3 Moons

3 Moons

A Story by nevershoutnever.
"

What would you do if you awoke to being held hostage on some fantasy island? Regan fights. Fights for survival. Fights for her memories. Fights for sanity from everything she's ever known.

"

3:42. Are those really just numbers showing the time of day? Or do they signify the time we have left in our lives? Telling us to live the life we were given, before they’re cut short?

Time. Is it just an illusion? Gravity is what holds us down to Earth. Or is it? Love is just a symbol of feeling for that special someone, right?

Sunshine. The light in our lives whose purpose is too enlighten us day after day and rejoices during the night. Moonbeams. The only peek of color during the cold nights filled with dark creatures and things unknown.

What if all these questions and statements could be defied and riles were bendable? Who would tighten their grasp on the opportunity and who would let it slide through their fingers like air and water?

It could be, though science may prove me wrong, that one another balances out the different elements within our world.

Outside. Outside was pure horror, a living hell. A smug, polluted layer of fog was spread out all over. Everywhere. From the north to the South Pole. From the island of Hawaii to the state they called Florida.

Seeing this . . .seeing this put a wound so deep, that was practically impossible to mend, in my heart.

 Factories covered the land with the smoke killing everything in its path. All the fish were gone; most people either starved to death or committed suicide on our little island called Braggadocio. Sadly, most were parents. Kids wandered the streets constantly scared and afraid. I was one of them, but I guess you could consider me rather lucky compared to others.

Friends. Life long companions or short-time buds. Either way, you have them when needed. They weren’t really my ideal “companions,” but I loved them anyways. What happened was . . . I was on my way, minding my own business, clinging to myself, when I collided with an old man with a basket of stuff that now lay on the ground. He wore a long hooded, blue-grey cloak and I watched as his eyes grew wide and jaw dropped a little as our eyes met. I turned to run, but the old-cooke dropped his stuff, again, and grasped my wrist. Hard. I was yanked to a cave by the sea with a blindfold, and a piece of cloth over my mouth that forbade me to speak, on. Thrown on the ground, a woman stood and walked over to the man I presumed as her husband. I rolled over and saw a teenage boy standing above me. Then, I was knocked out cold. Just. Like. That.

I awoke- who knows how much later- in a large plain of fresh grass. Sitting up and glancing around, I saw no one anywhere near me. I lay back down and stared up at the sky. It was a collision of pink and green with three moons in a diagonal fashion. Clouds with swirls of purple filled the sky, as well as surrounded the air.

In one swift movement, a thick layer of what seemed like fog covered the area. The sky was no longer visible and neither was anything else. Barely. I spun around, as I heard rustling from everywhere, yet nowhere, at once.

A dark shady figure stepped out of the shadows and into my mini “bubble” of myself. It was a person with a red bandana covering their mouth. They had a red and black armor on with a bow and arrow in hand. A blood red bandana covered their mouth. The arrow �" why am I not surprised? - was pointed towards me. My first thought . . .? This can’t be good.

The figure lowered his weapon and raised his hands above his head into a clap. The fog instantly disappeared. He removed the cloth, revealing his face to me. The person had midnight black hair with diamond blue eyes. Why does he look so familiar? I wondered.

He raised his weapon to me again, and I took a big step back. A huge man, dressed similar to the one in front of me, blocked me. “Who are you?” he questioned. “And why are you here?”

Rolling my eyes, I spat out, “Believe me, I would like to know that just as much as you do.” He raised his arrow more towards my face and I muttered, “I don’t remember a lot of what happened. All I know is I was shopping in my local market, and poof! Here I am.”

The guy with the arrow chuckled and lowered his weapon; he motioned for the big man behind me to set me upon my feet again. “Ay, Boss.”

“Boss, eh?” I said. “Boss of what?”

He met eye contact with the big man and, you could tell, was trying to decide was their next move was. He stopped laughing and responded with a straight face and his arrow swinging by his side, “That is classified information. Now, please, come with me.”

I sighed, went along with my captivity and tried to make little dialogue. “I never got your name,” I told the arrow-guy, who was walking in front of me while Big Man held my hands together behind my back.

“Jinxx,” he said without turning around for eye contact.

I grinned, and began to perform the ‘nice girl’ act, “Jinxx? That’s a nice name.”

