The answer Ophelia found

The answer Ophelia found

A Story by Lavender
"

We all may find it one day, but circumstance allows only the ones who believe in their own fate to reach into Ophelia's light.

"

Her skirts caught around her feet, sending her tumbling to the forest ground.  Heaving with desperation, the young women stockley pushed forward, leaving a rosy slipper behind in the mud.  Filth was caked on the bottom of her skirts, and her hair was days unkempt, buy the child paid no heed to her physical disproportions.  Movements erratic, occasionally tripping on plant life, she headed toward a willow tree at the edge of a river.  


Upon reaching the askew willow, the woman stopped abruptly, seemingly contemplating her next move.  As quickly as the hesitation arose it disappeared once !�L�n?d� �]�/�B!�zQ�I/�W��-���p sMs�^����T��i$ʧ�L}b���DM��N��ǥ�R��'�C햰tu8�bAC�����-���âd�"Rj� ����4���[��hc���@���UR�=^T�8�NF-�+�F�w7��g7��`��ˁ�5!�λu�P�6��O��"��M�bp�8*�F9�7�F�yCne��0F�nj���$��� تP�<;����T"/��׾��~`Q���O���


Looking down into the rushing waters, her eyes cleared at the sight of a glittering in the darkened blue.  The young woman tried to reach for it, but she couldn't reach without falling into the brook.  So that’s what she did, plopping ungracefully into the icy spring.  Not longer paying heed to her precious garland of flowers as they all fell with her.  Still, the girl failed to grasp the drop, so she pushed her head under the surface.  


The chatter of the forest was left above, and all that could be heard was the faint whispers of the deep.  Oxygen was scarce in this new environment, but the pursuit of hope kept her breathing.  The light of the droplet came closer, and she was enveloped in bright light.  Tragedy birthed her fate, and her statement of love be the last we remember.  And yet, she left being the one to find the answer.  


Hope.  In a world where life provides no meaning.  Sweet lady, you may rest now.

© 2016 Lavender


Author's Note

Lavender
I found Ophelia to be a compelling character in Hamlet. She was the one true innocent, given that Gertrude's actions have been debated. Still, I won't deny, I found Hamlet and Ophelia to have more chemistry than Romeo and Juliet. I suppose that was the point; Romeo and Juliet were meant to represent the stupidity of teenage love. Still, Ophelia continues to enthrall me even now.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on September 21, 2016
Last Updated on September 21, 2016
Tags: existentialism, Shakespeare, Ophelia, Hamlet, death, drowning

Author

Lavender
Lavender

MN



About
Hi. I've been writing short stories all my life and I'm finally willing to receive some feedback on my writing. I'm still new to this site so be gentle. Most of what I write will be supernatural or s.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Lavender


Friends Friends

A Story by Lavender