Exhaustion : serious weakening and loss of energy

Exhaustion : serious weakening and loss of energy

A Story by Nicole H.
"

a paper i had to write for a class that im in. i liked how it turned out so i will let who ever wants to read it enjoy it to. it basically goes through a quick over veiw of a day in my life.

"

Exhaustion : serious weakening and loss of energy

                      -Dictionary. Com

 

            I look into my head and find nothing. It’s a blank black hole brought on by hours of work, school and a home life that consumes me. In one day I can go from being the student confident in my studies, to a patient lying in bed nursing my throbbing feet back to health.  A persons life is completely monopolized by the roles he/she plays. In turn this leads to exhaustion and the blank mind that I stare into as I sit on my couch.

            What is that noise? It physically hurts as it rips through my unconscious thoughts. The explosion in my ears slowly brings my body out of the comfortable sleep that I had wished would never end. My husband is in the kitchen already making his breakfast and lunch for the day. He yells to me “get out of bed”.  The next thing I feel is the icy wet noise of my fourteen pound dog as he nudges me to take him outside. The blankets feel so warm and the bed so soft, why do I have to get up so early again?  Oh that’s right I have to make money so I can pay the bills.

            As I walk out the door an hour  and four cups of strong coffee later I feel more alert and almost ready to start my day. I climb into the car and realize that I already have a stain on my white scrub pants. What a wonderful start to this car ride that is no doubt to be filled with traffic. I turn the key and give my engine life. After that the stereo is blaring with anything that is up beat enough to keep me awake. Then off to work I go.

            I open the door and am immediately greeted with the sound of screaming children and the cackle of nurses laughing at what I’m sure was am amusing joke. At this point I remember that I really didn’t have to be here today but do I ever need that paycheck. I say my good mornings, grab a chart, put my stethoscope around my neck and I’m off and running.

            Eight hours later I find myself changing and doing my makeup in a bathroom that possibly has less room to walk around in than a port-a-john. Sweaty and smelling like a doctors office I try with every once of body spray and oh so calming deodorant to banish the smell so I can be five minutes late to my next job. With limited success I am on the road again, barley put together enough to feel slightly fashionable to work at a clothing store in the mall for five hours. A quick stop at the closest fast food chain to grab a most unsatisfying meal then of to work to be, as I predicted, five minutes late. I walk in to the store and my manager asks “what happened?”. I can only lie and say there was a car accident on Buckley and hope that she doesn’t watch the news. I clock in and the day begins all over again it feels like.

            Five hour later as I bring down the gate to close the store the work is only half over. As I run around like a dieing chicken in a butcher house I can only think of all the work I have to do when I get home that evening. I have to write a paper,  write out two chapters worth of notes and do laundry so my husband has a uniform to ware to work the next day. My feet are already throbbing from being in the typical mobile position all day long. I finish my work, clock out and walk out into the cold air which is a welcome sensation after hours of being close to heat stroke under the hot lights in the store.  I say goodbye to my fellow workers and get in my car and drive off. If only I lived a little closer to home I could be soaking my feet in hot water right now.

            I pull up to my house with the music still blaring even though it’s eleven at night. What’s good enough to keep me awake in the morning is an even better sleep fighter at night. I open the door to my home and immediately hear the sound of claws clanking on the linoleum floor in the hallway. Around the corner comes my saving grace in all his furry glory. This dog, my baby, the one happy face that never goes away brings a smile to mine. I put my bags down and throw a load of laundry into the washer. I go into the bedroom to get into my pj’s and find my husband already asleep with the TV still on his favorite show. Sleep is calling my name as I see him laying there and I forget about all the homework that is due and lay down next to him. As I turn off the TV I have that releif of stretching out onto the most comfortable thing in the world. This bed, this blanket and my perfect pillow with the dent of my head already in the right place brings me back to the comfort of the morning. My wonderful dog is curling up at my feet already as I only lower myself to my pillow. I close my eyes and drift to a blank wonderful sleep.

            The explosion in my ears brings my body out of its unconscious state. Does this really have to happen every morning?

© 2008 Nicole H.


Author's Note

Nicole H.
i know the grammer is not the best so just go over content not technicalities. thanks

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The pic caught my attention for this write... :) Then I got started reading and could not stop!
Grammar aside, the content was wonderful! I commend you completely for working hard, carrying two jobs and going to school so achieve your goals. Thank you for sharing a day in your life to inspire others. :)
You may believe that you are just describing a day in your life.. and thinking "Geez, just 5 more minutes next to the hubby to sleep, would be just heaven!" But from a reader's point of view it is encouraging ink!

I wish you the best and luck in all you do! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 19, 2008

Author

Nicole H.
Nicole H.

Great Mistakes, IL



About
hello, im just here to get some ideas and feedback. im in the process of writing a childrens book. so give me some ideas people! more..

Writing