Where is the home of sadness?

Where is the home of sadness?

A Poem by Humberto Abreu
"

A quick bit of prose(?) written as I waited at work; an effort to understand this sadness that often follows me like a shadow.

"
Where is the home of sadness? It lies within me. I have tried to evict it, turned off the electricity, denied it sustenance and it refuses to leave. I have forced the sun to shine, trying to blast light past the yellowed shade and the soiled green curtains. They seem a weak barrier, yet only a wan and sickly haze is allowed in.

I walk around this enigma, this hole that sucks the warmth from my world. It is an anomaly. It intrudes on the pleasant green and blue of my surroundings. It is a stain. A wound, Death. I have looked in the door and seen the room. It is filled with dry and dusty furnishings. It whispers for me to leave the sun. To rest. I hear my son playing on the hill, his voice dreamlike. Startled, I let go of the door and back away. My feet had crossed the threshold. I step backward again, crushing fragrant grass. I do not dare to turn. Again I step yet still feel the pull of the room, urging me to enter. I pump my arms and step faster, my back to the sun, my face to the shadow. I step, and step and step again as my breathing comes faster. I step as the sounds of nature and life slowly warm me.

The cabin remains a dark blot in my vision. I step, and step my muscles trembling and burning until, at last, the green begins to overpower it, until it diminishes in size and becomes a fuzzy blob.

I step until I can hear my son's laughter, now loud in my ear. I step until the curve of the hill hides the dark and oak trees spring into my view. I continue slowly until they stand like an army between me and my fear. Then finally, I stop.

I will not cross that hill again. I fear that one day that dry and dusty place will seem a refuge.

I wish to live in the sun.

I turn slowly to greet my son as tears roll down my face. They glitter like diamonds as they slide through the dust onto the green and fragrant grass.

© 2009 Humberto Abreu


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on January 9, 2009
Last Updated on January 10, 2009

Author

Humberto Abreu
Humberto Abreu

CA



About
A guy who trod the well worn road, now returned to try the one less traveled by. 48 years old, happily married father, newly minted digital artist, and a lifelong lover of books who hopes to one day w.. more..

Writing