Peace For Al

Peace For Al

A Story by Chris Rankine
"

a world full of hatred, 1 shooting star, millions of wishes leading to a desire as old as time.

"

Peace For All

 

The world stunk.

That was Benny’s opinion. One that no doubt others would echo.

As an American, he had learned all about his country’s history.

Battles and wars were littered throughout U.S history. World War two, Vietnam, the Cold War, Iraq to name but a few.

Why could people not get along?

When two countries fought, inevitable other nations got involved, leading to more fighting and hatred.

 

Benny was lying in his back garden, looking up at the night sky.

It was Christmas eve, his favourite time of year.

His thoughts turned to Christmas day, presents, family and a big turkey dinner.

A smile as wide as the Clyde appeared on his face.

The negative thoughts about the world had vanished.

It was whilst he lay there thinking about what presents he was hoping to get that the shooting star flew across the night sky.

He smiled and made a wish.

 

 

Donny was always happiest when he was singing.

Tonight he was singing Christmas carols with the choir he had joined.

He adored this time of year, people often put their differences aside, or were in better, more positive moods.

He loved seeing people, the look on their faces, the smiles and joy something simple like Christmas caroles brought people.

This evening had been the best yet.

Christmas eve was always the best evening. Big crowds were guaranteed, young families, old and young couples alike, often elderly people who had been brought by family, or had made a big effort to leave their homes to be a part of something, perhaps even just for the company.

The choir had got a big round of applause after they had finished.

After the crowd had started to disperse, Donny was still on a high. It was a lovely clear evening, a perfect night sky. Amongst the twinkling stars, Donny seen a shooting star.

He made a wish.

 

Sanjeev was at home with his wife and two-year-old daughter.

They had changed his life. He had gone through his life without really knowing what he wanted.

He had a job installing IT systems for offices. It was fine. The pay was decent.

The thought of going home to his family was what drove him on. Not money or ambition. Money was all well and good, but family are priceless, at least to him.

His daughter was his pride and joy, he could just sit and watch her play all day long.

He was out playing with his daughter in the garden, or at least what passed for a garden, it was a small patch of grass, with a narrow path leading to a garden shed.

These simple times made him the happiest.

He wished everybody could feel this way, nobody could feel hatred or pain.

Sanjeev noticed his daughter looking up to the sky, he followed her gaze.

He seen the same thing, a shooting star.

He made a wish.

Who knows, perhaps his daughter did too.

 

 

Sergei lay on the ground staring up at the sky, a bullet wound in his shoulder, he was losing blood at an alarming rate.

All around him was the sound of guns, explosions and men shouting and screaming.

This war seemed so pointless, Sergei could not recall what it was for, or why or when it started.

He, like all soldiers were given weapons and ordered to kill. But why?

The shooting star flew across the night sky, Sergei noticed it.

He made a wish.

 

Across the world, millions of people seen the shooting star.

Each making their own wish.

As Christmas Eve made way for Christmas Day, the world awoke to what at first seemed like a normal day.

The same excitement for Christmas, However, there was something different.

Around the world a peace had broken out.

Countries at war reached out to one another for a truce.

Nobody wanted violence anymore. It solved nothing.

Enemies became friends. Soldiers in warzones united to help their comrades.

Weapons were discarded.

Handshakes and hugs all around.

War zones were filled not with gunfire or bombs, instead with laughter and singing.

They were now brothers and sisters in arms, not enemies.

 

The peace extended to everywhere and everyone, from neighbourhoods to workplaces, to parliament, even to sports events.

Rivalries were now good spirited and friendly, both sets of fans gave each team and a player a standing ovation.

The global peace last everyday of every year.

The world was a happy tranquil place.

Humans had finally realised they could co-exist, no need for vacuous wars, or pathetic point scoring.

Nobody knew where this peace came from.

Nobody cared anymore. Happiness is overwhelming.

The peace may have been a by-product of this happiness, or perhaps there really was a miracle.

Either way there was peace on Earth at last.

The wish of millions had come true.

© 2023 Chris Rankine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on December 23, 2023
Last Updated on December 23, 2023
Tags: shooting star, peace