Worth It

Worth It

A Story by chimetime
"

Story for a game I am developed. Story is based in 2040 in a technoapocalpse. A world where 1% of the world is socially cohesive, but 99% of the world is isolated and self-centered.

"



Production Notes 1

ACT ONE overview 1

ACT TWO overview 1

ACT THREE overview 2

Zombie structure 2

Characterizations: 2

Lingo 3

Act One - Setup 3

Act Two - Confrontation 6

Act Three- Resolution 8



Production Notes

Theme: Love is worth it. Go for it.

FOLLOW THREE ACT STRUCTURE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-act_structure


Plot:

ACT ONE overview

Player, Romeo, has just came from a bad pairing. There are problems logistically and mentally. Logistical: time, money, no more support of clan, not many females left. Mentally: no confidence, pessimism, fear. He is returning from pilgrimage, failure. He is with his best friend, Chand, and tells him to not lose hope. Before going back to camp, they move supplies together with Ennis and Jack. They procure some alcohol for celebration. The year is 2040.


They come back to main camp. The friend discovers that his girl is leaving him to go with Chad. Chad is from another camp - plot point one.

ACT TWO overview


Friend's fiance leaves. The three go to Chand's place and try to get him to come out. The friend is very emotional and refuses human contact. A week goes by. The trio is on patrol. They discuss the point and probability of love. They then see Chand leave the compound. They think he is attempting suicide. They rush off to find and save him.


ACT THREE overview

The trio catches up to Chand and ask if he is going to kill himself. The friend says no, he is going to go on pilgrimage. The trio outlines the danger, futility, and low probability of looking for love. Friend relents and agrees to go back to make a decision. The next night, the trio are eating at a campfire. Chand says he is going on his own pairing and convinces the gay couple to go. Romeo refuses, but says he will help. The next day, before the party sets off, Romeo joins them.


30 Min Game


Zombie structure

Everyone is infected. Reanimation upon death of any kind. Fast zombies. No group coordination. Bites only have the same lethality of today's bites. A group of three can easily kill one zombie. Most pairs can kill zombies. For the most part, it's like real fights. 2 vs 1 almost always wins. Refer, but do not explicitly say in the game.

Characterizations:

Romeo: Pessimistic. Loyal to compound and friends. Ralph. Chooses Red glasses or bandana.

Chand: Leader. High standing in the compound. Social glue. Leonardo. Chooses blue glasses or bandana.

Jack: Very emotional and empathic. Like Jack from Brokeback mountain. Social butterfly. Mike. Chooses yellow glasses or bandana.

Ennis: Very logical. Like Ennis from Brokeback mountain. Penchant for business, quiet but methodical character. Many defer to his tactics. Donatello. Chooses purple glasses or bandana.


Lingo

  • Compound or CMP

    • Home village. Compound because many villages are in former industrialized places like schools.

  • HES

    • Holodeck entertainment system

  • CUPID

    • De facto dating site using advanced AI to predict matches

  • QC

    • Quantum Clay

Act One - Setup

Fade In:

Empty City - Outdoor - Day

Caravan walking in a street in a futuristic, but deserted, metropolis. Heading to compound, which is a pier. We center camera on Romeo.

Romeo (Thought Bubble or T.B.)

2 Years...

Caravan passes a few dead zombie corpses.

Romeo (T.B.)

5 years worth of quantum edits

Romeo (T.B.)

1 near casualty

Romeo (T.B.)

37 dates

Romeo (T.B.)

Just myself...

Entrance to pier - Outdoor - Day

Caravan enters the compound. Compound is a pier. Entrance is security cameras, robots, and turrets. Lookout nests. Boats and aircraft for easy evacuation. Hydroponic vegetation. Romeo is joined by another behind him.

Chand

You feeling alright Romeo?

Romeo

Is that from your reading?

Chand

A cockroach could read you right now. Romeo, maybe your pairing didn't work out. But things can change. Maybe someone will come here.

Romeo

No woman ever there. And guys or Samantha don't cut it.

Chand

Love is love Romeo. Don't look at the specifics too much.

Romeo

I've heard this same thing again, but Chand. All this time and QCs have been wasted. What's worse, I wasted all your guys' time

Chand

First off Romeo, we all do this for each other. If my pairing had taken 1 year and 11 months, you all would have done the same.

Romeo

Your pairing was an actual pairing. Success matters.

Chand

Look, we definitely had different outcomes, but I say as someone with a beautiful wife and future kids, it is worth it. I don't know how, but you can't lose hope and give up.

