A Mother's Bond

A Mother's Bond

A Story by A.Lee

    She wasn't there when her son was born.  She didn't even meet him until he was six months old, but the moment she saw him, his tiny fingers reached past hers and wrapped themselves tightly around her heart.  For her, there was no doubt about the extend of her love for this little boy no matter how many times other people tried to tell her differently.  They say the bond between mother and child is the strongest thing on the earth.  Is that bond, though, forged by blood?  Or by unconditional, unrestrained love? 
    She never listened when they warned her that having her own children would change her feelings.  That the bond with her self-adopted son would fade as the bond with her blood children grew.  But who are they to speak when they have never felt a love like hers?  She has three children now.  One adopted, two by blood, and all three equal in her eyes.  They all mean the entire world to her and life would be unimaginable without any one of them. 
    Why is it that people shun the things they can't explain?  If they can't fathom this kind of love, they believe it doesn't exist.  It must be impossible.  No, you'll never know it until you've felt it for yourself.  So why judge?  Any mother like her would agree.  The problem is that they are few and far between.  Its the people around her that think she's crazy.  How could she possibly love them all the same?  How could she be the first one to notice the little changes in his eyes, even before his relatives by blood?  No.  How can she possibly have the insight to know whats wrong with him before anyone else?  Can a mother's intuition surpass the link of blood?  "No," they say.  But it has.  Don't deny her her right because you do not understand.  Don't push her away because you are unable to fathom her immense capability to love.  You know nothing.  For you, it may be impossible.  But a mother's bond is forged by strength, love, and spirit.  Never by blood alone.

© 2010 A.Lee


Author's Note

A.Lee
I don't know if you'd really consider this a story. Maybe just an excerpt or a journal entry type thing. Its nothing like what I usually write, so I ask that if you review please don't review it by comparing it to my other work, but look at it on its own.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is such a beautiful, moving story... I truly think it stands alone, though I would love to read more. Your last lines bring it to a wondrous, enlightened conclusion....

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think that this is wonderful, and carries a wonderful message with it. However, I do think it could be made more concise towards the end.
All in all, another excellent yet different piece. c:

Posted 13 Years Ago


Your words are true. What we give to someone is remembered. Love of the kind people leave great memories and will be honored by a loving child. A outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
This is wonderful hon, true too, that a mothers love is more than just blood!
A moving piece of work love!
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a beautiful story. It is true that a Mother's love is simply that. There is no ascending order of her feelings for her children. As a man, I can appreciate it and know it when I see it, but I will never understand it. The love of a mother can't be stopped by anything: even the laws of physics. Women have lifted cars to save their children. Men just don't have the ability to do this. This bond is special indeed.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great write. You portrayed the position of mother perfectly. I have always hated that 'adoptive mother' label. Mother is mother regardless of the 'bloodline'

Posted 13 Years Ago


I want to just give you a hug half of the time after reading anything you write. This was a beautiful look at what makes a good mother and a great person. You make me want to cry. Great short luv....I liked it alot.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice! I know several families that have adopted children, some have natural children as well, some don't, and I've no doubt the kids couldn't be more or differently loved if they were "blood." I wish more people would consider this option.

Posted 13 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

639 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 18, 2010
Last Updated on June 18, 2010

Author

A.Lee
A.Lee

Monroe, GA



About
I am lots of things, but here you'd identify most with the writer and avid reader. I have three beautiful children. The oldest boy, Seth, passed last year after fighting a long battle with cancer. .. more..

Writing
One Thousand One Thousand

A Poem by A.Lee


Whisper Whisper

A Poem by A.Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..