looking for a home

looking for a home

A Story by Carla (trying to make every day count)
"

I was waiting at a gas station for a friend the other day and saw a blue heron fly over. then this story happened.

"

     I wake up around 5am.every morning. I spread my wings, jostle my young ones under me. I cover them back up with fluff. I spread my wings and with big leap I jump off my nest. I fly over the swampland around my nest. There are about 50 other nests up there with mine. Other parents are taking off also. My nesting area is surrounded by swampland, but it keeps getting smaller every year. The humans keep filling it in to build there own nesting sights.

     Don't they see how we suffer?

     I fly over 3 miles to get to river where I can fish for food. I fly over black ribbons of hot tar that are cutting my friends habitats into smaller pieces. My friends risk their lives daily crossing that hot black ribbon of tar. They only want to do what comes naturally, find a mate, lay eggs, find food or escape predators. I see many corpses along my flight. I cringe and shudder.

     Don't they even notice?

     I fly over big squares of hot black tar that are surrounded by bright lights. When it is hot and dark many of my duck friends mistake these squares for water, thereby getting lost while migrating. I fly over places that used to be homes to many of my friends. Skunks, possoms, weasels, cranes, coyotes, ducks, raccoons and geese used to live here in peace. Now the humans get angry when they come near the humans' nesting sights.

     Don't they realize all we want is a place of our own?

     I fly over these big buildings that humans visit alot. They put this obnoxious smelling stuff into there colored squares on wheels. I fly higher to escape the smell and noise.

     Doesn't that smell bother them?

     I arrive at the river, tired but in one piece. Others are arriving now. I stand perfectly still by the riverbank. My long legs are straight and still. I tuck my neck down a little. If I'm still enough, the fish won't know I'm here. Here comes a big juicy one now. Suddenly, I feel and see a big white rectangle on wheels go over the raised platform the humans have built. The fish feel the vibrations also and dive back to the bottom of the river. I close my eyes, breathe deeply, open my eyes and wait some more. Patience had paid off for me this morning. I spear a big carp with my bill, flip the fish up into the air and swallw it whole. I catch 2 more fish, then with belly full, I take off for my nest. My young need this food to survive.

     Don't they feel guilty?

     I fly back and forth 15-20 times every day. If there is no food for my young, they will perish. They are totally dependent on me until their flight feathers grow in.

     Do humans know how selfish they are?

The end.

written from the perspective of great blue heron.
 

© 2008 Carla (trying to make every day count)


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an interesting piece. I was able to imagine my self as the bird and see what it was seeing through your words. You described what what going on enough for the reader to picture it without being overly descriptive as well. I am assuming that the lines in-between are the birds thoughts and questions? Also, from reading this I can gather this is a topic you have some passion for? Was short and sweet and sends a message.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

375 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

Carla (trying to make every day count)
Carla (trying to make every day count)

fulton, NY



About
I try to write what I feel and what I know....sometimes that doesn't always work though.... I get inspired by weird things and that causes me to write.... hope you enjoy my musings.... thanks.. .. more..

Writing