Romeo

Not looking good. Look at my options. Actually, my ONE option: compound. I'd get killed out here by myself.

Chand

Look, I didn't say do anything drastic and dangerous. Work on yourself and maybe love will work things out. You gotta be someone worth loving to find love.

Romeo

Sighs...you keep saying the same thing. Honestly, I don't even see the point anymore. There's always more of them coming out.

Chand

Look, dating is tough, but don't convince yourself that it isn't worth it. Even without C.U.P.I.D or M.E.N.D.E.L, love is worth it. Learn to love. And that doesn't include just watching from the CACHE. Work to do, people to help, compound to build

Romeo

I get it, he with a wife.

Chand

Don't be like that. Let's debrief.

Romeo

Time to show the fam my forever single face

Fade Out:

Fade In:

Shipping warehouse or Stable - Indoor - Day

Romeo and Chand follow the caravan in. The gates shut. The rest of the caravan begins unloading and unzipping the QCs. QCs stored in individuals and released into a Quantum Bank. Romeo and Chand begin offloading to QB. Ennis and Jack join them. They are on the sides of the pai. The chain is arranged as E - R - C - J.

Ennis

Hey guys. Romeo, your displeasure is apparent

Romeo

It is.

Jack

Hey! Are you okay Romeo? It hurts seeing you feel lonely here..

Romeo

Food, medicine, and bullets. If I can't get anything, at least the compound will

Jack

There's more than just stuff, there's also your life

Romeo

My life is most likely gonna be a lonely venture of killing and surviving.

Jack

Don't think like that. I thought that too before I met Ennis

Romeo

If I may be blunt, the odds are not even for me. It's like 40 bees looking for one flower. And I don't roll the same way as both of you, Jack and Ennis

Jack

Can't argue with those numbers, but Ennis is the love of my life and love is love.

Ennis

Jack, Romeo's got a different treasure hunt than us.

Jack

I know, but love is the same. And how exactly do we not know there is an Ennis for Romeo?

Romeo

I know it doesn't work like an appetite.

Jack

Look, don't be so down and I'm just trying to help. Let's celebrate when we get back in, not mope.

Romeo

Celebrate what?

Jack

A motherfucking good time.

Jack produces a case of alcohol.

Jack

If a girl won't love you, this bottle will. (smiles) My QC for the bachelor cutie.

Romeo

(Smiles). I have found true love after all.

Chand

I'd rather celebrate than feel like s**t Romeo. I'll catch up with you, gonna catch up to my Anna.

Fade Out:

Fade In:

Village interior Hill- Outdoor- Day

We open to the entrance of the CMP. We see the four follow Chand to his home. We see Chand go inside his home while the other three wait outside.

Romeo

Man, why don't we do this more often?

Ennis and Jack

QC cost

Romeo

Well, I get that, but why not just eat the cost and do this more?

Ennis

Social activity declined even before the great isolation.

Ennis

Variety of reasons. Cost, economic instability.

Ennis

Some said human usage of pre-isolation technology foreshadowed the self-servers.

Romeo

Seems very dreary. No time for chilling when there's too much killing.

Ennis

It wasn't always so. We live pretty close to our early ancestors actually. Except add f*****g to killing

Jack

Good f*****g?

Ennis

Rape.

Jack, Ennis, Romeo

...

Ennis

It didn't last though. Civilization came from chaos.

Romeo

THAT also didn't last. We live in the chaos.

Ennis

If it turns, imagine though. I've been...

Chand's home opens. Out steps Anna with an unknown man. The three stare at the two. The three have expressions of confusion. The two have expressions of uncomfortableness.

Anna

Hi Romeo. I'm so sorry about your pairing.

Romeo

...yeah

Romeo

it's regrettable

Romeo

Are you okay Anna?

Who is that?

Anna

This is Chad...Romeo, this isn't easy to say, but when I met Chad, I truly found love rather than the best option.

Anna

I've told Chand. I'm departing this compound to go with Chad. I wish you good luck in your life. to you, Ennis, and Jack.

Romeo

Wait! but what about Chand?

Jack

He's gotta be devastated.

Anna

I've left him some QCs. This isn't easy. Please take care of him for me.

She and Chad walk away.

FadeOut

Act Two - Confrontation

Fade In:

Outside Chand's house - Outdoor - Day

We see Romeo knock on Chand's door. Three knocks.

Romeo

Chand, open up.

Knocking actions

Romeo

Chand, open. Let me know you're allright.

Knocking actions

Ennis

He is alive. You can see him through the widows.

