Bone Leaves

Bone Leaves

A Story by Casey N
"

An extremely short story with a chilling twist

"

It was not a cold night. There was no breeze. I could hear the crunch of the leaves from under my sneakers. The sound was crisp and carried through the still air. With each step it was a loud and unending crackle. It was almost too loud for my liking, it sounded like bones being broken, and I began to walk more cautiously and lightly. My car had no condensation on it, and thus I didn’t have to wipe my hand on my jeans after I opened the door.

The car came to life with the turn of the key. The lights opened up the night. I was glad to be driving again, it had been nearly six months since I was able to drive a car. My right leg still didn’t work like it used to. But no matter. I just need to keep on keepin’ on.

I pulled out of my driveway, making a left turn using only one hand. I neglected to use my blinker, figuring there was no need since it was about 4:30 am on a Sunday. My car and the road felt so perfectly in tune together. They were two jigsaw pieces that had finally connected. The road I lived on was named Brook Street.

I accelerated to about 45 miles an hour and drove down Brook Street for a mile or so. I hated living so far from any gas station. All I wanted was a pack of cigarettes. You would think in a town as big as this one a gas station would be nearby.

I left the radio off. I wanted to be alone with my thoughts.

I came to a red light. My eyes began to tire. I rubbed them vigorously, I only needed to stay awake for a little while longer. Once I got the cigarette it would wake me up for sure.

The light turn green, and I lightly pressed the gas. I was too exhausted to floor it.

The other car smashed into me without hesitation. I remember holding my hand up, attempting to shield my eyes from their blinding headlights. My car contorted to the impact and I could feel my body twist in all different directions. The impact knocked the wind out of me.

I woke up sitting down on the road. I looked down at my throbbing arm. The bone stuck out like a skewed painting. I touched it, it was hard and solid like a rock. I tasted blood in my mouth. It tasted like liquid pennies. The only light was the faint moonlight and the intersection about 100 feet behind me.

The air remained still. I will never forget how silent it was. As I got up, I heard the leaves under me crack. 

© 2017 Casey N


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on September 27, 2017
Last Updated on September 27, 2017
Tags: Horror

Author

Casey N
Casey N

Orlando, FL



Writing
Shark (Attack) Shark (Attack)

A Story by Casey N