no case to present to a judge, not even to the highly sympathetic, honorable Dawson Alexander, the judge that presided over the DiAmicci Murder Trial. For, as Aleister knew very well, Judge Alexander was a stickler for substantial evidence leading to a tight, open and shut case. Without that, even Alexander would deny Aleister a request for a eviction notice or a search warrant. So, what to do? There seemed to be only one option. If Aleister could not shut Rainbow Road down somehow, then he would make damn sure that Pastor Stryker knew where the sheriff and his men stood concerning him and his Christian community. 

*****

It was five-thirty. Aleister was in his office, conducting his routine touch-base meeting with Frank and Matt at the end of the day. The topic of discussion? The best strategy concerning Stryker and the Rainbow Road Community, in light of the results of the Keswicks' visit and Evie's information.


Aleister’s cell phone rang. It was Pandora.


 “Hey, Pan, what's up? Wha-- really?... What did-- oh, he does, huh?... Yeah. Listen. This is what I would do. Call him back, tell him that you spoke to me and that the best time would be tomorrow.... Right. Huh?... [Laughs.] Probably, 'cause he can't find us anywhere. We're not listed. Yeah, call him back, don't worry about it. He'll get a visit, tomorrow, I guarantee it. That's when we were going over, anyway.... All right, Pan. Kiss Connie for me.... Right. Bye.”


 Aleister snapped the phone shut and looked at his colleagues. “Jesus,” he said with an amused look and a shake of his head.


“Everything all right?” Matt asked.


 "Pandora just got a call from Stryker.”


 “What's he want?” Frank asked.


 “He wants to see her and me at our 'earliest convenience.'”


 “About what?”


 “About yesterday, no doubt,” Aleister said, emphatic. “He probably got a call from the prep school that they can't find records of our children at the schools they supposedly went to.”


 “Aleister, I'm surprised at you,” Matt said in a mock fashion. Falsification of information? And all from the county sheriff, no less.”


 “Yeah,” Aleister said with a grunt. “I could probably give Sheriff Stewart a run for his money.”


 Sheriff Stewart, the corrupt Klan sheriff that covered up the atrocities at Zeeland for Mother Black and the Angels of Death.


 “So, what are you gonna do?”


 "Proceed as planned," Aleister said with confidence. "Tomorrow, we pay Pastor Stryker a visit. He wants a visit, so we'll give him one."


 "Not what he's expecting, I'm sure," Matt said with a sly look.


 Aleister's look was crestfallen. "Yeah, well-- it's not exactly the visit I had planned for him, either, but-- under the circumstances, it's the only one we can give him."


 Frank shrugged. "Well, if anything, it might just put the fear of God in the pastor."


 Matt chuckled. "'Fear of God in the pastor'. I like that. That was good." 


"Thank you, Matt. Coming from you, that's a complement."

 "Don't get too used to it."


 "Alright," Aleister said, bringing everyone back into focus. "So, we do this tomorrow morning. Nine o'clock arrival at Rainbow Road. Questions, comments, concerns?"


 "Yeah, I have one," Frank said with a raised hand. 


"Yes, Frank?"


 "Where are we meeting, what time and who's buying?"


 "Bagel and doughnut shop in Amnesty, about eight o'clock?"


 Frank nodded. 


"That's so cliché," Matt said.


 "And Frank's buying, of course." Aleister said, much to Matt's delight.


 "Of course," Frank said. "As usual."

 


CHAPTER THIRTY -- FROZEN 



The Amnesty Bagel and Doughnut Shop was on Main Street, a few doors down from Pandora's Box. It was a favorite stop for Rockford County's finest, when they were in town. When Aleister had arrived at the designated meeting spot at a few minutes after eight, Frank and Matt were already present and occupying a booth. An opened box of doughnuts sat on the table before them. In truth, the box of doughnuts was for Frank and Aleister. Matt was enjoying an Everything bagel with cream cheese.


 “Al,” Frank said in a cheerful manner upon spotting Aleister. “Glad you could make it.” He held up a round, edible object, half eaten. “I saved you a couple of doughnuts." He nodded to a steaming pot sitting on the table. "Coffee's on.”

