UNTOLD HISTORY

UNTOLD HISTORY

A Story by chrisdad kojo arthur
"

Untold history throws light on discrimination against the girl child regarding education and some societal benefits

"
UNTOLD HISTORY                                                                                                                                   It was  Saturday Morning in  Tufukrom, the entire village seemed to be confronted by clots of dust, and the fresh leaves which were admired few days ago had started withering in their dry states. This could not be attributed to any bad omen, especially when the folks of the village were aware of the harmattan season. The farmers in Tufukrom could not be ungrateful to nature which hitherto had been fair to them; so they embraced forbearance.                                                                                                                                                                                     Kofi Anokye, the head of the famous Anokye family in Tufukrom was a diligent farmer who was never willing to attribute lack of farm products to harmattan season. He and his wife, Ama Anokye, were at will and top to keep the farm in good shape as they always left for farm even before the c***s called. Yaa Serwah, their daughter contributed immensely her effort diligently to achieving her father’s aim. Kwame Anokye, unlike his sister Yaa, couldn’t have enough time for farm due to school, as a result, was seldom present in the farm helping in his own small capacity. His limited time spent in farm as compared to his sister, Yaa was due to a tradition in Tufukrom which prohibited girls from attending schools: girls in Tufukrom were disallowed from getting formal education.                                                                                                                                                                                       Not even a single girl or lady was seen in uniform in Tufukrom under the pretext of a mere taboo. Many people tried giving historical happenings which resulted in prohibition of girls from schooling.                                                                                                                                                                                

Background 


When the white man arrived in Tufukrom decades ago, he introduced education; during that era, women were hesitant in sending their children (girls) to schools due to the perception which was registered in minds and hearts of people: women were for the kitchen coupled with the stereotype which existed. The White man tried to convince the parents to allow their girls to participate in education, giving them the benefits that could be derived. Girls eventually started schooling and at a point were even flooding schools than boys. The white man became very happy until a lady who had been trained and educated by the white established schools stood to challenge his authority. Ama Mansah became an intelligent lady who could write dexterously. She was employed by the white man to help him in his administration on behalf of the White man’s country. Ama Mansah detested and contested the White man’s divide and rule tactics which was facilitated through the chiefs of Tufukrom. With the foreknowledge that the chiefs were less educated, the White man tried using them  as a media through which information could be communicated to the folks of the village;  and also luring them into signing agreements the chiefs knew little or nothing about their implications. Ama Mansah thought it was about time she put a stop to the Whiteman’s deceitful rule in Tufukrom.  This took the White man by surprise because even the black educated men who had been with him for years could not go beyond the superiority limit. The White man realized that if anyone would challenge him, it was going to be a woman. During that same period, Ama Mansah was empowering Girl child education in Tufukrom. This compelled the white man to conspire with the chiefs of Tufukrom to bring an end to girl child education by frivolously speaking on behalf of the gods : claiming they were angry at the way women were being educated lately at the expense of their traditional duties.  


They tried buttressing their claim by deliberately killing women in the village to express the god’s anger. Ama Mansah rose against the decision by speaking and writing on behalf of Tufukrom. She together with other educated women was at will and top to fight from dawn till dusk to compel the chiefs and the Whiteman to relent the decision. Though at a point Ama Mansah became daunted with the issue due to the high mortality rate among her followers of the fight, she still pursued.


 The struggle began going down the drain when some of the black educated men ostensibly joined the struggle in order to help the Whiteman to shutter the dream of Ama Mansah.  

Ama Mansah, who thought she had had strong support from these men, became very optimistic about the struggle. The black educated men planned to meet with Ama Mansah to find a way forward. The meeting was actually earmarked to betray Ama Mansah; as the Whiteman was present without her knowledge. 


Ama Mansah was compelled to sign an Agreement , which she vehemently refused alas, the black educated men appended signatures ; which implied that majority of them had come into agreement that Girls should be banned from attending schools in Tufukrom.  


