Draft Dodger

Draft Dodger

A Story by Don Murphy
"

Two years after I turned 18 and at the height of the Vietnam Conflict I finally registered for the draft. During those two years I lived less than 300 feet from the local Recruiting Office.

"
Not wanting to go die for Nixon and the Military-Industrial Complex I waited two years after I turned eighteen in 1970 to register for the draft. I was regarded as a draft-dodger. However, registering at all regardless of age and having never been apprehended made it impossible for Uncle Sam to prosecute me. Upon registering I immediately applied for 1-0 status as a Conscientious Objector. I refused to carry a weapon or cause bodily harm especially death to any other war participant. It took two applications, half-a-dozen letters, phone calls, five office visits, four handwritten drafts (NO LESS than 3000 words), a definitive thesis statement, auto-biography, collaborative references or written statements and a typed finished report of six or more pages not including the nine page filing questionnaire. 

Eight weeks of sweat and grit, three letters after filing stating I was being reviewed and finally a standing oral report before a panel of five all White Male Army Officers including follow-up questions from all five Board Members. Did I use drugs? Had I ever engaged in Illegal, Clandestine or Anti-Government Activities, belonged to the Communist Party, been a Vietnamese Sympathizer, or (The Best) slept with members of my own Sex. I pretty much lied out right a number of times during my responses. Especially about f*****g other boys. How was it relevant? Did they think I wouldn't be able to kill men, women and children if I had sucked a dick? I wouldn't kill anyone but it had nothing to do with my being bisexual, male, an Artist, Hippie, Drug user, Community Volunteer, Underground Newspaper Reporter, Education, or who I had sex with (but since I was attracted to and slept with both genders why would I want to kill anyone). 

It took eight weeks and three additional letters informing me that I was under review but I finally got my draft card with my Status listed as 1-0 (CO) Conscientious Objector which I immediately set aflame. I still might be required to attend the party but I wouldn't have to bring a present or drink the Kool-aid. Two weeks later I drew a 385 on the induction list which was way above the top limit for inductees. It took two more years for Tricky Dick to pull it out of "The Yellow Man's" a*s but I never heard from Uncle Sam again. Like Lincoln said in 'Hair,' "S**t! I ain't dyin' for no white man."

© 2017 Don Murphy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on April 25, 2017
Last Updated on April 25, 2017
Tags: Vietnam, the Draft, the 70's, Hair, Conscientious Objector, The Military

Author

Don Murphy
Don Murphy

Northampton, PA



About
I am a sixty-five year old male with three adult sons and a Partner of forty-five-years. I am now retired and working on several manuscripts. Some short stories are on the two websites below. In the p.. more..

Writing