But It May Not Last

But It May Not Last

A Poem by Colleen A

Water can flow,
but it can freeze too; don't forget that.
Stones can build an entire empire,
but one small stone can be enough to leave you blind; don't forget that.
Tears can express and release,
but they can blur your vision and view of the world; don't forget that.

Treasure the good, but do not pretend like it is all good. There is always a price.
There is always a catch.
Nothing new appears without the disappearance of something else.
Hold on dearly to the calm after the storm,
but know that there will always be another storm to come.

Know what you have, and one day you will find out exactly what it was worth.
What it cost. 
It could be at anytime that you find out what it was worth to have that comfort in your life.
Until then, all you can do is treasure it.
Don't forget that.

© 2015 Colleen A


Author's Note

Colleen A
This is my first go-around on this website, and pretty much my first time showing anybody my personal writings. Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like and enjoyed your poetry. Strong logic and good words.
"Know what you have, and one day you will find out exactly what it was worth.
What it cost. "
I agree with the lines above. Very good wisdom in the outstanding poetry.
Coyote.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Colleen A

9 Years Ago

Thank you I appreciate it!
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.



Reviews

A good poetic exploration of impermanence, also an admonition to appreciate but not be attached.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like and enjoyed your poetry. Strong logic and good words.
"Know what you have, and one day you will find out exactly what it was worth.
What it cost. "
I agree with the lines above. Very good wisdom in the outstanding poetry.
Coyote.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Colleen A

9 Years Ago

Thank you I appreciate it!
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.
Colleen, welcome here. This little poem of yours tickled me, made me smile. take some pride in it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

See what u have u ll never know what it worth until its gone .....

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is obvious from reading your work that you are intelligent and philosophically apt. You word choices and descriptive powers give this poem a spiritual feel without being preachy and that is not easy to do. Bravo! I look forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Colleen A

9 Years Ago

I'm really glad you enjoyed this and didn't think it was too wordy or preachy. Thank you, I'll be su.. read more
WoW!!!
beautiful message........
very well written.....
reminded me of a saying in India, which roughly translates as "to gain something......you also have to loose something....."

beautiful poem.......
i liked it!!!
:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Colleen A

9 Years Ago

That saying just about sums up exactly what I was trying to get across, I'm glad you mentioned it. T.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 24, 2015
Last Updated on April 24, 2015
Tags: poetry, nonfiction, love, loss, time

Author

Colleen A
Colleen A

Boston, MA



About
I'm a college freshman who is currently grasping for ideas for what I want to do with my life. My major is Computer Science but I'm considering Communications. In complete disclosure, I literally am s.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Broken Mirror Broken Mirror

A Story by pia