Ama Mansah was once found dead in her room with a note which read

‘’the selfish stomach betrayed his home

The time will come when those who fed him will go to Rome

After they had collapsed his stool

I leave for my ancestors’ premise

I wash my hands off the consequences’’


The note was found by her niece, Ama Anokye who was then with her after her (Anokye)  Mother’s death. She was too young by then to have understood what her auntie scripted after her death. That ended the story of girl child education in Tufukrom with the false story attributed to the gods.






Kwame Anokye was an intelligent young lad who was admired by many folks in Tufukrom;  he became the light of the Anokye family since he was the only male child. Yaa Serwah though uneducated, exuded signs of intelligence in all her actions .Her mother, Ama Anokye , was not really surprised because her (Anokye) grandmother’s sister, Ama Mansah was an intelligent heroine in the announce of Tufukrom; so she could be vested with her traits. Yaa Serwah always amazed her brother, Kwame Anokye , each time she took his books with the zeal to read. Kwame realized his sister was poised to study, but her parents always warned her about the story of the gods each time she tried.


 She was known for her intelligent questions, and kwame always boasted of his sister each time he spoke with his friends in school. Yaa Serwah had a dream of rising up one day to put an end to the ban on girl child education in Tufukrom, but the question that kept running through her mind was how. 


She found that dream close to impossibility when she knew for a fact that girls were not even allowed to school  , let alone have the mouth to speak on behalf of the girls.  Kwame Anokye completed Tufukrom Senior High School, the only senior high School in the village  , with distinction. Ever since the school was established, his results became the best ever recorded. He was celebrated in the whole village; this instigated the chief to call him to the palace and congratulate him.


The whiteman’s presence in Tufukrom created and established a tie which still existed. They were willing to provide scholarships to brilliant students in Tufukrom to study in their countries. Most students   who left the village  to study in the White man’s country rarely came back home. It was the turn of Kwame Anokye. His father became very pessimistic about his son’s return. This made him want to refuse the offer but was conviced by friends and family. 

Though he was reluctant, he allowed Kwame Anokye to pursue his dream.

 Yaa Serwah became very happy because she felt that was a great opportunity for her to fight the course of ending the ban on girl child education since she could influence her brother to take decisions if he finished and became a great man of the land.


A day prior to Kwame Anokye’s departure, he was nowhere to be found in the house. The family was not really perturbed because they believed he was out to have a nice time with his friends before leaving. The sun started shifting her waist to the west and Kwame was still not seen, Yaa Serwah and her mother began  to worry. Yaa Serwah started moving to all possible places she knew her brother could go but couldn’t find him. Yaa became more worried as the moon finally visited them.


 The elders of the village had come to the Anokye Family to bid their son a befitting farewell , since they found that to be a great achievement; especially when fifteen years before that time, no one had had such an opportunity in Tufukrom.


 The elders were met with the news and became worried too. Whiles people were worried and disturbed, Kwame’s father knew how far his son could go in the Tufukrom village,’’my son is a country boy, he will surely come back’’ he said jovially.  Few minutes after, a man carried his fellow young man on his shoulders and walked towards the premise of the Anokye Family.  Ama Anokye bitterly said with her eyes flooded with tears ‘'h no, this can’t be my son’’. The men in the house surprisingly and curiously looked at the man as he drew nigh. At a point, the man stood as though he were a statue, this deepened the curiosity.


Yaa Serwah ran to meet him and behold, it was her brother, Kwame Anokye who had bitten the dust. “I found him dead in a pathway to your farm, when I saw him, I thought he was intoxicated because I noticed he was holding this  bag which had in it this big grass cutter and fresh plan wine , but much as I tried calling him, he didn’t give me an ear let alone eyes, then I realized the ancestors had deafened him’’ the man narrated.  Tears overflowed in the house. Much as the elders tried consoling Ama and her daughter, they couldn’t cease mourning. 


Kwame Anokye left for the farm to catch that big grass cutter for his family as a gift before leaving for the Whiteman’s country, but the good surprise has rather spawned a sorrowful one.