Romeo

Saying nothing means something. Not normal.

Ennis

Suicide is an option, but Chand wouldn't leave us. He will speak when he wants to speak.

Romeo

How do you know? The man lost his fiance. Loss feels worse than never having.

Ennis

Have faith that he isn't like some others we know. Look, I have an solution without pissing him off. Let's have someone right outside his house at all times. One of us, you, me, and Jack.

Romeo

That makes sense. Isolation and suicide are bedmates.

Ennis

I'll inform the leads. They'll probably be lenient

Fade Out

Outside Chand's house - Outdoor - Night

Romeo

It's been such a long week...

Jack

It could have been such a long marriage

Romeo

..yeah...for sure

Jack

Ennis, are you ever gonna do that to me?

Ennis

Why are you jealous?

Jack

You didn't answer the question. And why wouldn't I be jealous?

Romeo

I wonder what the point of it is: to get a girl just to lose a girl.

Ennis

That doesn't happen all the time Romeo.

Romeo

You sure man? What happens if either of you finds someone better? Hypothetically speaking.

Jack

Yeah, Ennis. What do you think of other guys?

Ennis

I'm not gonna leave you Jack. Drop it. You too Romeo. Paranoia, pessimism, and fear will not bring anyone love, especially you.

Romeo

No one who haves knows anything about losing

Ennis

Vice….Versa

Jack

You still didn't answer the question.

Ennis

That's not how it works. Either of you.

Jack

Ennis! So how do I know you won't just pull an Anna. Ennis, TELL ME WHAT YO…

Romeo sprite comes to Jack sprite

Romeo

Guys, look at the entrance.

Ennis

It appears to be Chand

Romeo

I believe it is. No one else wears that hat.

Romeo

He's leaving the compound

Jack

And he tricked us, he left the lights on at this place.

Ennis

Why is he venturing solo. It's too much of an even fight. He won't do much beside die.

Romeo

Maybe he wants to die...

Ennis, Romeo, Jack

Jack

No way, I don't think he would do something like this. What about us?

Romeo

Are you sure you would want to live without of the love of your life? He just gave us the slip.

Ennis

Regardless, we have the option to pursue. Let's take it.

Ennis

Let's head out. He needs backup either case.

Fade Out

Act Three- Resolution

Fade In

Bridge - Outdoor- Night

The three players follow the trail. Along the way, they avoid traps that are already set. One location: a bridge. Think fallout bridge. After avoiding the traps, they see Chand. He is sitting over a corpse looking at them. Chand is sitting.

Romeo

You feeling alright?

Chand

Heh, "is that what your reading says"

Romeo

I would rather bring depression than worry.

Jack

Chand, I like you in my life. Don't kill yourself.

Ennis

Unlike the rest of humanity Chand, we are a community

Chand

Heh. Community.

Chand

Sighs...

Chand

Guys, don't worry. I was never going kill myself.

Ennis

YES!!!!! I mean... I told the same thing to these guys here

Romeo

(Looks at Ennis and sighs) (Looks to Chand) Chand, don't worry us like that. This world is scary enough.

Jack

Chand, we love you even if Anna is gone.

Chand

Thank you Jack. Having you guys makes not having her easier.

Romeo

What are you doing out here?

Chand

Looking for love.

Chand

A solo pairing

Ennis

What! That's basically a suicide. What's going through your head?

Chand

Guys, I had lot of thoughts over the last week. Suicide,

Chand

Then I thought about giving up on love and doing what you were talking about, just living, drinking, playing, playing, and repeat.

Romeo

Well, to be honest Chand. What's there left for us? No offense to you guys (points at Ennis and Jack), but that's all. And no girl is gonna travel and risk their life just to say hello to us

Chand

Sitting at the cozy compound isn't our only option. What about what we are doing right now? Four of us outside the compound...at NIGHT.

Romeo

What are you saying? It's dangerous out here, I know that

Ennis

He's saying... we go out and embark on a pairing.

Romeo and Jack stare at Ennis, then to Chand

Romeo and Jack

Are you f*****g crazy?

Romeo

There is nothing here but death.

Jack

That's the only guarantee on self-server territory.

Chand

Ennis

They're right Chand. Let's go back. Love isn't worth dying for. One alone out there will die eventually. Four out there will die later, but eventually. Let's go back.

Chand

This is why I set out by myself. I knew you guys would say no..

Romeo

Of course!

Chand

No, I'm going.

Jack

Chand, what about us, the compound. Dying means nothing out there. I don't want to lose you!

