"Godly Planning"

"Godly Planning"

A Story by Cassie Weller
"

Devotion on planning for the future while still living one day at a time. From #SomethingMore at http://www.cassieweller.com/devotions/godly-planning.

"

I am a self-diagnosed "planner girl". That's right- no medical expertise necessary to see that I have a problem... with planning. Many of you may not know what a "planner girl" is; trust me, it's a thing. Essentially, it's when you realize the vital importance of scheduling your days and to-do's in order to not forget anything and be efficient. However, I (and I know many of you) take it to a whole new level when we have our precious planners complete with daily/monthly calendars, page markers, post its, paper clips, and even stickers to coordinate and complete the ensemble. It's a sickness really. All in good organizing fun though. The problem, as I see it, is when planning stops becoming a way of organizing your life, and starts becoming more important than the LIVING of your life. Make sense? Follow me on this- it's about to get spiritual. 

Even before I knew what a Franklin Covey, Erin Condren, Kate Spade, or kikki.K was, I had an itch to dream, plan, and organize my life. (My home does not always reflect this obsession, but alas- I did not day dream of organizing toys and laundry but thoughts and to-do lists.) I believe it is great and absolutely Biblical to set goals and "count the cost" in regards to our lives. After all, we are stewards of this life we've been given and we need to attack each day with the best we have to offer, right? So, I see nothing wrong with dreaming, planning, and even decorating if it helps you look at your lists- but when your plans become your goals and your lists become your life- it's time to take a step back. Here's the spiritual part:

God has a plan and purpose for each of our lives, and every DAY of our lives, if we belong to Him (if you don't, email or message me- I'll tell you how to get in the game). Jeremiah 29:11 says;
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” 
{Just a little disclaimer here- this does not mean everything always works out peachy-keen for the Christians of this world. It DOES mean, however, that God knows what He's going to do with our lives and if we let Him have the reigns- it... is... going... to... ROCK!}
So, God knows what He wants to do with our lives. We can plan the best we are able, relying on His Spirit in us to guide and lead where we need to go; ultimately though, it's His will that we REALLY want to be done, right? Right. 

Herein lies the rub... when we OVER-plan and keep something in our minds that God may not have put there, or even put there- but for a later time, we tighten our spiritual grip on a future that God has not promised us yet! We may be daydreaming of a "someday" when God simply wants us to focus on TO-DAY! We cannot get so caught up in the way we think things are supposed to go, that we miss the very reason God may be telling us to do it!

Here's an example:

Let's pretend you were blessed with an amazing singing voice that you know in your gut is meant to be used for God's glory. Great! Now imagine that God told you to go sing on a street corner with a microphone and speaker, to the best of your ability. Fantastic! This is your chance right?! I bet you can picture it now, tons of people will walk or drive by, the Spirit will move and draw them to that corner. You can just picture the tears flowing as the gift God has given you is used to bring other people closer to Him. You're excited, you're ready, you've planned and prepared, this is your time! As you step out onto the street corner with microphone in hand, you begin to sing the best you absolutely can for the glory of God. As you sing though, you realize that no cars are driving past. There are no pedestrians; not even shopkeepers are outside to hear. You are there, alone, singing to an empty street. Thirty minutes later- still an empty street. 

Do you keep singing?

Do you stop singing, eyes filled with tears of frustration and embarrassment because you must have misunderstood what you thought God was telling you to do?

Have you had a situation similar to this? 

Why would God do that? Maybe He really didn't, and you simply misheard what you believed to be the leading of the Spirit. 

It's SO easy to give up or get discouraged when our "plans" don't go the way we think they were supposed to. ESPECIALLY when we believe God told us to do it and we truly had holy motives. It just doesn't seem fair does it? However, God whispered a little something to me regarding this... He never said there would be people around. He never said that this was the moment where your gift would be used to most glorify Him to throngs of people. He told you to go sing. I truly believe that there are many times in life where, although we think we have failed or misstepped, He tells us to do something simply to see if we will obey. Does God know whether we will or not? Of course! How much more do we grow though, when we push past our own plans and imaginings to finish something God told us to do, simply because He told us to do it? Perhaps God is growing your faith by having you continue on in something that doesn't fit your daydream. Maybe He is teaching you to trust Him, even when it doesn't make any sense at all. Maybe He knew you just needed the practice.

Our plans are great and essential for living a life that is relatively free of chaos. Yet, our plans have to be flexible enough to allow God to bend or even break the mold we set up for them if necessary. Are you willing to be embarrassed in order to obey a Godly request? Do you hold so tightly to your plans, even your holy-intentioned ones, that when God changes them, you simply cannot handle it? Are we really this silly?! I know I have been SOOOOO many times. Even when I think I am being so faithful... I realize my faith truly is childlike, but not necessarily in the good way. I believe, create a picture in my mind, and then get discouraged when God's picture looks different than mine. 

Do you know what encourages me though when these things happen? I'm only a thread. I don't have to see why I'm doing something that God told me to do; I don't even have to know exactly WHAT I'm doing if it's in His will. All I need to remember is that if I want God to use me, I have to let HIM use me. God is God and I am not. He's weaving a gorgeous masterpiece that I am a single thread in. I am important in that tapestry, but I do not call the shots or even need to know why He wove me in a certain way at a certain time. Letting God have control of my life is simply that... letting God have control. 

So next time things aren't going the way you planned, just remember, the plan isn't the problem- it's believing that the way you think life should go has to be the way it goes. God cares more about our character than our temporary happiness and more about our soul than our short-sightedness. He is going to mold us the way He best sees fit and it's OK to let go and let the Master work. Breathe, friend. Obey daily and stop thinking you have to make that big picture come into focus. Breathe, obey, and let God do the rest. Love and Hugs!
Many plans are in a man’s heart,
But the counsel of the Lord will stand.
-Proverbs 19:21

© 2016 Cassie Weller


Author's Note

Cassie Weller
This is published on my website as well under "Devotions". www.cassieweller.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on September 19, 2016
Last Updated on September 19, 2016
Tags: devotion, Godly, planning, Cassie Weller

Author

Cassie Weller
Cassie Weller

GA



About
I'm a Christian writer, wife, SAHM, and nature-lover. Advocate of deep thinking, creative ideas, and spiritual growth. I write poetry, devotions, studies, children's stories, advice columns, and more... more..

Writing