After that death, Yaa Serwah was never herself. Her father also took ill and after some months, joined the ancestors. The problem and grief became aggravated in the Anokye family. Pictures of Kwame Anokye caused her tears to roll every day and night. Yaa Serwah at a point in life held herself together and overcame the past happenings, though she was sometimes reminded bitterly. She and her mother became more than friends. Yaa also befriended her late brother, Kwame’s best friend, Boakye. They both became more than siblings which somewhat wiped the pain Kwame and his Father caused her. She could go to the farm with Boakye on daily basis and had nice time together. Yaa Serwah still had the village at heart and was willing to transform it through girl child education. She discussed her intentions to Boakye who advised her not to even dream of it; ‘'the gods will be angry with you ‘’ he warned. Yaa Serwah who though didn’t know the true story behind it, never believed in the pretext. ‘'do you think the gods hate girl child education’’ she curiously asked, ‘'yes ,they do, because women were dying due to education’’ Boakye boldly replied. 


Yaa Serwah portraying her grandmother’s sister’s character never stopped the dream.''I  will halt this mess one day , trust me’’ she confidently said. This was met with laughter from both of them.



It was four( 4) years after the death of Kwame and his Father. One evening, Yaa’s mother sat her down when she was 13 and spoke to her. She advised Yaa to be a strong woman and never give in to pressure from men; she advised her to be hard working and pursue her dream to the fullest. After the advice, the only thing that came to Yaa’s mind was education. Her mother worked diligently on the farm and enriched herself and her daughter until she also demised when Yaa turned 16. Yaa’s world became a solitary one, because her only mother whom she could speak with had also left. Though it was a difficult moment for her, she found it to be the right time for her to realize her dream. After her parent’s death, many farmers in the village approached Yaa to sell the farm to them since they realized it was a rich farm that every farmer would want to possess.


 Yaa handed over the farm to Boakye and his uncle, Kofi badu,  who was then a great friend to Yaa’s father.  Yaa spoke with Boakye to assist her reach the city, but he  thought it was not a good idea for someone like Yaa who knew no one in the city to go there however,Yaa insisted. 


Boakye enquired substantial information about the city from his uncle, Kofi Badu,  who had worked with some people who were living in the city. Yaa left for the city without anybody but Boakye’s knowledge. She confided in Boakye and warned him not to let anyone, not even his uncle, know of her whereabouts. ‘’I will be fine, don’t tell anybody I have left for the city’’ Yaa humbly warned. 

Though Boakye wasn’t really happy with Yaa’s decision, he had no option than to pray to support his sister.  Yaa carried her small bag which was full of money looking for a place just to lay her head. The very moment she stepped foot on the land, she realized unlike Tufukrom, many people had flooded the streets going about their daily activities. At one breath, She became uncomfortable with the environment she found herself and wished she could go back, but  at  another, she saw the city as her heaven found.  

She saw a bevy of ladies grouped at a place whose work was to carry bags for people. She drew nigh to one of the ladies to know what exactly they were doing. Yaa was not so confident in the language she was going to speak with the ladies, but as she got closer, she realized they could understand her. When she learnt that they carried the bags and stuff in exchange of money, she decided to join and befriend them. They welcomed her warmly and gave her a place in the market where they all lived. Though it wasn’t to her satisfaction, she understood the condition in which she was. They all lived happily together. One sunny day, a woman called Yaa to carry her bag which was full of foodstuff to her house. Whiles Yaa was carrying the bag, the woman tried interrogating her, and realized Yaa was quite different among all the ladies she had met as far as carrying of her bags was concerned.

 Her politeness, intelligence and decorom spoke on her behalf. The woman decided to adopt Yaa and help her school. Yaa became reluctant as a result of the relationship that she had established with her friends in the market, but her friends advised her to concur  because that was the opportunity most of them had been waiting for. Yaa joined the woman, Mrs Asante , whose husband had traveled abroad with her only son.


