In the days of orphan riders...

In the days of orphan riders...

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

Up to 200,000 orphans rode the orphan trains�

"

 

I stand here alone… unwanted… discarded… afraid…

So hungry for food… for shelter... for kind words…

No parent to defend me… seek me… say they love me…

No one to hold me or kiss me goodnight… not me…

I don’t dream anymore… at least I can’t remember any…

Here in New York… dirty and unsure… on the streets…

I’ll never see my home again… what brief time it was…

Children like me… scattered… they gather us like dogs…

Place us on trains… dirty... noisy… terrified…

Alone with a hundred others like me…

Staring into each others’ eyes…

Hoping to find a friend in these lonely moments…

Other “dirty waifs” like myself…

We are looked at as less than human…

High society people say we got what we deserved…

We were poor “because we wished it…”

Our folks lazy or cursed or heavy drinkers…

I travel a thousand miles… little sleep… no rest…

Stop on stop off… stand before ladies and gents…

Stuck with their fingers… talked about but never talked to…

They check my teeth.. feel my chest… my arms…

Wanting me not as a child.. not a blessed son or daughter…

But as hands to help… to milk and mend and move…
A stranger takes my hand… a lady…

Saying she will be my mother… I nod and walk with her…

Glancing back at nameless faces… pushed back on the train cars…

No one wanting them… not even for work…

I can wish that she will care for me… dream that she will love me…

But I told her my name… and she only ever calls me “boy…”

God, please promise me a warm bed… something good to eat…

And maybe… if I’m good… a future too…

Is that too much to ask?

 

© 2009 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress..." ~ James 1:27

From 1854 to 1929, orphan trains from New York "placed out" 150,000 to 200,000 destitute children, mainly to homes in the farming communities of the Midwest. Some of these children, young infants to age 15, were orphans. Many were homeless street kids, and others were given-up by parents unable to provide for their well-being. Some had been abandoned by their families, were runaways, or had been removed from abusive homes. Children on the orphan trains came from the street gangs and orphan asylums of the city.

During the orphan train trip, children usually lined up in front of prospective takers on a platform or at a meeting hall. They were encouraged to look and act their best. Inspection sometimes involved poking and prodding; an attempt to ascertain their value as workers on farms or in local shops and businesses. Children that were not selected returned to the train to travel on to another stop.

It is estimated that around 2 million Americans are descendents of an orphan train rider.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a stupendous piece of writing set in your own unique way .. the theme is tragic, heart-breaking yet somehow, you give those children haloes by way of your wording.

No parent to defend me� seek me� say they love me�
No one to hold me or kiss me goodnight� not me�
I don't dream anymore�

So sad and, truth .. we can't forget that history, ever.

History has been wicked-evil to people of all ages but the thought of small children being treated like this is inconceivable - sent from their families, bewildered, mourning the break from parents, treated like animals, abused in every way.

A similar thing happened here in the UK .. children sent away during WW2 .. many to fine homes/people, but equally many went to abusive people who used them as slave and sexual labour. Many children were lied to, told their parents were killed in the war. How cruel is that.

How cruel the world has been and is to wee defenceless angels. Craig, thank you for writing this incredible reminder ..

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow Craig, this is so beautifully written , tearing back a veil that let's us see the precious young souls that felt pain and want like most of us never know. I, like others have said, was not aware of the magnitude of this travesty. You in this writing and your always classy style gives them back now, what was taken then, ...dignity..and most importantly a human face with feelings that deserve compassion that was robbed. A very,very heart gripping and moving piece. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A beautifully written and soulful piece, Craig. The despair and lack of hope this one child feels is echoed in the dull eyes of his peers as his life is made meaningless before his eyes. You capture his desire to be loved as well as his hopelessness as he learns how he is seen.

Brilliant write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really liked this, the emotion is brought out nicely in this poem. I loved how you used "..." after your sentences, i cant really figure out why.. but it gives the poem more longing, and sense of exhaustion. I really liked this, and it makes me thankful for what i have. Hah, right around thanksgiving too.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ohhh,touching,the end is innocent and bitter,a very inspiring poem,your pen writes agony,your hands bleed and your sorrow touches,your picture was thought provoking,even today thousands,here,beg for alms and labour,just because they were born without parents,,,so sad,,,so tragic,,,so true,even today,,

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow this is very sad , but its well written and express`much emotion. AMazingly great write! ty

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a wonderful peek at a bit of history. I loved the writing. It was informative, entertaining and educational. Your powerful style evokes sympathy from the reader and directs our thoughts to the plight suffered by so many of these misfortunates. Great job on this Craig.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A terrific poem, especially for this time of year. The information you provided was fascinating too....I had no idea. How incredibly sad. I wonder why no one ever wrote of their experience (or did they?)

It would make a great novel too.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is pure literature.. great and profound! There are exemplary metaphors and philosophy one can find in this.. as so many today through the winds of change FEEL like orphans in society being so far from family and loved ones.. this can touch any and all who read it! I loved the depth of this.. yes it's so sad but so true... and today we feel bad for our positions.. yet to look back in time and see these things we should truly feel blessed for all that we have today and yesterday.

I read this a few days ago when you first posted it.. I've reread it 4 times cause in everyday life I love historical and real life event stories. This was moving.. educational.. sad.. yet in a very twisted way made me feel better for how I live today.. even those having debts will not have it as bad as so many have had it from that time.. and in other countries. Yes we may be slaves to IOU's however.. as we (including myself) complain about being a number.. reading this renewed that sense of freedom we have.. reinforces that we must all do our part to correct and move forward preserving those precious freedoms.

Slavery still exists today.. in so many parts of the world. Sad that mostly it is ignored by the majority of people .. and still existed even in the best of times globally.. how nice it would be to make that word become obsolete! Beautifully penned.. saving to favorites!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig, an excellent job in bringing such an event to light. I had been aware of these trains and the trains in Europe who, during the war, took the children out of the cities and away from their families. Tragic in both senses because of what happened to most of them. I think you have done a great job of getting into character with this piece. I could really feel what it could have been like, the emotions. Thanks for following up the piece with the facts you have given...you are a man of detail. I for one am glad for that!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I knew of the trains and how we populated the western frontier with children Sad as it is I imagine it was better than the mean streets of the cities to the east .They were brutal to say the least to orphan street urchins as they were called .What a horrific life yet remember these kids had that already from where they came .It is a great story beautifully depicted in all its horror
tate

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1724 Views
36 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on November 27, 2009
Last Updated on December 7, 2009

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing