It wasn't me!

It wasn't me!

A Screenplay by Ama May Cooper
"

Convict on death row.

"

It wasn't me!

Cast list

 Convict - James Evermoore

 

Two prison guards - Adam, Frank

 

Miscellaneous Guard

 

Wife - Linett Evermoore

 

Farther & Mother - Jillian and Bruce Evermoore


Police officer

 

 

 

 

INT. PRISON CELL - 3PM TUESDAY 23RD JULY 2011


Small Grey cell box room large heavy metal gate. There is a bed against the back wall with a toilet at the end of it and a sink on the adjacent wall. Floor is un-carpeted and grey much alike the walls. There is a prisoner in a cell , sitting in the middle of the floor crying his knee's against his chest and his head in his knees. There is a gurney being wheeled down the corridor past his cell that you cannot see but can hear being wheeled along the corridor. The camera is focused on him crying from the start. There is a 20 second focus on the convict, crying and sobbing in the center before dialogue starts. Convict is in an orange jumpsuit his hair unkempt.


CONVICT - JAMES

(Crying)

This can't be happening... I wouldn't....I couldn't..


You hear the gurney getting closer and closer till it is right outside the prisoner's door, his head snaps sideways too look at the door his eyes widening.

 

CONVICT - JAMES

(Terrified and defeated)

No

 

Convict falls silent motionless staring at the door. He stays in the same place in the middle of the floor curled up with just his head extended toward the door.

 

 

INT. PRISON CORRIDOR - 3:05PM TUESDAY 23RD JULY 2011


Long grey corridor with square lights along the top one in the middle flickers occasionally, There are 3 cell doors along each side of the corridor. 2nd on the right being the one the convict resides in. The camera starts by focusing on the gurney's wheels then slowly pans out to the gurney going up the corridor and two prison guards either side holding it as it is wheeled up the corridor, you can hear the wheels of the gurney turning. you can see a door at the end of the corridor that the gurney is going toward. Camera is still behind watching them go into the door. Once both people are through the door and neither they nor the gurney in site screen fades to black. Instantly reveals room.

 

 INT. PRISON EXECUTION ROOM - 3:07PM TUESDAY 23RD JULY 2011


Blackout lasts for 1 second before scene starts. Plain room with white brick walls a black and white regular clock sits on the back wall and ticking quietly slightly off center on the wall. The room is spotlessly clean and a bright light is directly in the middle. The two prison guards from previous scene push the gurney into the middle of the room in complete silence, exchanging occasional glances. They are equally placed at either side. On the right side of the room against the wall there is a trolley with a few tissues neatly placed on it. Against the back wall in the center is the lethal injection machine. On the left side of the room there is a small viewing box with a glass sheet in front of it to which family members and observers can sit and view the execution. Once they are done setting up they begin discussing the event and the events that have led up to what it is about to happen.

 

PRISON GUARD 1 - ADAM

Can you believe it though? His own daughter, I don’t understand how you can look your kid in the eye and do anything but care for it.

 

PRISON GUARD 2 - FRANK

You gotta wonder why he did it though, what drove him to it? I mean it’s hardly the kind of thing you do off a wim is it?

 

PRISON GUARD 1 - ADAM

Nah I suppose not, but what reason would you have to kill your own kid?

 

PRISON GUARD 2 - FRANK

I dunno do I? Guys probably got a few screws loose. Poor little tyke probably had no idea what was coming to her, one minute she's minding her own business, next minute she's dead in the back garden.

 

PRISON GUARD 1 -ADAM

I just think there must of been some reason, people don’t just wake up one morning and decide to kill their kids do they?

 

PRISON GUARD 2-FRANK

I already said I don’t know. Why don’t you ask the guy if you’re so curious he'll be in here in a minute?

 

PRISON GUARD 1 - ADAM

I’d rather not

 

 

 

INT. CORRIDOR - 3:10PM TUESDAY 23RD JULY 2011


Camera looks down corridor from doorway of execution room. Frank is seen from behind walking away and down the corridor toward the prisoner’s cell. The only sounds are his feet along the floor and the ticking of the clock that is becoming gradually louder. Frank reaches the man’s cell and you hear the keys in the lock. The door creaks loudly and you briefly see Frank disappear into the room, when he returns he is slowly leading a man with handcuffs back up the corridor.

 

CONVICT - JAMES

You can't seriously believe I would do this? I’m innocent, this is nonsense. 

(Turns face toward the guard.

Please you have to understand, she's my daughter. I’d never lay a finger on her.

 

PRISON GUARD - FRANK

The court would beg to differ Mr Evermoore or you wouldn't be in this predicament.

 

Frank roughly yanks the prisoner toward him and continues to aggressively drag him along the corridor, while ambles along behind, looking fearful knowing for well of his fate. Both characters are walking toward the camera. Once they reach the door instant black out.