Yaa brought smiles to Mrs Asante as she exhibited respect and diligence in whatever she did. She treated her as her only daughter. Yaa started schooling in a nearby school. Despite her house chores, Yaa was always on top of her academics. She became known in her school. Despite her age, she was never ashamed but rather poised to learn from friends. Yaa completed Junior High School at age 23 with distinction. Mrs Asante was ready to help Yaa continue the school to the Senior High level . It was that period hat Mr Asante was reported dead .


Mr. Asante’s son, Nana ,arrived in the country and broke the news to his mother. Sad Mrs Asante at a point had to hold herself together though it was a difficult moment. When Nana saw Yaa, he beheld her glory and became interested in her. Mrs Asante realized what was transpiring and became very unhappy. She tried preventing any possibility of both being together. She couldn’t understand why her son would leave all the beautiful ladies and fall for a lady she picked from the street. The love between both of them was climbing to the crescendo gradually. Though Yaa tried to prevent it, Nana always insisted and sometimes threatened Yaa to do what he requested lest, he would convince his mother to send her out. 


Mrs Asante finally decided to hand over Yaa to one of her bosom friends , who was an owner of a ‘’chop bar’’ to the blindspot of  Nana.

 Mrs. Asante and Nana in the aftermath left for Abroad under the pretext of going for Mr. Asante’s corpse.


Yaa known for her respect and diligence, was liked by everybody at the "chop bar’’ 


Every customer wanted Yaa to serve him or her. Yaa decided to get enrolled in a senior high School with her own money so she could join the Chop Bar in the evening. Yaa was allowed because the ‘'chop bar’’ was run on shift basis. Yaa took the opportunity and started schooling at a nearby school. She at times would doze off in class whiles studies was ongoing. A teacher by name Kofi Arthur noticed what was transpiring and called Yaa to satisfy his curiosity. When Yaa made it known to him, he wanted to accept Yaa in his apartment, but his wife wouldn’t permit;  he knew. 


He didn’t want to remind his wife of a similar instance which almost caused divorce in her marital affairs. Despite dozing off in class, Yaa was an intelligent student that no one could gainsay. Mr. kofi Arthur helped Yaa to attain scholarship to continue her education. This compelled Yaa to quit the Chop Bar but pleaded with the Chop bar owner to allow her sleep around in the course of her schooling. The chop bar

 owner’s empathy impelled her to heed to Yaa’s request.  Yaa bumped into a friend in the school called Edwina. Edwina, who was very studious, noticed that Yaa was a great lady she could befriend in the school. When Edwina came to know Yaa hadn’t gotten a permanent place to lay her head, she convinced her to join her in her room; since she was the only person living in her apartment. Though Yaa was hesitant, she eventually joined Edwina and became known by all and sundry as sisters in the school, though they were reading different courses. 

Yaa and Edwina were beautiful ladies whom guys in the school would want to clamor for, but their studiousness alone scared a lot of them away. Yaa was very focused and studious in school, likewise Edwina.

They eventually completed the school with distinction and gained scholarship to study abroad. Yaa decided to read law with the motive of testing the law in favor of the folks of Tufukrom pertaining to the gender inequality as far as education was concerned. At that period, Yaa knew God had listened to her prayers and the time was due for her to show the world that she dreamed and lived it.  


Edwina took another path: medicine, since she had always aspired to become a doctor in life. Yaa studied hard and was adjudged the best student of the law school she attended and became a full legal practitioner in aftermath of graduation. It was emphatic that Yaa was on cloud nine; an exciting moment she couldn’t have imagined that would come her way, but this great moment also met another sad stage in her life when the news was broken to her about her good friend, Edwina’s death following a fatal accident she was involved in. 


This took her bosom friend’s life away. A very sad story she couldn’t stand, especially when her friend was almost done with her course and was about becoming a practicing doctor.  Yaa had always promised Edwina one thing, and that was to put a stop to the ban on girl child education in Tufukrom. Edwina also promised Yaa that they would fight together, but death couldn’t let them reach that dream. Nevertheless, Yaa was still poised to fight the course to honor her good friend, Edwina.