 Aleister looked at his men, trying to keep a straight face. “You know what you guys look like, don't you?” 


“A cliché?” Matt said with a grin and another bite of his bagel. 


“Something like that,” Aleister said, reaching into the box of doughnuts and selecting a cream filled disc. He looked at Matt. “A bagel, Matt?”


 “Yeah,” Frank said with a chuckle. “I tried to convince him that the Jews have been known to eat doughnuts, but he would have none of it.”


 "A bagel is a doughnut, dummy," Matt said. "A Jewish one."


 “Hey, I'm just saying." Frank said with another bite of his doughnut. "Just looking out for ya, buddy.”


 “Yeah, that's the problem,” Matt said with emotion, to uproarious laughter.


 After the laughter and needling had died down, Aleister looked at his team with the face that indicated that it was time to get serious and attend to the matter at hand.


 “All right, men. We have a job to do.”


 What was Aleister's strategy? It was, as Frank had said, to 'put the fear of God' into Pastor Stryker, to create an awareness that Aleister and his men were watching the Rainbow Road Community very closely. In truth, with no concrete, incriminating evidence against Stryker, it was Aleister and his team's only option.


 Aleister pulled his sheriff's SUV into the chapel building parking lot, while Frank did the same with his under sheriff's SUV, and Matt with his detective's cruiser. The team had established that Pastor Stryker was present in the building by giving him a call on Matt's cell phone, while still at the Amnesty Doughnut and Bagel Shop. Of course, when Stryker had identified himself, Matt abruptly hung up.


 "Let's do it," Aleister said to his men when all three were out of their respective vehicles and standing in front of the building entrance. Frank and Matt nodded as Aleister led the way inside.


 Stryker's body visibly froze when he saw the tall, imposing figure of Sheriff Anderson come into view. Awkwardly, he attempted to switch mental gears and adjust his approach, so as not to appear overly anxious.


 “Aleister? You're with-- I didn't know--”


 “Hello, Bob,” Aleister said to the confused pastor with a blank grin. “I guess when I was over here the other day, I neglected to mention that I work for the county sheriff's department. Actually, I am the county sheriff. And my name isn't Keswick. It's Anderson. Sheriff Aleister Anderson. And this isn't a social call.”


 “I don't understand,” Stryker said, his voice slightly rougher now. “What is this all about?


 Uninvited, Aleister pulled one of the guest seats away from Stryker's desk, turned it around and sat on it backwards, folding his muscular arms over the top of the back. This strategy worked, for it was very evident from Stryker's facial expression and demeanor that the sheriff was much too up close and personal. Matt leaned against the desk on the opposite end of the room, while Frank stood to the side of Aleister, his massive arms folded and his legs slightly spread apart. All eyes were on the pastor.


 "Let's talk, pastor."


 "About what, sheriff?"


 "This is what we know," Aleister said. First, we know that you are childhood friends with Pastor Noland." 


"Yes, I--"


 Aleister held up a hand for silence. "Second. We know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you know as much about what happened the early morning that Allegra DiAmicci and her friends were murdered at the hands of The Angels of Death as Pastor Noland."


 "Excuse me? I'm not--"


 "Third. We know that you were given a substantial amount of money by the Zeeland echelon just after Pastor Noland was arrested by my men and me. The money was yours to start up a new Zeeland, so to speak. Namely, Rainbow Road Community, Church and Schools."


 "Wait a second, sheriff--"


 Another raised hand by Aleister, halting any further comment. "Right now, pastor, I speak, you listen. Understood?"


 The pastor sat back in his seat and impatiently motioned for the sheriff to continue.


 "Thank you. Fourth. That by giving you the funding to start up this place, Zeeland was rendered financially insolvent. This is the main reason that Zeeland went bankrupt."


 Pastor Noland pursed his lips and shrugged.


 "Fifth. That you were instructed by Noland to take Evie Meadows along with you to The King's Regiment chapter house in Portsmouth, so that she would not tell me and the members of my staff about the fact that she was a witness to the murder of Vanessa Sanchez and Rosa Conceptión, and had spoken to Allegra DiAmicci just minutes before she was pursued by the Nolands into the Amnesty Woods and eventually shot to death by Stephen Noland II."


