Prepared.

Prepared.

A Story by C.J.G.
"

Preparing us for life...

"

For 13+ years, they prepare us to live, readying us for the “real world”. But what they do not know is that nothing can really prepare you. Prepare you for that first heartbreak; prepare you for the first disappointment, last disappointment. Prepare you for the harsh choices you have to make, the ones that truly tear you apart. Your heart, your soul, is going to be torn. Torn between your mind, the right, and your heart, the “wrong”. Why is it said that your heart is “wrong”, just because it is out of passion? Out of lust? The best choices, the one that truly shape you, are the done made with your heart.

           

            For 13+ years, they prepare us for life. Wrong. Is educating us on the trial between Brown vs. Board of Education preparing us for life? Is knowing how water reaches the tops of the tree readying us for ills of the real world? Does researching the effects of the Treaty of Versailles prime us for adulthood? No. We have classes on Ancient Civilization, yet not how to mend your broken heart, how to make the right choice, or knowing how to find a true gentleman. Then again, not everything can be taught, and if you agree with that, then there is no way to prepare us to live. We just need to live; both feet in and your heart open. 

© 2010 C.J.G.


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Btw, the "picture" you used. I love Snow Patrol =)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm not so sure I agree with the connection. Though it's true that schools and classes are ineffective at preparing us for the "real world" tribulations we have to face, that's not what they're designed for, so it's not fair to persecute them for it. They teach us the mannerisms of the world, how the gears turn and what makes them drive. But how we'll handle that which affects the heart and the spirit is something that needs to be experienced first hand in order to truly appreciate the extremes of emotion. There is no Handling Heartbreak For Dummies, because not everyone's heart pumps the same blood (there are songs though, lol)
But really, this is just my perception. And these are valid observations nonetheless.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is so so true. I've often thought this. The things they teach us saying we'll need them for life are often very irrelevant. How about some classes that pertain more to the reality young adults have to face when school is over? And one that trains you how to use your mind and reason so that we can deal with the things that come up that can't be taught so easily in a classroom? How to be modest and learn from our mistakes through trial and error? Nice work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is amazing, and very true. There is really no way to prepare for experiences, we just have to learn from them as they come...

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2010
Last Updated on May 10, 2010

Author

C.J.G.
C.J.G.

NY



About
Just trying to meaning in a meaningless world. more..

Writing
Underbelly Underbelly

A Poem by C.J.G.


Caves cave Caves cave

A Poem by C.J.G.


Lay Lay

A Poem by C.J.G.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Insomniac Insomniac

A Poem by JenLyn


Infinity Infinity

A Poem by C.J.G.


Butterflies Butterflies

A Poem by C.J.G.