Boakye, who had become a man now with his family, always, spoke about Yaa to his children and wife. He always told them to remember Yaa in prayers because she left the farm on which they  fed and that same farm had created  a great man and family. He was at a point tempted to believe that Yaa was no more, and sometimes blamed himself for allowing Yaa to leave.



One day, Yaa Serwah rose and started writing and speaking for the country to hear her cry on Tufukrom. She went the extra mile of petitioning courts and writing articles that were published daily with the focus on Tufukrom. Nana Asante, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Asante  , whose mother adopted Yaa had also become a lawyer. He once read the write-ups and listened to the speeches by an African woman whom he admired so much; just to realize it was the lady whom he wanted to be with sometime ago.  Nana Asante at a point couldn’t believe that could be Yaa until he convinced himself by looking closely at that same lady he admired sometime ago.


 He tried come hell or high water and came in touch with Yaa Serwah. He afterwards promised her he was willing to work with her to get her mission accomplished. Yaa was filled with joy when she realized Nana had even identified her. Other human right lawyers rallied behind Yaa to fight the course.


Boakye couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw Yaa in a midst of men and women in black suits. Yaa revealed herself to Boakye and he said ‘'this is the greatest lady of our time’’. Yaa remembered the short story her mother told her about her grandmother’s sister’s death and what she wrote

‘’the selfish stomach betrayed his home

The time will come when those who fed him will go to Rome

After they had collapsed his stool

I leave for my ancestors premise

I wash my hands off the consequences’’

Though Yaa didn’t know really inspired this quote, she used the same note and said let’s not allow this to happen in Tufukrom again ;  trying to create her own story about the death of her grandmother’s sister. Many elders were quite surprised because some of them knew the truth but were quiet.  Some of them stood against Yaa’s course under the pretext that they were going contrary to the laws of the land and were trying to discontinue tradition. These elders and chiefs were sponsored by the White man to fight against Yaa and her team’s course.  Yaa Serwah’s Charisma made her win hearts of many folks in the village. Most of the people in the village became inspired to have seen Yaa, a farmer’s daughter from a land where girls were banned from schooling become a lawyer.  This created the impression that the tradition in Tufukrom wasn’t appropriate; consequently, the folks were inspired to discontinue the tradition. Much as the elders and the chiefs tried, Yaa Serwah was able to mobilize people in the village with the help of other folks like Boakye, who could reach out to many friends and convinced them to join the course. Demonstrations were made before the chief’s palace, some elders were chased out of their houses and noise was made every day and night just to see the ban lifted. Yaa Serwah spoke to the folks to refrain from violent acts and do it peacefully because she believed they were going to emerge victorious. Their voice was heard everywhere in Tufukrom and across borders; as other towns and cities came in to help the course. The time came when the chief and elders couldn’t stand the pressure anymore. 


So that happy day which was called ‘'3mma da’’(girl’s day) in  Tufukrom, the ban on girl child education was lifted and girl child education came to stay . Every girl in the village had the opportunity to be enrolled in schools. Yaa Serwah didn’t end the course there, but reached out to parents and convinced them to be aware of the need to send the girl child to school. Yaa Serwah became a heroine in Tufukrom Village ,whose name was used by many even after demise. 


Yaa Serwah and Nana Asante tied the knot and were blessed together. Mrs. Asante couldn’t live to witness what she tried hard to prevent. 

Though the real history of Tufukrom behind girl child education wasn’t told to the folks of the land, the story changed through the struggle of that wonderful African woman, Yaa Serwah.







© 2021 chrisdad kojo arthur


Author's Note

chrisdad kojo arthur
Let's build the girl child

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on October 27, 2021
Last Updated on October 27, 2021

Author

chrisdad kojo arthur
chrisdad kojo arthur

Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana



About
My name is Arthur chrisdad kojo(C.K) , a creative writer. more..

Writing