So this Scotsman walks into a bar...

So this Scotsman walks into a bar...

A Story by celticwitch344

Ok, everyone who knows me well, knows I'm obsessed with the city of New Orleans, and every time I go there, I fall in love with the people there, everyone I meet, even more.  Ironically enough, the most memorable New Orleanian I've met is actually originally from Scotland (can't remember the exact name of the place he's from, but it's near where the Loch Ness Monster is supposed to be hanging out & messing with people's minds & cameras).  He gave me the gift of a story that makes more impact than any one of my crazy escapades...

February 7, 2008:  My last night of my Mardi Gras trip, sitting in my favorite bar/grill in N.O.--The Mojo on Decatur (shout out to Joey for the best steak I've wrapped my mouth around;) it's right across from the Whirling Dervish (the club where I get to flay around & play goth)...I'm downing Budweiser, and a bear of a man in a stained chef's uniform wearily saunters in, with a huge grin on his face, to shouts of "Sean!" (like he's Norm on "Cheers").  He sits in his favorite spot, right next to my perch (ALLLL-RIGHT!!! THIS could get interesting;)   The  T.V. is on, spurting out American images to all of us drunks.  Sean proceeds to inform me that American T.V. is "rubbish" (I'm not arguing, I've got digital cable with 200 channels, and I still can't find a damn thing to watch).  I can't recall how it came up, but I found out he's a U.S. Marine, previously shot up all to hell in the current war, with so many metal plates in his body, he sets off metal detectors (he was a Royal Marine too--tough character, this one).  I gave him a Soldiers Angels business card, and talked "military" with him for awhile.  Later, it came up that he got home from deployment, only to bury his wife & daughter (killed in a car wreck a few days before he made it home).  If that's not enough, he buried his brother, a South African cop, a few years later, then lost nearly everything else to Katrina (like most of N.O.).  I informed him that he's a beautiful soul, with a huge heart that barely fits into his broad Scottish chest (hey, he gave me the skinny on American T.V., it was only fair to return the favor).  He waved his callused hand at me in humility:  "NAAH!!", to which I yelled, "HEY, DON'T ARGUE WITH ME, SEAN!" (don't mess with me on the fifth Budweiser).  The part that will stick with me for life isn't in the details, but the HUGS.  This guy hugs like he's never hugged anyone before, is really good at it, and never got the chance to use the skill.  I'm 112 lbs:  he picked me up and shook me around like a rag doll.  The story has a happy ending:  a friend texted me that he's gonna get married, and his girlfriend already has a daughter to love as a package deal.  Way to go, Sean, you made it!  Some people make it through SO much, you figure it's impossible to find any happiness when all the dust settles.  Screw being a Marine, the ability to still have the muscle to smile & hug shows how tough the guy really is... Plus, I've never really lived until I saw a Scotsman, yelling in perfect Russian, chase a troublemaker out of a "Cheers" bar in New Orleans.  I'm lucky I have the knack for picking out a good spot in bars, and picking out good friends on MySpace.  If you ever get the chance to go to New Orleans, grab dinner at Mojo's, and tell Joey that Melissa sent you.  If you're really lucky, maybe Sean will get thirsty the night you're there...

 

Here's the email I sent to Sean, right after I got back from N.O.  I would hope that it underscored the impact he made on me, and helped him to move forward.  You never know the affect you can have, on someone else's life, even a total stranger you just met, until you try...Reach out, people, it's the only way we can all survive on Planet Earth...

 

Hi Sean,
I don't know if you remember me, but we met at the Mojo, the Thursday after Mardi Gras. I gave you the Soldiers Angels card. I just wanted to let you know that you made an impact on me, and you've already become legendary up here in Ohio (your story shuts up alot of very spoiled & whiny Americans up here when I tell it). The sad thing about Ohio is that people are generally miserable here, but we have everything, the world at our feet. Our lives are relatively easy, but I've seen more people complain here about petty concerns than I did in New Orleans, and many I met in N.O. had lost much, if everything, to Katrina. But, you are one of the most extraordinary individuals I've ever met, a truly beautiful soul (DON'T ARGUE WITH ME!:) You are a true survivor. I know you've lost alot, the worst was losing your family. The biggest impact you had on me was the love that you have for them. I don't care how much you act like the big, tough Scotsman/Marine bad-a*s, you have more love in your heart than I've seen in most people I've met in my 36 years of living. Your wife, daughter, and brother were lucky to have you in their lives; most people don't experience that kind of love & devotion in their entire lives, but they got it from you. You were the one left behind to deal with it, only because you're strong enough to carry on. You still give that devotion & kindness to people around you, even if you aren't aware of it. I noticed it in the way you help your friends when they need you, in what may seem like small ways to you, but it means the world to the people around you. Just keep being the decent & truly good person you are, and keep giving love from that big, beautiful Scottish heart. It would be truly a shame to waste it. Odds are, I'll never be fortunate enough to see you in person again, but I'll always remember you as the guy who gives the best hugs on the block, and still manages to be so tough, and act like a gentleman at the same time, so thank you for that.
Blessed Be,
Melissa

© 2008 celticwitch344


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh man.. this made me cry and realize how much we take for granted each and every day. Whether it is the clothes on our backs or even the food we eat. We take everything for granted and think it will always be there. When in fact it can be gone in a blink of an eye. Man.. that is an awesome story and I hope this story changes people's minds too. I really loved it. Thanks for sharing it. ^^

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MY
Mel, you write so incredible well and this story gave me goose bumps (or what it is called). It is so damn important to cherish every moment of our lives, even the bad ones since they at least prove you are alive right..!! Good job Mel :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Oh man.. this made me cry and realize how much we take for granted each and every day. Whether it is the clothes on our backs or even the food we eat. We take everything for granted and think it will always be there. When in fact it can be gone in a blink of an eye. Man.. that is an awesome story and I hope this story changes people's minds too. I really loved it. Thanks for sharing it. ^^

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 5, 2008
Last Updated on September 5, 2008

Author

celticwitch344
celticwitch344

Newark, OH



About
Most of my writing was inspired by dear friends I met through MySpace... The first one to notice my "gift" of writing there, he said I should share my "gift" with the world. Since then, I've exited t.. more..

Writing