The problem of my heart

The problem of my heart

A Story by chickitty
"

This was inspired recently after finding out about the death of an ex-colleague.

"
A light wind in the trees outside caused a patterned shimmer of light over an awaiting silent crowd seated within the arched auditorium-like room. I stood up the back, blankly observing the casket being carried down the aisle. I pulled out my crossword book, drawing the attention of several others in the vicinity - I ignored their frowning stares.

A pristine page awaits my pencil, now prepared in hand.

I love cryptic crosswords.
They are a secret language you must learn. A clue here, a common synonym there and suddenly the crossword is not so bottomless as to have you tumbling forever.

four down... five letters... sunny?

My love for cryptic crosswords sort of snuck up on me really. Taking a flight from Melbourne to Sydney one day, I found myself sitting next to a man who was slowly working his way through a book of them. We struck up a friendship quickly and he began showing me the rules. It all started there in that little plane cabin. Not just my love of crosswords, but our sudden friendship. We even kept in touch. What are the odds of that?

Seven across, four and eleven. Ouch. I wish he were here now. His sharp mind would steer mine to the path of solution - two heads are better than one!

He had gone to Melbourne to learn to fly. He had a dream to fly commercial jets around Australia. So he left the security of family and friends and moved to a little Melbourne bachelor pad to pursue it.

This crossword is tricker than I expected.

He never realised his dream. During a thorough medical
they discovered he had a heart problem. He came back to Sydney, with a gaping hole where his dream of flying use to live and a long to-do list of extreme medical procedures. He was so young.

I hardly ever finish a crossword. I end up with a book full of half completed puzzles.

He died last Saturday night, his pace-maker failed w
hile playing netball with his friends.

© 2010 chickitty


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's cool. Makes me wanna read more.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Joe
I really like this. In the beginning when the person pulls out the crossword, it seems that they are being rude, but, in the end, we see that it's in memory of the man. You have great word choice and this was a great story. Keep it up!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 16, 2010
Last Updated on February 16, 2010

Author

chickitty
chickitty

Writing
Shattered Shattered

A Poem by chickitty


Lily Lily

A Poem by chickitty


The Coat The Coat

A Story by chickitty