"No more", they said, "No more"

"No more", they said, "No more"

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

@ 1930, and true. My Nan's father. She could barely bring herself to utter his name.

"
Last breath he took upon a bench,
the stench of liquor on his lips.
A selfish drunk who could not see
the harm inflicted painfully
on those he left dirt poor.

So cold the corpse at dawn in death.
Much colder still the ice-skimmed pond,
and frozen stiff the hearts of those
that cursed the way of life he chose.
"No more", they said. "No more".

© 2018 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

This is such a powerful piece, spiced with rich, impactful diction.
You've done a wonderful job with this one.

All the best,

Lanny

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks for your lovely review Lanny. All good wishes.

Chris
The tragedy of a chaotic lifestyle bourne from alcohol and self-abandonment. Even more poignant when it was an ancestor you have poetically highlighted. They said 'no more'' but the story still remains with us today - I sad share ... :-)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Phill. I know more about him probably than my Nan did because of my delving into our ances.. read more
It would be interesting to know more about this tragedy, which is apparently a true story. The pain from the event still lingers in the words, a product of the vivid imagery.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks for your review John. Your thoughts very much appreciated.

Chris
Wow, Chris, this is harsh, raw, deep and heartwrenching, truth. I can so easily relate to as can others. Alcoholics really are selfish souls. Who will do anything for a drink? To ease their own sufferings. And forget about anyone else. And leave them to lick their own wounds alone. Regards to the effect they have caused towards others. With their drinking. Epic reality check Chris. How someone who is addicted to booze. Can ruin their own life, let alone others close to them. And be banished or killed due to drink. Really admire your honesty and openness Chris on this one. As talking about deep wounds that hurt like this. Is not always easy to do.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Dawn for your very thoughtful response. Take care

Chris
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Have seen a few good men lose all to the demon drink. Not for me, 1 hangover and I'm off the sauce for weeks on end.
One of my closest friends freely admits that if he had the disposable income to drink heavily everyday he would be on it full tilt, that doesn't compute with me.
Another fine piece of writing Christine, or should that be, yet another fine piece of writing.
Hope your tights haven't been blown off :))

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Gee. Yes, many have gone this way and they hurt many others in the process. Windy weathe.. read more
This is really exceptional. Captures the essence of all we believe addiction to be, and the utter futility of our beliefs

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Lyn for your visit. All good wishes.

Chris
Addiction and ruin are close bedfellows.

It's not limited to just booze or the other more obvious things of course.

It's a personality trait that is terminally selfish, for all involved no matter why or what. It might even seem admirable at first... but it always leads to ruin in the end.

You've written the essence of this quite nicely with brevity. (I think so anyway, sometimes I assume I know what people are talking about but in reality have no idea).


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you David. I appreciate your visit and response.

Chris
Davidgeo

5 Years Ago

It's always my pleasure when it comes to you
I think you have done the right thing Christine in keeping this short and being very explicit. The repeat use of frozen is very effective. There is a lot of story untold here - the back story of your Nan's father and then how this awful incident rippled down through the family. In my family my grandparent on my mothers side and then my mum and her brother were all teetotal and I have often wondered if there is a tale to tell.
This poem is really great!
Enjoy Christmas!
Alan

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Hello Alan. Thanks for checking in and yes, there is much background story untold here. I have to sa.. read more
Quite a sorry situation
alcohol, drugs, weed, they grab the nose and take the lead
Death is a radical solution
Dave B

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Life is all about choice and some make some really dumb choices which have a huge impact on the life.. read more
This is touching but sadly, I've seen it happen here as well, where someone's passing away actually brought relief to their family more than grief..
Strong write, this one.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dr Y. I'm sure it happens more than we care to think. The way some conduct their lives thr.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

883 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 13, 2018
Last Updated on December 13, 2018

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Long after... Long after...

A Poem by Gee