A True Heartbreaker

A True Heartbreaker

A Story by Andy Chen
"

a fictional love story based on real life experiences. a love story to its truest.

"

The typical love story starts with a boy and girl that ends with a happy ending; the boy likes girl, goes through a series of problematic situations, ends up with her. End of story. Well. Not everything happens like the movies or books. When reality hits, rock bottom is where people will end up. Love stories don't happen everyday and when they do, people don't cherish it. Not everyone is lucky enough to find their significant other, and the thought of it is depressing. My story starts with a girl that I began to fall in love with...but unlike your fairy tale stories, there wasn't a happy ending. 

 

Her name was Daisy Collins. She wasn't your ordinary girl. Usually, everyone has some sort of standard when it comes to dating their significant other; "oh they should have blue eyes and a perfect smile" or "I want to date a white girl who's really into fashion and whatnot." Well, I had standards for what my "ideal" girlfriend would be, but when I met her, those standards fell apart. She was more than perfect. When I first met her, her smile captivated my heart and her eyes swept me away. She wasn't the type of girl who wore abercrombie clothing with short shorts and abercrombie flip flops. She was much more refined. Her daily summer wear would be a college t-shirt, iowa or illinois, a part of shorts, not too short though, and just regular jcrew flip flops. If perfection was a person, she'd be that person. 

 

But enough with the lovey-dovey stuff. It was my junior year in high school when I first met her. It was one of those meets that just clicked. We had a great talk and the next thing you know, we began talking online. At the time, I wasn't looking for someone to "date," seeing how I was only a junior in high school and all I cared about was getting good grades and what not. I know some people say that people begin developing relationships at the high school phase. Well, for me, it was a bit different. The girls I dated prevented me from wanting a relationship. And if I did want a relationship, it would be with someone that I have taken time to acquaint myself with her before taking the next step. With her, things seemed very steady. Junior year passes by and our friendship has grown strong; she was basically my best friend. But the one gruesome truth about best friends is that you can't have a best friend of the opposite sex, because at some point, there comes a time that you will begin to have feelings for him or her, and at that expense, you risk either progressing your friendship onto the next step, or ultimately tearing friendship apart. For me, progression was only a piece of mind that did not come true. 

 

At the beginning of senior year, feelings began to develop. Things were better than ever; I talked with her almost everyday and we hung out more than ever. Distance proved somewhat of a problem to us, since I lived in the city and she lived in the suburbs. To be exact, we lived approximately twenty miles from each other. But once I got my driver's license at the age of 18, that no longer became an issue. Despite the gas that I use just to drive to her house, I would drive up to her area every weekend just to see her. It's funny when I look back at it; there were times that I missed her so much that I would tell her I need to use her camera (I told her I didn't have one, when really, I did) for a school project, just so I could see her on the weekdays, even if it was only for five minutes, it was still worth it to me. Like I said, things were going really well for me. 

 

Prom was probably the best time I have ever had with Daisy. Even though I was a horrible dancer, she stood by me the whole time. Then it came, the slow dance. There were two slow songs, if I recall correctly, and we were both sitting down when the first slow song came up. I got really nervous because I didn't know if I should ask her to dance, because I thought I'd be crossing the line between friendship and a relationship if I did. Ever catch yourself in one of those moments where part of you tells you to do it while the other part of you tells you not to do it? Well, I was in that predicament. And on top of that, I didn't have the balls to ask her when the first slow song came up. The first slow song ended, and the second one began playing. It was at this point that I told myself "It's now or never, here's your chance to dance with the girl that you're falling for, and there might not be another opportunity." Next thing I know, I ask her and, to my surprise, she says yes. This was the high light of the night; just me and her, holding onto to each other, dancing like no one was watching. It felt like the perfect moment. 