 Stryker just sighed and shook his head, but remained silent. When Aleister said no more (to gauge the pastor's reaction), Stryker spoke. "Is that all, sheriff?" 


"You have something to say?" Aleister asked. "Now's the time to say it." 


"Just one thing, sheriff. If you know all this, then why aren't you arresting me?"


 "That's a great question, pastor. And I'm glad you asked. See, we know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you're just as guilty at withholding evidence and interfering with a police investigation as your friend Noland. But, unlike your friend, you don't have any skeletons in the closet." A smile. "Or the attic. Not yet, anyway. And you see, that's where we come in." Aleister nodded in the direction of Frank. "My chief deputy sheriff and his men, and my chief of detectives and his men and myself, we're going to be keeping very close tabs on you and this place, pastor. We're gonna keep our eyes and ears open. If we even smell something out of the ordinary, we're gonna come down on this place like a ton of bricks. And I guarantee we won't stop until you're sharing a cell with your friend Noland, and this place is as dead as Zeeland is now."


 "So, you're not arresting me."


 "Not today, pastor. But tomorrow? That's up to you. We have friends in some interesting places. Friends that can see and know everything that goes on here. And, if they see something out of line, pastor, I guarantee you that we'll be the first to know." 


Stryker looked at the sheriff with knitted brow. He obviously did not know who and what Aleister was talking about. "I'm afraid I don't--" 


"I wouldn't worry about it too much, pastor," Aleister said, straightening up in his seat. "Just don't do anything careless or stupid. Or you'll regret it. And I can assure you of that. But, in the meantime, you can go on here as always. Freedom of assembly and all that. But slip up, and that freedom that you enjoy will end abruptly. So, my advice? Don't test it."


 "Is that all, sheriff?"


 "Not yet. We're going to be taking Evie Meadows away from Rainbow Road in the next day or two. She's going to be living elsewhere. In the meantime, I would advise that you and any colleagues here do not talk to her or come in contact with her. This also goes for any unnecessary interference during the time that my men are here to relocate her."


 Stryker grinned. "Sheriff, are you saying--"


 "Let me make this quite clear, pastor. If we find out that she's been threatened or harmed in any way within the next twenty-four to forty-eight hours, you and any other offending party will also be leaving the premises and spending time in my jail. Understood?"


 Stryker, still grinning, threw up hands of surrender. "Understood, sheriff." 


"That's all, pastor." Aleister got up out of his seat, not bothering to turn it around in its proper position. "For now." Aleister motioned to Frank and Matt. "Let's go, men." When Aleister was in the doorway, he turned around. "Oh, yeah, pastor. Say 'hello' to Noland for me next time. Long time, no see."


 Stryker opened his mouth as if to respond, but held it in check. 


Frozen. 










1.  It was Aleister's intent to get Evie away from the fundamentalist stronghold, basically for her own protection, and also because, as he said to the old woman during the dinner date, "Evie, it's not right for you to be living at Rainbow Road. You're a Wiccan in a Christian establishment. That has to be uncomfortable for you." "What do you suggest, sheriff?" Evie asked. "Well, I might have just the thing," Aleister said. Aleister's "thing," of course, was to move Evie to Amnesty. She would stay with Charity and Guen for a few days, until a more suitable accommodation was found. Shortly after her arrival, Evie hit it off with Brunhilde Ingersoll, the ancient Scandinavian woman that lived on Monolith Street next door to the Smythes. The two women live together at the Ingersoll residence to this day.











































































© 2023 Bud R. Berkich


Author's Note

Bud R. Berkich
This is both a stand alone work and the third part of my novel entitled Girls In White Dresses. It is a an early, rough draft. Therefore agreement, tense, grammar and spelling, etc. has not been fully edited in this version.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on January 8, 2023
Last Updated on January 8, 2023
Tags: Fundamentalism, murder, paranormal events, investigation

Author

Bud R. Berkich
Bud R. Berkich

Somerville, NJ



About
I am a literary fiction writer (novels, short stories, stage and screenplays) and poet who has been wrting creatively since the age of eight. I have also written and published various book reviews, m.. more..

Writing
Prequel Prequel

A Story by Bud R. Berkich