 

 

INT. OBSERVATION ROOM - 3:14PM TUESDAY 23RD JULY 2011


A small room, with drab walls. Rough brown carpet and blue plastic seating. The lighting is dim and the glass window in front of which to view through is a little grubby. In front of the camera facing the gurney and facing away from the camera is the convict’s mother and farther sitting in the chairs, (Jillian and Bruce Evermoore) and his wife (Linett Evermoore). There is a guard standing just behind the camera next to a door. You can see the execution room through the glass screen Convict is struggling against Frank and Adam who are pinning him onto the execution gurney. The noise of the clock is audible but muffled nothing else can be heard of the sound of what is going on behind the glass.

 

JILLIAN

There must be something we can do. We can't just sit by and watch them kill our son.

 

BRUCE

And what about our grandchild? What about that little girl that he killed?

 

JILLIAN

What if he didn't do it? What if they got something wrong? Bruce he's your son what happens if it turns out that he didn't do and he's telling the truth?

 

BRUCE

He's convicted. He's guilty. He wouldn't have been convicted if there wasn't substantial evidence.

 

INT. PRISON EXECUTION ROOM - 3:16PM TUESDAY 23RD JULY 2011


Camera instantly switches position to the opposite wall back in the execution room with the observation room now in the background of the scene. Frank and Adam are now still struggling to strap the convict to the chair. Clock changes volume with convict’s voice and is speeding up.

 

CONVICT

(Pleading)

Please I didn't kill her.

 

Camera flashes to right arm strap being tightened onto his wrist. Then to close up of convicts face. The clock gets louder still.

 

CONVICT

(Getting erratic and panicky)

You have to believe me.

 

Camera flashes to left arm strap being tightened onto his wrist. Then back to wide shot from left of the room.. The clock is now loud enough that it is the same volume in which the convict is shouting.


CONVICT

(Shouting on the verge of tears)

I’m an innocent man.

 

As convict is strapped into gurney all energy and fight goes out of him and he lays completely still. Frank and Adam step back from the gurney.

 

CONVICT - JAMES

(Just audibly)

You have to believe me, I wouldn't kill her , that child is my life.



ADAM

That's what they all say. Hardly likely to tell us you've gone and done it now are ya. Not if you wanted to get away with it.



CONVICT - JAMES

(Breaks down)

I didn't do it though, you don’t understand. I swear it wasn't me.

 

INT. OBSERVATION ROOM - 3:20PM TUESDAY 23RD JULY 2011


Camera is placed in front of the glass within the observation room giving the view of the full observation room and all people inside it. His parents and wife sit on the watching. Parents are upset anguish written on their faces. Wife watches intently. Mother begins to weep into a small handkerchief.

 

JILLIAN

(Distraught)

I can't believe this is happening

 

Camera flashes back to prisoner who is now completely strapped. You can see through the glass that the prisoner is clearly screaming but cannot hear what is being said.

Two drips are swiftly but carefully attached to his arms. Convicts knuckles tense as the needle is brought toward his skin and he winces slightly on insertion.

 

CUT TO INSIDE EXECUTION ROOM:

 

CONVICT - JAMES

(Beginning to cry)

Please, just give me one more chance. You’re killing an innocent man

 

Frank and Adam now move toward the machine and start to ensure that it is all wired up correctly. Before turning to face James as he now lies still weeping.

 

PRISON GUARD - ADAM

(Whispered to Frank)

What if he is innocent?

 

PRISON GUARD - FRANK

(Replied in hushed tones)

Don’t be silly. The courts don’t convict innocent men

 

Frank flips the switch on the machine to administer the first chemical.

 

INT. OBSERVATION ROOM - 3:30PM TUESDAY 23RD JULY 2011


Camera is facing the individuals within the room. The convict’s mother has buried her face in her husband’s lap and is in hysterical tears, while the farther watches frozen in shock. The wife begins to fidget in her chair.

 

LINETT

(Emotionless)

I don’t think I can watch this

 

Convicts mother sits up make up running down her face, and turns round to look at Linett.

 

JILLIAN

He didn't do it. I just know, mother's instinct my son isn't like that. He couldn't be, this is just wrong.

 

BRUCE

(Looking sad)

Now now Jillian there's no use denying it, it was proven that she died by his hands, and as much as it pains me to lose both my son and my granddaughter in such a small space of time. It's a just punishment.

 

JILLIAN

Oh Bruce don’t, don’t pull all this lawyer bullshit. Not now, your son, your own flesh and blood is dying before your eyes and you’re sitting here like a heartless monster. Don’t you have any form of compassion at all.(Bursts into another bout of tears)

 

LINETT

I feel sick

 

BRUCE

I’m sorry Jillian, I care it’s just I can’t get my head round all this.

 

Jillian tenses her knuckles, but turns back to the morbid scene in front of her as we witness the application of the second chemical. Convicts body falls still. Bruce grabs hold of Jillian's hand tightly and she loosens her knuckles to allow his fingers to slip between her's. Bruce is heard letting out a sigh as the final chemical is administered.

 

BRUCE

(Standing up)

It's over now

 

LINETT

He's gone.

