We Sit in the Land of the Dying...

We Sit in the Land of the Dying...

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

Reflections on the passing of my precious mother...

"

 

 

Ringing

early morning

a chilling sound

piercing apart my dreams…

 

Fading

my mother

sit with my dad

in the land of the dying…

 

Contemplating

her deep love

her strong support

her living sacrifice for us…

 

Waiting

the paramedics

hear them say

nothing more can be done…

 

Breathing

feel so numb

kneel at her side

such peace on her face…

 

Looking

eyes to ceiling

hoping she sees me

senses my love one last time…

 

Knowing

in her last breath

that she took her first

in the land of the living…

 

© 2009 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
�Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.� (Psalm 116:15)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I wish I had more awards to give, for this was in my top four. Simple, titled well, clear, concise and packed with wry observations on death, yet tinged with hope and just enough sentimentalism to get the reader by. Nicely done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow, this is really beautiful and moving. Amazing job!

- Kriss

Posted 15 Years Ago


The brevity and sparseness of your structure bespeaks the raw nature of an unresolved pain; has this event only just recently transpired? No death need be as painful, when accompaied by your obvious adoration for her, and her awareness of that. My condolences, brother-friend...

Posted 15 Years Ago


I am really truly sorry for your loss. My condolences.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Craig, I didn't know about the demise of your mother untill today...I read the poem just now and must say there is so sublimity and divinity in your vision of her death that it surpasses all condolences and human grief. May the Almighty be with the soul of your precious mother always. And of course, may you always create masterpieces like this, amidst life's sunlit bends as well as the dark corners.
Your friend,
Ru (Lopa).

Posted 15 Years Ago


Craig, a wonderful tribute to your Mother. The way you wrote this piece showing us that even though we lose those that are close to us. be do take the breath of a new life, bestowed within the gated of Heaven.

This hist home my friend...We lost dad on Fathers Day 2001. I miss him every damn day.

Thanks for sharing Craig and so sorry for your lose.

Art

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is an absorbing poem which really hits home the messages of making the time for others and realising when your love ones are gone there is nothing left but empty voidity and the sense of what might have been, we have to make the most of our lives for we never know when the reaper will come knocking at our door, have a blessed weekend yourself craig.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Oh Craig how very touching... this piece speaks deeply to me having lost my mom just a couple years ago suddenly... life sure is precious that is why we need to take every opportunity to let loved ones know we care and enjoy every moment with them.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Oh Craig...you've got me in tears. What a haunting memory, yet I can feel the strength of the love you two shared. Thank you for sharing such a vulnerable piece of yourself.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very beautiful and sad.. I have never had the opportunity to sit by a loved one's side to watch the last breathe before they go into their eternal journey to the above.. I really wish I could have been there to say goodbye to my loved ones however I know they are in a better place. For me death is a very scary thing as I admit it hits me hard when I realize that I will no longer see that special person for a very long time.. as I am sensitive that hurts so badly.. I loved your ending:

Knowing
in her last breath
that she took her first
in the land of the living�

the way you caption her taking her first breathe in the land of the living.. that is an inspiration.. in heaven I picture a great place of beauty.. no need for medicine.. no faults.. no need for food.. no pain.. just happiness and being surrounded by those we love when we all go.. everyone is healthy and happy .. as there is no disease in any form.. thank you for sharing! =)


Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

768 Views
22 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 15, 2009
Last Updated on April 20, 2009

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing