5 Tips to Make Your Writing More Intriguing and Attractive to the Reader

5 Tips to Make Your Writing More Intriguing and Attractive to the Reader

A Story by Chris Richardson
"

Tips for true modern writers who want to improve their writing and make their reader happy.

"


What does a modern reader like? Do you think they like Marcel Proust? Such readers who want extreme intellectual stimuli are rare gems. They are willing to put in a lot of effort to understand the book or story they are reading. They dissect the author’s work and dig through their own emotions, awakened by the stream of complex words. That character is not your average modern reader.

Don’t get this wrong: there’s absolutely nothing wrong with an average reader. These are people who don’t have much time to read. Most of them don’t devote their lives to exploring literature. They have jobs, families, and social activities to deal with. Reading is a pastime activity they enjoy. They need adventure, emotion, and action. They need your writing to be intriguing.

How do you get that special factor of attraction? How do you make your books and stories attractive for as many readers as possible? We’ll give you 5 tips to follow.

1.  First, Find Your Enthusiasm. Then, Share It

When writers are looking for tips on how to make their work more intriguing for a modern reader, they usually get this recommendation: find out what works and stick to it. You’re advised to go explore Goodreads and Amazon, and find the books the readers are excited about.

Yes, it’s important to find out what people like to read nowadays. What about what you like? It’s easy to lose your enthusiasm if you get caught up in the world of mainstream themes.

The passion for the subject you’re tackling captures the reader through your writing. You need to write about something you’re passionate about. If it’s not trendy, maybe you’ll create a new trend.

Needless to say, thinking about the reader is still important. What do you want to write about? What do the readers want to read? If you make those ends meet, you’ll have a winning idea.

2. Simplicity Still Works

Sophisticated writing style is consistently superior to transparent prose that the reader easily comprehends. It’s recommended to utilize complex sentence structures and exceptional words.

Didn’t that language make you nauseous? Fortunately, flashy writing style is no longer the deal. If there are endless words and sentences in your content, the modern reader won’t like it. Remember Hemingway? Masterful writing is all about making a huge point with few words.

Choose simple words, write short sentences, and use active voice. That’s how you’ll keep the reader relaxed and focused on the message.

3. Talk to Your Readers

If you think about some of your favorite books, you’ll realize the authors spoke to you. You felt like a friend was telling you a story. They talked, but they also asked questions. You had the feeling that you were drawn in that story and felt everything the characters were feeling.

You can create the same feeling for your readers. Dare to have a conversation. Throw in a question that makes them think.

“How can one be well… when one suffers morally?” That’s from Tolstoy’s War and Peace. The author asks a simple question that engages the reader. Do you see the point?

4. Express Your Own Opinion

Questions are great! However, you don’t want to leave the readers hanging. They want to find out what you think. Think independently and infuse your intelligent responses to something everyone is wondering about.

Here’s how Tolstoy did it:

“Why does an apple fall when it is ripe? Is it brought down by the force of gravity? Is it because its stalk withers? Because it is dried by the sun, because it grows too heavy, or because the boy standing under the tree wants to eat it? None of these is the cause… Every action of theirs, that seems to them an act of their own freewill is in the historical sense not free at all but is bound up with the whole course of history and preordained from all eternity.”

We took Tolstoy as an example again because he expressed strong opinions in War and Peace. This book is still popular for the modern reader not because of the story, but because of the author’s voice.

5. Appeal to All Senses

When a reader enters a scene, they should visualize it. Moreover, they should feel how things smell and feel like. You can achieve such an impression if you use sensory words.

Practice the art of descriptive writing. Through the way you describe the scenery, you can create suspense, love, sadness, and any other feeling you want the reader to experience.

 

Modern writing is enthusiastic, conversational, opinionated and descriptive, but simple at the same time. It’s not an easy balance to find. That’s exactly why you should start practicing today!

© 2017 Chris Richardson


Author's Note

Chris Richardson
Chris Richardson is a journalist and editor at EssayGeeks.co.uk service. He loves to write, learn new things, and meet new outgoing people.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is a very interesting topic. I think that when you read informative post you gain new knowledge and it develops our mind. https://essaysnassignments.co.uk/essay-writing-service/


Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

425 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2017
Last Updated on July 11, 2017
Tags: writing, readers

Author

Chris Richardson
Chris Richardson

London, United Kingdom



About
Chris Richardson is an editor and a blogger from London. He is also a part of Essay Geeks team. Chris finds his inspiration in writing. Meet him on Twitter and Google+. more..