Jinxx led us through a forest filled with over twenty feet tall oak trees, pine trees, redwood trees. You name them; they are there. I glanced up; the sky was a musky red. There wasn’t any clouds or a sun or a moon, moons in this case, just a big red blotch that obviously covered a wide range. Jinxx kept staring into the red skies what seemed like every five or so minutes. Occasionally, he looked back at Big Man and made short eye contact-conversation, never any eye contact with me, though. I’m not sure how I feel about that. What would I see inside his eyes? Fear? Torment? Misery? The options seemed endless. The world, this world, must be full of opportunities, for anything to go right. And for anything to go wrong in the slightest occasion.

My stomach roared with hunger pains. Jinxx and Big Man seemed 100 percent oblivious to them. “Ahem . . .” I choked out a fake cough. Nothing. Not even a whisper. “AHEM!” I yelled.

“Wait,” Jinxx said, halting to a stop with his arms placed and a way that made it as if he wanted to keep from losing his balance. “Big Man,” Jinxx pointed towards me, “put her somewhere she can’t escape and get into position.” I just barely noticed the fright in his voice.

“What? What’s going on?” I shouted to him as Big Man carried my by my shoulders to a tree trunk. “I need to kno----ow!” Big Man threw me up into the trees. I guess he either knows what he is doing, or has really good aim. I held onto the branch that I landed on with my life. My stomach was facing downwards, which meant I could see everything that was going on. Including how high I was off the ground.

Big Man and Jinxx were against each other, back to back, walking around in circles repeatedly. An arrow was shot and glided through the air, how like an eagle soars with the wind. Big Man sliced the arrow in half with a hidden dagger. Soon, a large rumble caused the ground to shake. We were under attack.

My arms were rapped so tightly around the thin branch that my hands began to turn white. I could feel my face burning up with anticipation and turning bright red. Then again, I felt so helpless and vulnerable that leads to me being scared out of my wits and my face colored white.

I watched the fight. Jinxx and Big Man were fighting men in black and army blue uniforms that had spikes on the shoulders. Their helmets had the same blue as a rim with miniature spikes. The weapons they used were giant spears and regular swords. A loud noise came from below and I saw a burst of red and yellow mixed. Was that . . . thoughts flowed through my mind as I processed what I thought I saw, . . . a freaking flamethrower!

My eyes darted from Big Man to the enemies and then to Jinxx. I studied their maneuvers, saw how they fought, attacked and retreated. Even though our enemies out numbered us by quite a few, they retreated with little wounded men.

As they scurried away, I slid down from my wobbling branch to the trunk of the big oak tree. “Guys,” I started saying, “Who were they?”

“They call themselves the Demon Kings,” Jinxx said, answering my question.

Still puzzled, I added, “And why were they attacking us?”

Big Man pulled me backwards and held me up against him with his dagger along my neck. Jinxx got real close up, in my face, and said, “Listen. You don’t know us. We don’t know you, and hopefully never will, with that fat mouth of yours.” He started backing away, “Oh, and you don’t want to know us.”

I scoffed. “Look’s like im stuck with you, nimrods, until I’m not held against my will anymore!”

Jinxx chuckled, “Look. Keep your mouth shut. No questions asked. We will get along smoothly.”

Big Man removed the knife from my neck and threw me onto the leaf-covered ground. “Was that really necessary?” I smirked, trying to hide the pain from appearing on my face. All Big Man did was nod, no expression was shown on his face.

© 2011 nevershoutnever.


Author's Note

nevershoutnever.
I started to write this for my dad for a gift, but it just took off on it's own course.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

An exciting and interesting story. There are a few grammatical issues in there, but I'm sure a read-through will clear those out.

The only thing I can complain about though, is the poetic beginning; it doesn't fit with the rest of the story. You should either cut it up and spread it throughout the story, or remove it. (Not that it is bad, but as I said, it doesn't fit the rest of the story). Good writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 4, 2011
Last Updated on July 4, 2011

Author

nevershoutnever.
nevershoutnever.

Royal Oak, MI



About
I started to write a big paragraph about my life, but who would read it? Emma: thirteen; unable to make decisions; curious; fidgety; OCD - maybe; loving; too caring; kind-heart; humorous; bubbly; t.. more..

Writing