Silence

Silence

A Story by Celestia

The monitor beeped. The hospital was still. The old man sat by the pale green bed. His wife lay, breathing slowly. Tears ran down his cheeks as he remembered the past week.
She had awoken in the night, sweaty. She gasped for breath, her heart barely working. He had stumbled towards the phone, almost too late. The ambulance had taken her to the hospital, where they had been for seven days.
The clock steadily ticked forwards. The room grew cold, blowing around through the vents, emptying themselves onto the skin of the pair. The old man took his wife's hand, rubbing it to keep her warm. The tips of her fingers were turning blue, due to the bad circulation.
At a quarter to one, a nurse came in. "Sir?"
He grunted.
"Sir, I'm so sorry. She may not last through the night. Her heart is failing." She pointed at the screen. "See that?"
The man nodded.
"Her heart rate is going down. Her body's shutting down, sir. She's preparing to die. I'm so sorry."
"We've been married for sixty-three years. Ever since we were twenty-six," he said softly. "I don't want to lose her,"
She patted his shoulder. "I know, sir. We'll do our best." The nurse smiled, and left.
They were alone again. In silence. He dozed off.
He awoke to a loud beeping noise. As he blearily opened his eyes, he noticed the room was full of nurses. "What's going on?" he cried out, half asleep.
The nurse looked at him sadly. "She's gone."

© 2015 Celestia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on March 30, 2015
Last Updated on March 30, 2015

Author

Celestia
Celestia

Maple Valley, WA



About
Male pronouns please! :3 Thank you αωαя∂ѕ- ∂єѕ¢яιρтινє αи∂ ρσωє.. more..

Writing
Trixie Trixie

A Story by Celestia


Bulletproof Bulletproof

A Story by Celestia