 

Upon graduating, my feelings for her were strong. And for some odd reason, I felt like she had feelings for me too. However, I was faced with a risk that every guy-bestfriend faced; whether to take the risk and ask her if she would be my girlfriend, or to not take the risk at all, knowing that it may destroy your friendship if she did not have the same feelings. I was heart-strucken for a few months, debating as to what to do. My friends did not provide the best insight for me. You know that scene near the end in License To Wed when John Krasinski is talking to his best friend in the bar, and John tells his best friend that he gives the worst advice ever. Well, I was in that situation. 

 

I tried to put it off for months. But I came to realize that the longer I put this off, the bigger the chance I have of losing her to someone else. 

 

My birthday came around. I finally decide (like FINALLY) to ask her to be my girlfriend. I originally had a huge plan; getting her a bouquet of roses and a box of chocolates, along with a teddy bear and sign saying "WILL YOU BE MY GIRLFRIEND." But sadly, I wasn't that bold. I chickened out at the last minute, and I ended up getting her a rose and asking her out in my car. Honestly, the answer that I was seeking was a "yes." But this isn't Burger King; you can't have everything your way. She ends up telling me that she likes me too (which was definitely a THUMBS UP for me ) but she wasn't looking for a relationship, just not yet (THUMBS DOWN). I was disappointed upon hearing the word "no" but I was glad to finally know for myself that she liked me too. 

 

I thought that we could be one of those couples that are "unofficially" together, meaning that we like each other but we don't term it as being "together"; more like friends who like each other. But I was wrong...dead wrong. Things went downhill from there on. We began talking less and less and it got to the point where we would not talk to each other for three weeks. It was something that I never experienced upon the three year friendship I shared with her. Then finally, it came. 

 

This was probably three months after she said "no" to my question. I was working on my architecture project; it was big proportion of my semester grade and I've been pulling all nighters for the past couple days. I haven't talked with Daisy for a good three weeks and I miss her. I ended up taking a break and I messaged her on our modern technological breakthrough; AOL Instant Messenger. Not to mention her birthday was in two days, I thought it would be a great time for me to get a hint at what she wants. And on top of that, (I better mention this) I was going to ask her to HER prom on her birthday. Well, it didn't go as I thought. 

 

We began catching up, talking about random things like we used to. Then came my question. "So, did anyone ask you to prom?" It was my technique to know whether or not if I should make my move on her birthday. Of all things, the answer I expected was "no." But...yes, the "BUT." She said yes. I froze for a good ten minutes. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to respond to that. All in all, I did not know what to do. "Really? Who asked you?" "This guy from my church asked me and I said yes."

 

If you were in my shoes, you'd be shunned. Well, I was. I couldn't even talk to her at that point. Things went sour. The next day we had a talk. And you know what? She tells me she doesn't like me. The one thing every guy dreads for, coming from the girl he loves. For me, I died a little on the inside when she told me. Oh scratch that, I just died on the inside. My heart broke into a million pieces. The girl that I thought was perfect for me, tells me I'm not the one for her. For every guy out there, I know how that feels. All you ever wanted to do was to spend every minute with her, but all she did was take advantage of it. You'd go, not even 100%, but a 110% for her, but she would not even lift a finger for you. That kills. 

 

Love stories don't always end the way you want it too. Sometimes, you just need to man up and let reality knock you down. It is then that you can get back up and start all over. For me, that process wasn't easy. Daisy, the first girl I ever truly loved, is the first girl to ever knock me off my feet. 

© 2009 Andy Chen


Author's Note

Andy Chen
note: my grammar can be off so please excuse me

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sad story, very true to life. One thing you need to work on as a writer is your grammar, specifically your tenses. At certain points, your tense would change mid-paragraph with no explanation as to why. Overall, it is a very good story with errors only in conventions.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Charming ...Very reality and not so much fantasy. I know that it really hurt but it made a good story, and you're right, sometimes we just gotta let things knock us off our feet, even if it's not easy to do.

Great story,

Nae-Nae ...

Posted 14 Years Ago


aw, that was a sad story, but it was good.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 4, 2009

Author

Andy Chen
Andy Chen

Writing
The Girl The Girl

A Chapter by Andy Chen


Chance Chance

A Chapter by Andy Chen