Chand

We already are Jack.

Romeo

Let's drop that conversation. Chand, just think about it or better yet, think about it in the compound. Let's...go...BACK

Chand

Chand

Allright, I'll come..

Fade Out

Fade In

Compound campsite - Outdoor- Daytime

We open to the three musketeers eating food and talking about boring stuff, preferably food. We see Chand approach the three at the fire.

Chand

Hey guys

Romeo

What's up?

Chand

Are you guys done eating, I want to say a few things

Romeo

We're good man. What's up?

Chand

I am going for a pairing. I leave tomorrow morning. And I ask you, my best friends to join me. Especially you Romeo

Romeo

Chand, we went over this. We will die!

Jack

It's nice HERE, it's not nice out THERE!!

Ennis

A pairing works because there are 20 vs one, not one vs one..

Chand

I know. I do not ask this of you lightly. Jack and Ennis, your choice is your own; I only wish the best of you.

Chand

Romeo. What do you want?

Romeo

Wait...what do you mean?

Chand

What do you want?

Romeo

I mean, I guess. I guess I want some time to watch some shows or more HES time.

Chand

Is that really what you want?

Romeo

Yeah

Chand

Is that what you choose out of everything that is possible?

Romeo

Well...I'd rather be some place safe with friends and family. I'd also like to maybe fight without consequences.

Chand

I think you want love.

Romeo

That's not an option man. Look at the world.

Romeo

Even more, love is just feelings or hormones. A drug induced state to make babies. It's outdated. Even if you did want it, there is always just the SAMS for me. Way I see it, I'm good here. I'm set for the rest of my days.

Chand

There's nothing wrong with that, and most everyone does that.

Chand

but those aren't your choices. Character, not code, is what you seem to want.

Chand

Are we, your friends, the same as the programs?

Romeo

No, I didn't mean it that way.

Chand

My Anna was not the same as the program.

Romeo

Look, I want human connection and love for myself, but I'm realistic and what I have isn't bad.

Chand

The choice is as important as the result. I choose love.

Chand

Goodbye Romeo, I set off by myself.

Jack

Chand! You've inspired me. I want to see you find love.

Chand

Ennis, are you coming? I'm going regardless

Ennis

Jack, I'm obligated to be with you. But Chand, I'm inspired to fight with you. Besides, more social opportunities out there.

Ennis

(Rolls eyes)

Romeo

All by myself, I see. My options are to make friends with those here or with those who come...eventually.

Romeo

Although I choose safety, I want you to have some of my QC for your sake.

Chand

Thank you Romeo.

Chand

but I reiterate my point: you need love in your life.

Romeo

Love is simply when lady luck and biology align for you. Things are okay here.  

Fade Out

Fade In

Compound Entrance - Outdoor - Daytime

We open to the three stepping out. They stop as the sun rises.

Chand

The beauty of a sun rise never gets old.

Ennis

In the very beginning of human history, the sun rise was the only thing that united everyone.

Ennis

All forms of life awaited the sun, and forgot about the hunt.

Chand

Such unity doesn't last for long I must admit. The gaze toward beauty turns to prey instead.

Ennis

No reason unity can't continue. Still potential for perhaps another city.

Chand

A city? A real city? Even in my digital memories, I cannot fathom so many people together.

Ennis

Society, no matter how fragmented, still exists.We have the resources and the knowledge, we simply need the relationships. Perhaps this not only a pairing between lovers, but also the world.  

Jack

Stop...we will talk more about this later

Ennis

Allright Jacky. (smiles)

Jack

(smiles)

Chand

Allright, enough reminiscing. Let's move. Eyes for traps. Ennis, scan 6 o'clock. Jack and I will handle 10 and 2.

Jack

Sighs. I hate thirds.

We see the three begin to move.

Romeo

Wait, let me take the 3.

The three stare back to Romeo

Jack

Lover boy is back!

Ennis

This makes the four easier. Let me take point and pace.

Chand

Worth it?

Romeo

….worth it





© 2017 chimetime


Author's Note

chimetime
Sorry I been mute on poetry. This story has gone through many many rewrites. More poetry now that my game story is done. Copied straight from Google Docs. Story is long. I estimate 10 mins to finish. No offense taken if you do not read.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
Added on November 15, 2017
Last Updated on November 15, 2017
Tags: Technoapocalpse, love, dating, pairing, sci-fi

Author

chimetime
chimetime

Seattle, WA



Writing
Treadmill Treadmill

A Poem by chimetime