My little piece of heaven

My little piece of heaven

A Story by J. L. Childers

The blush of morning is just barely beginning to blanket the sky above the distant horizon. The fresh dew sparkles on the soft grass below my bare feet. Birds are singing happily in the lush green tree tops over head. A herd of deer is grazing peacefully in the meadow. The smell of honey suckles floats through the warm moist air. In the distance, you can hear the trickle of the stream as it flows over its rocky bed over a small bluff and into the waiting pool below. The beautiful clear blue water then flows on downstream to join with a larger creek somewhere within the forest.
I pull out the tie that is holding my hair up and let it travel down my back. I pull the thin sun dress over my head and drape it over a nearby tree branch. I step towards the pool and into the warm mud along the bank. The moldy musky smell drifts up into the air. I wade out into the warm water until it is waist high and slightly lean back and raise my feet up. Suspended in time, I just float there, without a care in the world. The pressure of the water on my ears muffles the sounds around me; I can only hear my own heart beat and my lungs taking in and releasing air All thoughts leave my mind as I just concentrate on floating, breathing, and my heart beat. Nothing bothers me, nothing holding me back, stressing me out, finally at peace.

© 2008 J. L. Childers


Author's Note

J. L. Childers
This location has been in my mind for years...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on December 19, 2008