 

Bruce steps closer to the glass, and raises his hand to touch it. His head hangs low and there are thin tear lines streaming down his cheeks.

 

BRUCE

(A hint of anger in his voice)

Why? What on earth were you thinking?

 

The guard coughs to gain attention. Bruce quickly wipes his eyes and turns to face the guard.

 

MISCELLANEOUS GUARD

(Holding the door open)

If you would like, you can enter the room now.


 

INT. PRISON EXECUTION ROOM - 3:37PM TUESDAY 23RD JULY 2011


Parents and wife stand over the convict’s body. He looks almost like he is sleeping. Jillian is once again crying while Bruce is dabbing sheepishly at the corner of his eyes. Linett is looking incredibly pale staring straight at her dead husband’s body.

 

JILLIAN

(Stepping forward to brush the hair from her sons face)

I believed you, I want you to know that James. No matter what the court says, no matter what anyone has to say. You’re my son I know you’re not like that.

 

EXIT. JILLIAN AT A LIGHT JOG

EXIT. BRUCE FOLLOWING

 

Linett stands shaking slightly at a distance from the corpse. Her hand suddenly covers her mouth. She stares at her dead husband for a while before turning and making for the door looking very shaken.


EXIT. LINETT

 

INT. CORRIDOR -POLICE STATION - 1:15PM THURSDAY 25TH JULY 2011


Camera is facing side on to a doorway. Looking down empty corridor with beige walls. There are windows along the hallway allowing the rooms to be seen from the hallway. Windows are white rimmed. Floor is a blue lino.

 

ENTER. LINETT 


Linett is walking slowly, head down, her hands are interlocked at her waist and she is rolling her thumbs over each other. She looks distracted and nervous

 

She is wrapped in a long black coat that is tied together at her waist. She is wearing red high heels that make a very loud clacking noise as she walks down the hallway. Linett walks down the hallway toward the camera, turning off into a room just before she gets to the camera.

 

POLICE OFFICER

You wanted to see me Mrs Evermoore?

 

Mrs Evermoore’s shadow can be seen on the wall pacing back and forth in an erratic manner. Voices are heard clearly there is no distortion.

 

LINETT

Yes. Regarding my recently deceased husband.

 

POLICE OFFICER

Please take a seat.

 

A chair is heard being moved for her to sit on. And the shadow of Mrs Evermoore vanishes from view.

 

POLICE OFFICER

What exactly is the problem Mrs Evermoore?

 

LINETT

I feel he may have been falsely accused and convicted for a crime he never committed.

 

POLICE OFFICER

I don’t quite understand Mrs Evermoore, was it not you who reported the crime in the first place and named your husband as the murderer.

 

LINETT

Yes… Yes it was.

 

POLICE OFFICER

I think I’m missing the point here, what exactly is it you have come here to tell me today?

 

CUT TO:


INT. INTERVIEW ROOM -POLICE STATION - 1:15PM THURSDAY 25TH JULY 2011


The room is quite basic; a filing cabinet sits in the corner with a small potted plant resting on top of it. There is a desk with a computer on it behind which the officer is sitting and across the table from him sits Linett Evermoore, she is clearly distressed about something. The walls are a pale blue color and the carpet a light red. Mrs Evermoore looks down and becomes completely silent.

 

POLICE OFFICER

Mrs Evermoore please, I don’t have all day. If you have something to tell me it would be in your best interests to say it now and get it out of the way.

 

Linett looks down at her lap and starts twiddling her thumbs.There is a long silence before Linett  says anything.

 

LINETT

I know it wasn’t him

 

POLICE OFFICER

You know?

 

LINETT

(Shaky)

Yes I know, it can’t possibly have been him

 

POLICE OFFICER

And how do you know this Mrs Evermoore?


Linett looks up and she stares intently at the officer.


 LINETT

Because. It was me officer.


INT. PRISON CORRIDOR - 12:30PM MONDAY 29TH JULY 2011


Two lights along the corridor are now flashing as if broken and the clock can be heard as if in the distance. Linett Evermoore is being led down the corridor. She walks with her bowed, she is led by Frank. Both make a slow and silent journey down the corridor. She is hand cuffed and in a jump suit.


INT. EXECUTION ROOM - 12:33PM MONDAY 29TH JULY 2011


Camera pans room allowing you to see the empty observation room and all the equipment once again. After a few seconds the camera beings to zoom in on Linett Evermoore who is cold and still and dead. After 3 seconds fade to black out.

 

RUN CREDITS.

© 2012 Ama May Cooper


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

354 Views
Added on September 27, 2012
Last Updated on December 20, 2012

Author

Ama May Cooper
Ama May Cooper

London, south west, United Kingdom



About
Name: Ama may cooper Current age(when joined):16 Sex: female Age now: 27 I am merely a being, treading softly on these foreign lands. I am no great individual, no wise king or beautiful temptres.. more..

Writing
... ...

A Story by Ama May Cooper


Leonis Leonis

A Story by Ama May Cooper